NEWS

Drowning in Shadows [OOC]

• 261 Replies

AalithHUN

« Reply #30 on: <01-24-12/1442:07> »
Whichever, a mystic adept if you want, just get on it. :) The others are making good progress! Catch up! :) And make a post once in a while here just that we won't forget you  :o

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <01-24-12/1448:20> »
Ouch, that was some real overlapping...

Well, the thing is, I've really wanted to play a mage (I haven't played one in quite a long time), but I thought farothel's one seem a little bit more capable. If I would change to another concept, I would do a bio-samurai, so it would still fit in our necessities.

If you have no problem changing your character, farothel, that's ok. If you preffer not to, then I have no problem in doing it.

So it looks like a number of things are really good that everybody takes them.

@Netzgeist: I've been thinking quite some time about this and if it's OK with you, I would like to keep my mage.  I'm sorry, but I've tried to build something else and I don't seem to be able to get a good background with the numbers.  Mostly it comes to me quite easily, but now I feel blocked for some reason.  I hope you have more success and if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.  :)

@Lysanderz: maybe not too many mages.
« Last Edit: <01-24-12/1452:37> by farothel »
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

AalithHUN

« Reply #32 on: <01-24-12/1513:43> »
Oh, and besided the overlapping, have you found anything wrong in the sheets, Aalith?

Some, nothing major. Your character, for example, can double a a face if needed, he has a good, balanced spell portfolio, the only thing I'm not happy about are the chosen negative qualities. Almost every one of them is from the overused list...except for gremlins - but since he hasn't got any technical skill and only a few things (ex: commlink and weapon) that can go wild (and don't forget that chaos mages are known of their love of technology, so where is the skill to back it up?), it seems to me as you not taking chances. Don't you want to experiment a little?

I mean these are valid qualities, every one of them can have a drawback, it's just...unlikely. I can say a guidance spirit appears and begins to haunt you, but then you can fairly accuse me of "creating opportunities to punish you". Lost loved one? Wil+Log (2) test which is easy with 10 dice what you have. Records on file? I couldn't find where. And it has a subtle drawback, nothing mentioned in the book, just you are more easily located. But somehow your SIN disappeared???

So understand, by choosing these qualities, you created a hard situation for me: either I cannot use them fairly, saying that there's a realistic chance of something related to them happening (in this case you've got 35 BP plus without having to worry much about it) or I use them and force you to suffer the drawbacks they bring, but it may seem that I'm fighting against you - which is bad, because the GM and the players are one team and I've had more then one games as a GM where players tried to score some extra BP, then were surprised and argued endlessly when they choked on a strawberry infused soymeal ("but I have Olfactory booster, enhanced eye yadayada" "yeah, but you didn't say you use them on the meal..." - see, pathetic)

Conclusion: choose qualities which offer solid drawbacks or be prepared that every one of your negative quality can come up during play, even if it would have only a minor chance of that happening. :)

Kouryuu

• Prime Runner
  • The idea is to die young as late as possible -A.M.
« Reply #33 on: <01-24-12/1516:08> »

Well, the thing is, I've really wanted to play a mage (I haven't played one in quite a long time), but I thought farothel's one seem a little bit more capable. If I would change to another concept, I would do a bio-samurai, so it would still fit in our necessities.

If you have no problem changing your character, farothel, that's ok. If you preffer not to, then I have no problem in doing it.

@Netzgeist: I've been thinking quite some time about this and if it's OK with you, I would like to keep my mage.  I'm sorry, but I've tried to build something else and I don't seem to be able to get a good background with the numbers.  Mostly it comes to me quite easily, but now I feel blocked for some reason.  I hope you have more success and if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.  :)

reminder i am having a mage as well. but he is technical and drone type
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best and expect nothing!
Matrix;speaking;thinking;ExternalSourcesLink
RainDragonBar

AalithHUN

« Reply #34 on: <01-24-12/1519:36> »

And I wrote that long, nice speech... :( But please read it anyway, every character can learn from it, and you can see my thoughts about the matter (so you know I'm not punishing you without a reason  ::) )

AalithHUN

« Reply #35 on: <01-24-12/1521:42> »

reminder i am having a mage as well. but he is technical and drone type

Rat and Pigeon controlling mage! Feel the wrath of my household vermin! We'll eat all your corn! Bwuhahahaha!

:) Just kidding. Too much anime...

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
  • Serpens, nisi serpentem comederit, non fit draco
« Reply #36 on: <01-24-12/2117:48> »
Haven't read all the replies, but since farothel preffer to mantain his character, I will be changing mine. Tomorrow I will read everything and construct a new concept and sheet (and don't you worry, I will be sure to cover at least two roles in it, no problem).

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
« Reply #37 on: <01-24-12/2131:43> »
Oh, and besided the overlapping, have you found anything wrong in the sheets, Aalith?

Some, nothing major. Your character, for example, can double a a face if needed, he has a good, balanced spell portfolio, the only thing I'm not happy about are the chosen negative qualities. Almost every one of them is from the overused list...except for gremlins - but since he hasn't got any technical skill and only a few things (ex: commlink and weapon) that can go wild (and don't forget that chaos mages are known of their love of technology, so where is the skill to back it up?), it seems to me as you not taking chances. Don't you want to experiment a little?

I mean these are valid qualities, every one of them can have a drawback, it's just...unlikely. I can say a guidance spirit appears and begins to haunt you, but then you can fairly accuse me of "creating opportunities to punish you". Lost loved one? Wil+Log (2) test which is easy with 10 dice what you have. Records on file? I couldn't find where. And it has a subtle drawback, nothing mentioned in the book, just you are more easily located. But somehow your SIN disappeared???

So understand, by choosing these qualities, you created a hard situation for me: either I cannot use them fairly, saying that there's a realistic chance of something related to them happening (in this case you've got 35 BP plus without having to worry much about it) or I use them and force you to suffer the drawbacks they bring, but it may seem that I'm fighting against you - which is bad, because the GM and the players are one team and I've had more then one games as a GM where players tried to score some extra BP, then were surprised and argued endlessly when they choked on a strawberry infused soymeal ("but I have Olfactory booster, enhanced eye yadayada" "yeah, but you didn't say you use them on the meal..." - see, pathetic)

Conclusion: choose qualities which offer solid drawbacks or be prepared that every one of your negative quality can come up during play, even if it would have only a minor chance of that happening. :)

Ok, now I've read it (sorry for posting it too earlier). I agree with you on most of your reasons. The only thing I could say is that in the background portion of the sheet I explained most of the qualities and the reason I took them (even though, I can understand anyone seeing the Records on file as a bit too much far-fetched...).
Anyway, I'm going for another kind of character. Tomorrow I will present the new idea. And I will try to keep your reasonings in mind while constructing him.

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <01-24-12/2347:55> »
I think you misinterpret, my character sheet is done. I can post it up as soon as I get near a computer. I have a dozen or so character sheets (all 400bp no karma) ready to play. Some are optimized, some are newbie runners, some are just fun. Since we lack a strong thief role, I'll be playin my Mage thief I originally put in as my concept.

Skritch is a cowardly Raven Mystic-Adept (A thief totem) who specializes in getting into places. He follows the black magic tradition (seeking wealth to better his own personal power) and ha a compulsion to steal things that he rarely even tries to resist. Somewhat paranoid and greedy as hell, the good news is that he is good at what he does and quite talented at improvisation. He is pretty worthless in a magical firefight, but otherwise his combat skills are mediocre (Focusing on clubs and tasers/light pistols). Don't expect him to be too honorable or work without some kind of profit. He's trustworthy, beyond that.... Is questionable,

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <01-25-12/0106:42> »
Also, just thought I should post my qualities (Most of which Skritch won't even bother to resist).

Compulsive Behavior (Petty Theft)- Yes, he will be stealing every scrap of cred he can. He's a hoarder.
Prejudiced (Elves): I have no idea who all in the group might be an elf, but I promise various colorful insults often. He also will get a kick out of kicking an elf when they are down.
Pacifist- Though a bit of a bastard who acts all hardcore, in truth Skritch is a coward and just can't bring himself to really kill. Now he is only -5 on this quality do he COULD kill, but as of this second he is a virgin to murder and advised the team against it.
Low Pain Tolerance: Skritch is a wuss. 'nough said.
Raven: He is supposed to resist taking advantage of opportunities offered to him at inopportune times. Like picking a teammate's pocket while they lay there ubconscious. Or stopping to loot bodies in the middle of a firefight. Sometimes he might try to resist........ Most of the time money comes before common sense.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <01-25-12/0145:11> »
Haven't read all the replies, but since farothel preffer to mantain his character, I will be changing mine. Tomorrow I will read everything and construct a new concept and sheet (and don't you worry, I will be sure to cover at least two roles in it, no problem).

thanks.  :)

@Aalith: if there's any issue with my character, just PM me.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

AalithHUN

« Reply #41 on: <01-25-12/0729:31> »
@Lysanderz: Just...you know we are supposed to be team. Well I dont really see Why would Nina work with someone like that. Good thing on running is that most time you can choose who to work with, and that often there is someone with desired skillset so you don;t have to work with people you don`t like/trust ;)

Don't worry every one of you will have flaws. Of course, when you get together, you don't know about his, and in the beginning there may be friction, but then comes character improvement - and not just the karma kind. I like the totem Raven, my characters often have him, and he's an opportunist, but not a stupid one. He won't steal from his teammates, not because he doesn't want to, but because they will be together for a while and the chance of getting caught is high. Thus he'll get + modifiers to resist. And if he steals, and you catch him, the following beat-up will teach him a lesson - thus earning + modifiers next time :)

AalithHUN

« Reply #42 on: <01-25-12/0734:29> »
Clarification:

I have Kour's dronemage with me and farothel's tridmage, sorry Shaman. They are close to finishing.

Netz will think about an other character, Lyz will bring his thief. I can't wait for the file!

Oh and of course Sichr with Nina. Any indication when she'll be ready?

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <01-25-12/1016:17> »
If my character happens to be a problem, there is always my standby of Razor. He's a wheel man. If it flies, floats or drives... It works. He's also pretty good with a knife. Tends to be a down and dirty guy with a thing for hiring underground fighters for a little.... Quality time. Qualities are of course driving oriented and drug use. After all, anything to make walking seem faster than it is works for him. Everyone needs a bump, but he tries to limit himself so it doesn't become a problem. He also has a habit of picking fist fights with trolls in seedy bars. It's not a racist thing, it's just a way to pass his Saturday nights.

For the record: Yes, all of my characters have drawbacks because they aren't perfect. Drug addiction and greed are the shallow end of the pool. I have plenty of other concepts to put up if the group prefers. Perfect runners are boring.

Netzgeist

• Ace Runner
« Reply #44 on: <01-25-12/1033:28> »
I'm working on a gunslinger/face/B&E hitman... But I don't really understand why, Chummer seems to be a little funny and giving me trouble (it's calculating gear cost in a very wrong way and it's not accepting plugins on the gear section...). I'm trying to fix it, but so far I have been really out of luck.