NEWS

Negotiating with stubborn metagaming players

• 28 Replies

incrdbil

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <10-14-13/1334:54> »
The problem here wasn't the player-characters balking at the low rates; the problem was the players deliberately trying to cheat by breaking Missions guidelines, and then trying to get me in trouble when I wouldn't let them cheat.

The problem was the players trying to blackmail the GM as a person using his desire to have a game. You did exactly the right thing by not catering to them.

I certainly agree, and its good to see the store owner got the full information and came out in support.  Gaming out 'in the wild' (a way I refer to store/con gaming) carries the risk of meeting players with extreme behaviors.

Greenknight046

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <10-16-13/1215:27> »
What I would've done is adjust the pay to where the players wanted it (10,000 nuYen/player), but also would have upped the table rating of the mission to match the pay change.

If the players want to play in the big leagues, let them... but make them earn their pay.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #17 on: <10-16-13/1220:38> »
There's no table rating anymore, Greenknight, and paying more isn't allowed by Missions guidelines, since it's unfair to other players.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Daedalus

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <10-16-13/1641:05> »
Also the Johnson could agree to the terms and then short them on delivery.

Attilatheyeon

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <10-16-13/2034:54> »
So, just for my info, we can't negotiate pay in mission games? I'm not thinking 10kĄ each, but maybe an extra 10%

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <10-16-13/2057:15> »
What gave you that idea? Every Mission lists "+X nuyen per net hit on a Negotiation Test, with a max of Y net hits" for payments like that.
The problem with the players described in the initial post is that they demanded a certain payment instead of rolling Negotiation to see what they could turn the offer into.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #21 on: <10-16-13/2138:59> »
there is a lot of crappy RPG players out there, believe me I have met my share of them over the years (being gaming in one system or the other since 1981)

For living campaigns, you HAVE to stick to your guns and follow the guidelines of the adventure. But these will always be those that feel they are above the rules and there is only so much you can do about those players.

IF you want to be a "total dick" about the situation, you could make a point to find out which other hobby stores in the area offer living city campaigns and stop by to drop off a list of names and descriptions of the players so that future GMs can keep an eye out for them.... :D

People that have a rep for being asshole players generally find themselves banned from hobby stores as it is harder to find GMs then it is to find players.... and most hobby store owners realize that a good GM will BRING players to their stores.. which means an increased chance to make sales...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <10-17-13/0912:19> »
What gave you that idea? Every Mission lists "+X nuyen per net hit on a Negotiation Test, with a max of Y net hits" for payments like that.
The problem with the players described in the initial post is that they demanded a certain payment instead of rolling Negotiation to see what they could turn the offer into.
It's probably just miscommunication. It doesn't clearly follow from the discussion here that those negotion tests are in missions. Most people just mention that the mission payments are set in stone (although Kincaid did mention the negotiation in passing). You and I and other that played missions know that the negotiation test is part of the mission rules  (a part that is still set in stone) but it's not unreasonable for a player without mission experience to not get that distinction from this discussion.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <10-17-13/0941:59> »
What's not reasonable, ever, is a player pulling the "Unless I get my way I'm going to torpedo your game" card that the players used here.

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <10-17-13/0946:10> »
In standard games when players do that, I break out the carrot and stick run. I give them a prize too mouthwatering to refuse, then throw their ass into hell and see if they claw their way out. The scenario isn't unbeatable (I've put many groups through it who passed through quite well) but I find players like that tend to miss simple steps and details that end up getting them scorched (literally) extra crispy

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #25 on: <10-17-13/1016:34> »
If you're playing season 4: Run Free Taiwan with this kind of players. They're going to LOVE the ending.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <10-17-13/1041:41> »
What's not reasonable, ever, is a player pulling the "Unless I get my way I'm going to torpedo your game" card that the players used here.
Oh yes, the players in the OP were definitively unreasonable. I was referring to Attilatheyeon's post only.

Deacon

• Newb
  • Call me... Deacon Blues
« Reply #27 on: <10-17-13/1553:46> »
IF you want to be a "total dick" about the situation, you could make a point to find out which other hobby stores in the area offer living city campaigns and stop by to drop off a list of names and descriptions of the players so that future GMs can keep an eye out for them.... :D
As far as I am aware, I am the only GM in town who offers Shadowrun Missions.  And I keep in contact with the other public gaming groups and hobby stores which offer public space for gaming. 

If they want to come back and play Missions, I'd still let them play.  I'm broad-minded like that.  They have to agree to play by the rules and otherwise not be disruptive to play (this includes not trying to get me in trouble with the store management again).  If they can't do that, I won't run them.  (And if they try what they did before, again, I will blacklist them from my games.  Fool me once...)
"Of course I have a superpower.  It's called a brain.  I use it."
--Johnny Zero, Children of the Atom

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #28 on: <10-17-13/1557:14> »
As far as I am aware, I am the only GM in town who offers Shadowrun Missions.  And I keep in contact with the other public gaming groups and hobby stores which offer public space for gaming. 

If they want to come back and play Missions, I'd still let them play.  I'm broad-minded like that.  They have to agree to play by the rules and otherwise not be disruptive to play (this includes not trying to get me in trouble with the store management again).  If they can't do that, I won't run them.  (And if they try what they did before, again, I will blacklist them from my games.  Fool me once...)

Good on you for having more class then those idiots.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.