NEWS

"...if you have build points to spare to take restricted gear."

• 16 Replies

JohnQ

• Newb
« on: <12-03-10/0708:16> »
Regarding a quote I've seen posted a few times throughout the forum as I read through. Is it possible at chargen to get restricted gear? I used a chargen program I'd found online to streamline my character creation. I was going to go through again and do it on p&p to make sure the numbers in the program were accurate to SR4a guidelines.

"...if you have build points to spare to take restricted gear."

So you can get restricted gear, which is R, but not the other type, F. Is that right? Is that what that is? Am I on the right track? For example at chargen it's not possible to get a Weapon Focus higher than Force 2 (I think, that's from memory as I do not have the book in front of me), or a Sustaining Focus hight than Force 3.
Speed is the essence of war. Take advantage of the enemy's unpreparedness; travel by unexpected routes and strike him where he has taken no precautions.

~The Art of War by Sun Tzu

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #1 on: <12-03-10/0713:28> »
R or F don't matter. Availability matters, anything over 12 you need the "Restricted Gear" quality, it's in the Runners Companion.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

JohnQ

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <12-03-10/0718:43> »
Okay I haven't looked at that one! Guess my Mage won't be able to hook up with some of that gear then... still good to know! Thanks for that clarification.
Speed is the essence of war. Take advantage of the enemy's unpreparedness; travel by unexpected routes and strike him where he has taken no precautions.

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-03-10/0815:09> »
The quality lets you get stuff up to availebility 20
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #4 on: <12-03-10/0913:16> »
Yeah, didn't want to get into too much detail ;)

Wow, dude, wtf happened to your karma?
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

JohnQ

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <12-03-10/1010:39> »
I appreciate the info! I don't think I have access to that book (not sure if someone I game with has it). I have the SR4a and Street Magic that I purchased. I was playing a Mage in the group so wanted to have the info on hand. And haven't played in, uh, a long time. 

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-03-10/1014:58> »
Wow, dude, wtf happened to your karma?
Some people apparently didn't like my tone or the words i used. ::)
"An it harm none, do what you will"

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #7 on: <12-03-10/1117:57> »
I wouldn't worry about it Mäx, you can't please everyone. ;)

I appreciate the info! I don't think I have access to that book (not sure if someone I game with has it). I have the SR4a and Street Magic that I purchased. I was playing a Mage in the group so wanted to have the info on hand. And haven't played in, uh, a long time. 
It's in Runner's Companion, p. 101.

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #8 on: <12-03-10/1351:05> »
Yo, don't take something like that to personal, or you end up like this ;):

Btw: Why tag-change to Reputation instead Karma? Karma, is cooler, IMHO. ;D

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <12-03-10/1401:07> »
We asked them to change it to Rep since then it's more like the Shadowtalk/Jackpoint's system of how trustworthy/likeable the person is. ;)

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #10 on: <12-03-10/1933:15> »
And Jack is apparently one shifty-eyed bastard.   :D

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <12-04-10/1026:14> »
Truly.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #12 on: <12-07-10/0849:18> »
And Jack is apparently one shifty-eyed bastard.   :D
Naww, My experience on forums tells me that Jack has just told people what they didn't want to hear. I have yet to see him earn -14 Rep! Unless ofcourse you take his humor into account  :-*
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #13 on: <12-07-10/0916:00> »
Thanks guys! ;D

(and don't think I didn't notice the kiss-ass icon Usda. Check's in the mail.)

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #14 on: <12-13-10/1021:21> »

Here I am hoping I'm not too late on this, but...

Restricted gear, the quality, has the purpose stated above.  Namely to allow you one signature item/enhancement/what-have-you that exceeds the typical availability limit of 12.  So. if your character's backstory involves some sort of super-soldier program, then you can express that in terms of qualities by giving that character the "Restricted Gear" quality (up to 3 times) and some high-end availability 20 cyberware, like r4 Muscle Toner, a Suprathyroid Gland, or Move-by-Wire 2.  It's basically a quick way to bypass a step of character growth and development.  Sam starts out with a prime-level piece of ware.  Rigger starts out with a tank-buster Heavy Autocannon.  Mage starts out with the kind of Focus that dragons go to war over.  It can be abused like anything else, and it can be loads of fun too.

The R and F next to gear designates whether that gear needs a license to avoid police trouble (one assumes in UCAS territory.  Laws are different from one block to the next with corporate extraterritoriality.) as is the case with Restricted gear, or whether you're going to draw special police attention on sight, as is the case with Forbidden gear.

So, Restricted gear is something which can be licensed like dynamite, a rifle, dangerous medications, certain tools and so forth.  Forbidden gear includes things like military-grade weaponry, spy tools, poisons and insane drugs.  Basically, restricted gear can be explained away with a tag on your SIN saying "he's a security contractor/bail bondsman/etc." whereas forbidden gear is going to take a lot of clever lies and supporting information to back up (or a fat bribe,) otherwise, it'll be bells and alarms for miles.

Both restricted and forbidden things can be purchased at character generation, provided that their availability rating is 12 or lower.  The "Restricted Gear" quality allows one item of avail up to 20, subject to GM approval.
« Last Edit: <12-13-10/1024:42> by Kontact »