NEWS

[5e OOC] And The Rain Keeps Falling

• 575 Replies

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #30 on: <06-30-16/1157:12> »
@Nimbasa, a couple other notes: 1. With a Smartlink your Viper Gun's Accuracy is increased to 6.  With a dice pool of 10 you're not going to hit that number very often, so I'd drop Enhanced Accuracy (Pistols) and buy 1 rank in Attribute Boost (AGI).  You're only looking at 1 drain, which should be easy to hit, and at the cost of a Simple Action you're going to average 2 additional dice for all attack tests (and Full Defense if you go the Agile Defender route). 

Is Critical Strike for Blades or Unarmed?  If Blades your katana will actually do 8P -3AP damage.  If Unarmed, you're looking at 5S damage. 

I count your Unarmed pool at 7 (9) not 8 (10), but I could be missing something. 

And for what it's worth unless you're spamming a really high attack Attribute: AGI (6) + Improved Physical Attribute (2) = 8 as a base, you may be better off focusing on 1 close combat skill.  For skills strapped chars, 1 ranged and 1 close combat skill is usually all that can be mustered effectively.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <06-30-16/1622:35> »
On a GM note, I really like the way you guys have started out IC, feels like a team that has worked together previously and are meeting up once again. The four that are in the bar already may just start us off with Mr Johnson and have the others join as they complete as outside help that have not necessarily worked with the team before. That being said, I'll give another day or two to get any last additions finalized, and I'll advance the plot with that core team. Anyone that has posted before then IC will be considered the core team, any others will be late additions.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <06-30-16/1814:50> »
I would also strongly reconsider the Haymaker technique unless it's mostly for RP reasons; you get +1DV if you hit but the opponent always gets +2 to defense. For a Yakuza assassin Aikido is quite thematic and has some great technique choices (Counterstrike for example), and Kenjutsu is extremely thematic for a swordsman; the latter would allow you to pick the Iaijutsu technique which accomplishes the same thing as the Rapid Draw adept power, freeing up a power choice to something that cannot otherwise be taken (Traceless Walk is pretty thematic for an assassin, for example).

Oh, and Skill groups cannot be broken up which also means Specializations cannot be taken for individual skills in a group during step 5. From page 88:
"In addition, skill groups cannot be broken up in this step, so individual skill points cannot raise the ratings of skills purchased as a group. (Note that skill groups can be broken up in Step Seven: Spend Your Left Over Karma (p. 98)."

Fortunately, this should help take care of your skill point deficiency; if you pick Athletics at Rating 2 and drop the Parkour specialization, you're closer to tidying up the skills as per the recommendations from CraterShip and rednblack.

Oh, and that sounds like a great way to do things, CraterShip. My only concern is that we don't have a decker at the moment, so hopefully Raiderjoseph shows up.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <06-30-16/1852:37> »
Some of Nimbasa's skill points might be from spending karma, or Magic B. I'm not doing a full tally since it seems like there might be some typos, like Blades at 0 instead of 5.

Some other thoughts for Nimbasa, although hopefully it doesn't sound like we're piling on:

- You have good Logic, but no Logic-based skills. You might want to move a point from Logic into Agility, and perhaps a second point from Logic into Strength if you're going for melee.
- You have good Charisma, but only one Charisma-based skill. A point in Etiquette is traditional, but I'll leave it up to CraterShip to decide how important that should be.
- Do you always wear Auctioneer Business Clothes while you are being a sneaky assassin? If so, that's pretty sweet, but if not then you might want some other armor like an Armor Jacket or a Chameleon Suit.
- The Hyundai Shin-Hyung is a fun car, but it's expensive and costs over half of your Resources D nuyen. If you get a crotch rocket instead (for example, a Suzuki Mirage), you'll save yourself ¥20,000.
- You also have a second month of Low lifestyle. You probably only need one month, which would save you another ¥2,000.
- You know what you can get with the ¥22,000 that you saved? A TOTALLY SWEET RATING 3 KATANA WEAPON FOCUS!(!)! AHHH! SO BADASS!!
- Seriously though, get the weapon focus. It will cost 9 karma to bind it, but it's an extra 3 dice for all your katana attacks, plus 3 dice if you're rolling to Parry. Plus, choppity chop spirits. It's half the reason to be a melee adept.

Rules question I never thought of before: if you have an Ares Slivergun, do you buy regular ammunition or flechette ammunition? Flechette rounds cost 3x as much as regular rounds, so the difference could add up. On that note, Nimbasa probably doesn't need Hollow Point rounds, since I don't think the Slivergun can even fire them.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <06-30-16/1924:52> »
Also awesome: mentor spirits. They are an excellent value and offer great RP opportunities.

Good options for a melee adept include Doom, Dragonslayer, Wise Warrior, and Wolf, but go in whatever direction the character takes you.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <06-30-16/2001:24> »
Just because this bugs me; it's Actioneer, not Auctioneer :D

But yeah, Tecumseh has a great point about the weapon focus; if you're going to be a blade wielding assassin, a weapon focus is a great investment. A Rating 2 would even suffice if you need the money for a chameleon suit too, for example.

And on the ammo for the Slivergun, I've always treated it as a weapon that fires normal ammunition because of the "counts as" description:
"It fires metal slivers that count as flechette ammunition, which is factored into the weapon’s damage code."
To my mind at least, you buy normal ammo at the 2¥ per round cost instead of flechette rounds.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <07-01-16/0212:17> »
My IC post is a small indulgence: an inside joke. Originally I had written more but I accidentally X'd out of my post and lost it.

OOCly, I need to catch up on some rolling.

Step 1: Cast Increase Intuition @ F4, locking it into my sustaining health focus.
Casting: Magic 6 + Spellcasting 6: 12d6t5 5 hits, limit is 4 due to Force
Ichante's Intuition is now 4 (8). I need to soak 2 boxes of drain. I don't know if I should include the recently added Intuition dice to my drain pool, but I'm going to leave them off in case the drain occurs simultaneously with the casting.
Soaking 2S drain: Willpower 7 + Intuition 4: 11d6t5 3 hits, drain soaked

Step 2: Summon my very first Guardian spirit @ F6 to help keep watch.
Summoning: Magic 6 + Summoning 6 + Spec 2: 14d6t5 5 hits
Spirit resisting: Resist summoming: 6d6t5 1 hit, rolled three 1s and two 2s, so very nearly a glitch
Soaking 2S drain: Willpower 7 + Intuition 8: 15d6t5 4 hits, drain soaked

That's a good summoning to start things off! I now have an F6 spirit with 4 services. Optional powers... oo, what should I pick? All so fun. Let's go with Elemental Attack [Electricity] in honor of the weather, plus Concealment. The spirit will take the form of a shirtless Sioux warrior with rippling pectoral muscles and lightening in his eyes for Ichante to appreciate in her spare moments. Her instructions will be for him to chill out on the astral and wait for her call.

Step 3: Assense the club, keeping a third eye open for vampires and anything else suspicious.
Assensing: Intuition 8 + Assensing 6 + Aura Reading 2: 16d6t5 5 hits

So far, so good.
« Last Edit: <07-01-16/0248:43> by Tecumseh »

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <07-01-16/0638:01> »
Oh, I meant to ask about that; since when is Zeke slang for vampires? The only time I've heard Zeke used as slang it's been about zombies.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #38 on: <07-01-16/0724:57> »
Oh, I meant to ask about that; since when is Zeke slang for vampires? The only time I've heard Zeke used as slang it's been about zombies.

It's not by canon.  I'm GMing a vampire hunter game that Tec is playing in.  Historically, Vlad the Impaler was a Wallachian (Romanian), but in Bram Stoker's book Dracula he is named a Szekely (Hungarian).  Since pop culture usually trumps historical accuracy, I went with Szekely as my main slang for vampire, and that's further shortened to Zeke, since no one can pronounce Szekely (Say-Kay is about as close as most people can get).
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <07-02-16/0220:58> »
Tecumsah: I would argue that the spell drain is resisted by your original stat, not the increased intuition, just as you mentioned, looks good, your assensing shows you a couple of more level magic users, no vampires or crazy out of the ordinary people though. The general feel of the crowd definitely shows though, lots of fun, bliss, some negative intentions, but none directed at you. Overall, just the standard party fare.

Everyone: I will be traveling tomorrow with my vacation, so I'll be in and out as best I can. I would like to get the meet with Mr. Johnson started within the next day or two to give you an idea of timeline. Of course this hinges on my having data access at the beach. So we'll see. If not, please be patient and I'll get it going as soon as I can.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <07-02-16/1035:47> »
On the drain resist of an Increase Attribute spell; for what it's worth, I would argue that the effect takes place before drain. As per pages 281 and 282, step 4 is casting the spell, step 5 is determining the effect, and step 6 is resist drain, with the last step 7 being determining ongoing effects.

My reasoning is the following phrase in step 5, determine effect (emphasis mine):
"Note that this is Step 5, and Drain is Step 6—the effect of the spell happens even if Drain takes you out."

This seems to indicate that the effect takes place before you even test for drain in step 6, and only when you get to step 7 do ongoing effects such as the -2 negative dice pool modifier for sustaining the spell begin.

And thanks for explaining about Zeke guys :)

Oh, and Crater; enjoy the beach, don't worry about the game too much. We might still need a replacement decker though, seeing as Raiderjoseph has been absent for a while.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <07-02-16/1344:51> »
From a crunch perspective I agree with Herr, but from a fluff perspective I agree with CraterShip. It's a turn-based game so things are broken down into steps for easier comprehension and execution, but it seems that the reality (if 'reality' can be applied to a fictional game world) is that the effects of the spell - both the spell effects on the target and the drain effects on the caster - are simultaneous. I'm comfortable using CraterShip's approach, even if it's not a strict reading of the rules.

The other aspect of the zeke joke is that our introductory scene is almost identical to the introductory scene of rednblack's game: dark and stormy night in a club in Touristville in Redmond.

If I were CraterShip, I would be on the beach, not posting, so I'm fine if things don't advance until Tuesday. I'll try to get an IC post up sometime before then.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <07-02-16/1655:03> »
I'm pretty good on lore - I'm familiar with McAllister, Fear The Dark, and de Vries - but I don't know what the reference is to an interview where de Vries shows his true colors. Is that common knowledge in the Shadowrun world? If so, what's the short version (and is there a book reference)?

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <07-02-16/1757:24> »
I have been looking at that problem, if we don't hear from him, I can rework the scenario so a Decker is not needed. Either way, not a big problem. Also, working on the next post now, the beach house has wifi, so I can jump on during downtime. Will be here a few days before flying back home.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <07-02-16/1919:46> »
Tec
de Vries revealed his true nature as a vampire when he was attacked during a book signing/reading/interview. Thus, the whole world was suddenly and violently exposed to the truth of vampires amongst them. Didn't help that de Vries was a self-declared vampire hunter, of course.