NEWS

Sir Twist, Lofwyr, and Mr. Drake

• 31 Replies

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #15 on: <06-27-12/1847:45> »
Mask (Realistic, Multi-Sense)
Type: M • Range: T • Duration: S • DV: (F ÷ 2)

Physical Mask (Realistic, Multi-Sense)
Type: P • Range: T • Duration: S • DV: (F ÷ 2) + 1
(clipped)
Page 198.  This overrides the Mask spell, and both Lofwyr and Haesliche would know it.  Only that Sam Verner didn't succeed at his Assensing + Intuition test in regards to Drake, but in the case of Haesliche he did succeed.

Yeah ... I ... it's really hard for me to keep my jaw-hinge closed (as it were), but this is sort of egregious.  Haesslich pretty obviously didn't care, though as I recall the book, he never bothered to NOT be in his dragon form; Mr. Drake, one way or the other, was either what he was or didn't want to advertise his presence.

What gets me though, Hermes, is that you're snarky and shirty about other people's commentary when you haven't even studied up on the material.  Is it the most basic of the stuff, no - but hey, look, it's right there in the 4A Rulebook.  C'mon, man, you aren't even trying ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #16 on: <06-27-12/1903:55> »
I'm fairly certain that while Haesslich was in metahuman form for his dinner date where Twist was spying in astral form, he was only in that form because of space considerations. The people who knew what he was wouldn't be fooled by masking, and there are few better ways to keep someone from taking an astral peek at your conversations than broadcasting "I'm a dragon. Go away."
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #17 on: <06-27-12/1911:40> »
I'm fairly certain that while Haesslich was in metahuman form for his dinner date where Twist was spying in astral form, he was only in that form because of space considerations. The people who knew what he was wouldn't be fooled by masking, and there are few better ways to keep someone from taking an astral peek at your conversations than broadcasting "I'm a dragon. Go away."

Its been awhile, but thats the bit I remember.  Looked human, but all dragon in the astral.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <06-28-12/0040:14> »
You'd think Games Workshop would have been bought out by one of the UK-residing Dragons.
Who says it hasn't?

Celedyr bought out Games Workshop and has been competing with the Megacorp that has bought out Hasbro ever since. :D

Mythik

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <07-04-12/2200:26> »
You'd think Games Workshop would have been bought out by one of the UK-residing Dragons.
Who says it hasn't?

Celedyr bought out Games Workshop and has been competing with the Megacorp that has bought out Hasbro ever since. :D

They merged recently and now go by the name Games-Work-Bro!

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <07-11-12/1700:14> »
Mask (Realistic, Multi-Sense)
Type: M • Range: T • Duration: S • DV: (F ÷ 2)

Physical Mask (Realistic, Multi-Sense)
Type: P • Range: T • Duration: S • DV: (F ÷ 2) + 1
(clipped)
Page 198.  This overrides the Mask spell, and both Lofwyr and Haesliche would know it.  Only that Sam Verner didn't succeed at his Assensing + Intuition test in regards to Drake, but in the case of Haesliche he did succeed.

Yeah ... I ... it's really hard for me to keep my jaw-hinge closed (as it were), but this is sort of egregious.  Haesslich pretty obviously didn't care, though as I recall the book, he never bothered to NOT be in his dragon form; Mr. Drake, one way or the other, was either what he was or didn't want to advertise his presence.

What gets me though, Hermes, is that you're snarky and shirty about other people's commentary when you haven't even studied up on the material.  Is it the most basic of the stuff, no - but hey, look, it's right there in the 4A Rulebook.  C'mon, man, you aren't even trying ...

Actually I did. Right after I posted that I posted an editing.

I quoted Masking, the Metamagic.  You just forgot that part.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <07-11-12/2226:41> »
In other words, you didn't bother to actually fully research before initially posting.  I didn't forget it; you didn't read until after.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #22 on: <07-11-12/2252:08> »
What's bein' gained by not dropping it, at this point?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #23 on: <07-12-12/0736:51> »
This is the Internet! It is not enough that someone be wrong, we must rub their face in their wrongness, to prove how right we are, so we can win the internet!

</sarcasm>
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <07-12-12/1932:47> »

Yay for Critias. I pronounce your name Crit-E-Ass, btw. Not sure if that is how is suppose to be, but it makes me smile.

AceFace

« Reply #25 on: <08-27-12/1848:21> »
I appreciate that this is thread-o-mancy and probably no-one cares anymore, but I'm pretty sure that the implication is that Mr Drake is Haesslich. In the Into The Shadows collection of short stories, in the last story It's All Done With Mirrors, Nadia Mirin is accompanied by a Mr. Jarlath (Lattie) Drake who promptly turns into a big dragon and chases off some corrupt Lone Star people in helicopters (it's a bit convoluted the plot - it attempts to tie together all of the common threads from the other short stories, with varying levels of success).

Nadia did not move, but Lattie did. He wrenched the dragon bracelet from his left wrist and tossed it to me. The instant I caught it, the name "Haesslich" echoed through my mind in a hollow voice. I shook my head to clear it, then met his stare and knew Haesslich was Lattie's true name.

Given that Mr Drake is still "dating" Nadia Mirin in Never Deal With a Dragon, I'm pretty sure that's correct. Does that information confuse anyone's understanding of Mr Drake as he appears in the Secrets of Power Trilogy?

Black

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <08-27-12/1939:38> »
My reading was Mr Drake in the original noval was Haesslich as well.  Mr Drake was to original johnson which hired the team to 'extract' Twist, his GF (mostly as a cover story) and the real target.  He was to guy Twist assensed in the restruant.  Therefore, Mr Drake is Haesslich.

PS: does that mean Into the Shadows is set before Secrets of Power?
Perception molds reality

AceFace

« Reply #27 on: <08-28-12/0531:01> »
Seeing as Never Deal With a Dragon was originally a short story in the collection, I guess it happens at the same sort of time?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <08-29-12/0221:30> »
As most of the shorts in 'Into the Shadows' take place within perhaps a week's time - been a while since I read it, so bear with me - and the Secrets of Power evolves out of one of its short stories, one can safely say that most of the Secrets of Power trilogy takes place well after 'Into the Shadows'.  I believe that even most of the very first of the Secrets, 'Never Deal With A Dragon', takes place after the myriad shadowruns involved in the metaplot of 'Into the Shadows'.
« Last Edit: <08-29-12/0323:18> by The Wyrm Ouroboros »
Pananagutan & End/Line

Black

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <08-29-12/0254:10> »
Thanks Wyrm.. Thats interesting.  I was going to run a campaign based on the trilogy, but maybe I will give the Into the Shadows a look...
Perception molds reality