Shadowrun General > General Discussion

Informations about prisons?

(1/4) > >>

Ixal:
Has there ever been a book in SR that took a deeper look in how prisons work?
Not just a few sentences that prisons suck but details about how to get in, get out and how they work internally (gangs, smuggling, how they deal with awakened and emergent characters. Possibly also how non-metahuman sapients or infected are handled in places where they are still considered people). Maybe also some different types of prisons like Matrix/VR prisons and things like that.

Reaver:

--- Quote from: Ixal on ---Has there ever been a book in SR that took a deeper look in how prisons work?
Not just a few sentences that prisons suck but details about how to get in, get out and how they work internally (gangs, smuggling, how they deal with awakened and emergent characters. Possibly also how non-metahuman sapients or infected are handled in places where they are still considered people). Maybe also some different types of prisons like Matrix/VR prisons and things like that.

--- End quote ---

Last book that had more then a paragraph here or there that I remember was the (2e?) Lone Star book. And even then it wasn't much more then a page or two.

MercilessMing:
The Shadowrun subreddit had a worldbuilding thread in the last couple months that dealt with prisons.  You can start looking there.

Throwing in my 2 nuyen, when it comes to managing Awakened prisoners, I really don't like the draconian nature and limited usefulness of things like mage masks and mage cuffs.  In my game there's a chemical solution to that problem that suppresses peoples' connection to magic.  A newly processed prisoner would receive injections every couple of hours, and over the course of a day their connection to magic would go away completely.  Then the prisoner could join the general population.  Much cheaper, humane, and feasible than canon methods.  The doses taper off to once a day, then once a week to maintain the suppression, and Magic returns at a rate of 1/day once the doses have elapsed.  This opens up RP opportunities to infiltrate and replace the drug with saline or do some social engineering on the medical techs.  If the poor sod is in the clink for years, they may suffer permanent damage to their Magic.  Old ex-cons may have lost their talent for good.

penllawen:
That’s not a million miles away from canon - a slow release dose of Blight (from No Future IIRC) would have approximately those effects.

BeCareful:
Blight's from Better than Bad, but yeah, that sounds like a better way to do it, and more meta-humane than just giving someone a dozen omega-grade datajacks and making the prisoner pay them off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version