NEWS

Pharmaceuticals

• 20 Replies

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« on: <05-09-11/1915:51> »
Do you think it's possible to get a Psyche Chemical Gland bioware?
There's though whole naturally occurring substances limitation, but they also list examples like cyanide or nitrous oxide.

Also, it may be a silly question, but what do you picture Shadowrun drugs looking like?
The mentat character I've been doodling around with has a Psyche habit, and I'm wondering how they take it.  Sounds like a designer drug pill, but I've always thought there aren't enough inhaler drugs in fiction.
« Last Edit: <05-12-11/0649:22> by Rockopolis »
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-09-11/2001:50> »
There are one use inhalers called Poppers for some drugs

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-10-11/0339:33> »
Do you think it's possible to get a Psyche Chemical Gland bioware?
No, i think it's pretty save to say that designer drugs aren't naturally occurring substances, nor are they in the least likely to be simple compounds made of elements found
naturally in the body.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Rockopolis

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <05-10-11/0618:39> »
Yeah, you're probably right.  I was just hoping that someone could come up with a good arguement for having it.  Looks like I'll have to take my drugs the old fashioned way. :P
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <05-11-11/1447:23> »
Remember that in Shadowrun you can take drugs in any vector you want.  Psyche can be pills, slappatches, inhaler, cigarettes, or needles.

As for the chemical gland argument, I'll try my best.  So a designer drug is a drug that is made to mimic the effects of another drug typically for legal reasons.  Typically this is done by slightly altering the chemical formula or using a completely different formula that nonetheless has the same effect.  Since Psyche is a designer drug, that means that there is an "original" drug that Psyche is mimicking.  That drug might be natural. 

Another is Psyche is likely some relative of Ritalin and that's an organic chemical (C14H19N02).  I could see a genetically engineered bacteria being able to make it and thus you can create cells that can make it.  I could be totally wrong and you need high temperatures or something to create it, but odds are the GM won't know either.

Basically it boils down to the GM's call since the description in Augmentation is way too ambiguous for all but the most clear cut cases (no Plutonium glands). 

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-11-11/1725:44> »
As for the chemical gland argument, I'll try my best.  So a designer drug is a drug that is made to mimic the effects of another drug typically for legal reasons.  Typically this is done by slightly altering the chemical formula or using a completely different formula that nonetheless has the same effect.  Since Psyche is a designer drug, that means that there is an "original" drug that Psyche is mimicking.  That drug might be natural. 
I wouldn't really agree with your definition of what a designer drug is, so this would never fly with me atleast.

Rockopolis

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <05-11-11/1741:16> »
Man, now I want a plutonium gland.

Rockopolis

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <05-12-11/0650:25> »
How does Slab stack up against Narcoject?  Can you use Slab in place of Narcoject?

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <05-12-11/0732:55> »
I wouldn't really agree with your definition of what a designer drug is, so this would never fly with me atleast.

While the argument is weak overall, the definition of designer drug I used is the definition of a designer drug (source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/designer+drug). 

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #9 on: <05-12-11/0739:10> »

While the argument is weak overall, the definition of designer drug I used is the definition of a designer drug (source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/designer+drug).
Ow. Zing. +1 to you sir!
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <05-12-11/0742:01> »

Doing an dictionary attack on your GM is very likely to make you a target of an orbital bovine bombardment ;)

And while that may be the dictionary definition, it's not really how it's used in the contex.

Sid

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <05-12-11/0915:40> »
How does this work when you take the false front signal drug into account?

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <05-12-11/0943:34> »

Doing an dictionary attack on your GM is very likely to make you a target of an orbital bovine bombardment ;)

And while that may be the dictionary definition, it's not really how it's used in the contex.

I'm sorry I didn't actually mean my response to be such a harsh zing as it came out to be. 

However I do suspect that's the definition used in context for Psyche.  It's an altered version of another stimulant most likely to get around some sort of patent or legal issue.  I'm not sure why it's "allegedly created by MCT" though since Psyche is a perfectly legal over the counter drug in the SR universe.  MCT could just say that they made it and things would be cool.

Now, designer drugs do have the connotation of being synthetic which is why my argument for the Psyche chemical gland is weak.  But I thought I'll give it a shot.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <05-14-11/1315:01> »
I'm sorry I didn't actually mean my response to be such a harsh zing as it came out to be. 
No harm done, that was just mostly a tongue in cheek reminder that you should never make that move when discussing the rules with you GM, as it might have nasty repercussions to your character  8)

Sid

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <05-14-11/1556:54> »
No one looked at the mimic signal drug and wondered how that stuff is natural bar me? :'(