NEWS

CASTS or Stirrup Interface?

• 23 Replies

Desiani

• Chummer
« on: <03-11-17/1942:13> »
Which of these two would you use? And is a rigger specializing in Cybered animals a good idea? :p

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <03-11-17/2014:26> »
As a PC?  Neither, because neither is cost effective.  You can't even begin the game with the CAST implanted in something, even with Restricted Gear.

In a more general sense, CAST seems the better choice.  It's more humane (for those who care), and allows for more choice in augmentation (for those who don't).  Even assuming you don't mind the cost (Essence and nuyen) for Stirrup interface, there's a lot of biodrones who won't need it.  Spying (one of the best uses for biodrones) isn't something you really need a huge amount of initiative for, and if you're jumped in, the skillwires part of it isn't necessary.

Flavor-wise, the Stirrup implant might give the rigger a more direct feel of what it's like to be the animal too, which is something some characters would look for.  Being a drone is pretty badass, but being able to be a wolf or a tiger is pretty damn cool too.  Who needs the Shapechange spell?

However, specializing in biodrones is a poor choice.  Even the book spells out that they aren't very effective outside of their very small niche, require more upkeep than drones, and elicit a very poor reaction in a lot of people.  The last two might not actually come up in your game (as they actually cost less than drones, since they heal naturally, and you might not care what people think) but the first will come up a lot.  Mounting a weapon on a biodrone is a lot harder to do; flying biodrones are more fragile than normal drones and basically can't house weaponry.  And it's a hell of a lot more expensive to buy augmentations for a biodrone than to buy mods for a normal drone.
« Last Edit: <03-11-17/2019:48> by firebug »
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-11-17/2316:19> »
Flavor-wise, the Stirrup implant might give the rigger a more direct feel of what it's like to be the animal too, which is something some characters would look for.  Being a drone is pretty badass, but being able to be a wolf or a tiger is pretty damn cool too.  Who needs the Shapechange spell?
Who says you're installing it in an animal?

In a world with bunraku, you know there are alternate uses for that technology.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-12-17/0019:04> »
You'd need specialized Stirrup Interface to make it work for a human.  Specially made to fit the human body, and special software for humans...  Not saying it's impossible, but...  It'd draw some serious attention.

(me taking a joke too seriously)
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #4 on: <03-12-17/0949:50> »
Proteus has been using that for the public face of their board for YEARS.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <03-12-17/1454:30> »
Essentially, the background of the rigger was that he grew up in an environment where Tech was illegal, sort of like a hippie California cult. His life revolved around animals to an extreme extent.

Once he left the enclave he found new and wondrous things. He still had his super ingrained love for animals and distrusted 'drones' but wanted to get into rigging for the experience. It was, to him, similar to herd animals... just drones instead.

I just like the idea of buying a giant tiger and soupping it up with stuff. Maybe a turtle too.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-12-17/1515:41> »
That doesn't follow at all though.  Animals don't handle augmentation well, mentally.  It's more or less abuse (as the animal cannot really have a say in whether or not they undergo this extensive surgery).  Someone who actually loved animals, especially someone who was raised in that sort of environment, would feel extremely guilty as they saw the animal become more and more robotic, physically and mentally (best case scenario), or just go berserk and need to be put down.  I suggest you read Howling Shadows more thoroughly for a character concept.

Not to imply you shouldn't do that idea, just saying the backstory doesn't quite match.

Desiani

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <03-12-17/1659:43> »
That doesn't follow at all though.  Animals don't handle augmentation well, mentally.  It's more or less abuse (as the animal cannot really have a say in whether or not they undergo this extensive surgery).  Someone who actually loved animals, especially someone who was raised in that sort of environment, would feel extremely guilty as they saw the animal become more and more robotic, physically and mentally (best case scenario), or just go berserk and need to be put down.  I suggest you read Howling Shadows more thoroughly for a character concept.

Not to imply you shouldn't do that idea, just saying the backstory doesn't quite match.

Yea I just reread it and I was like wtf lol. So does CASTS let you 'jump in' the animal? From the description I know you can AR control it. The system makes an attack order make the animal thinks it is prey, etc.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <03-12-17/1747:53> »
I believe it does let you jump into it; it mentions it works like a "rigger interface".  Plus I believe the Orientation Goad fills the role for "only AR control".

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #9 on: <03-12-17/2202:44> »
CASTS doesn't allow you to jump in. That would be the stirrup interface. CASTS is a different control system that basically allows you to remote control a living creature (though acting against the creature's instincts may cause problems).
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Adamo1618

« Reply #10 on: <03-13-17/0615:43> »
Is there a  CASTS implant for metahumans? Disturbing but useful.

MDMann

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <03-13-17/1005:07> »
Coming to a bunraku parlour near you.

Where the joy boys (and girls) not only have skillsofts to make them ninja warriors on your run but jumped in riggers and controlled animal's (you don't want to ask what they're doing there) can also join the party.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <03-13-17/1026:14> »
and controlled animal's (you don't want to ask what they're doing there)
Bunraku parlor catering to shapeshifters?
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <03-13-17/1449:43> »
CASTS doesn't allow you to jump in. That would be the stirrup interface. CASTS is a different control system that basically allows you to remote control a living creature (though acting against the creature's instincts may cause problems).

Computer-assisted  sensory  translation  (CAST)  is  the equivalent of a rigger interface for biodrones. It allows the rigger to jump in to a biodrone and not only control them through AR commands but experience the animal’s senses through a wireless connection.

You are incorrect.

Is there a  CASTS implant for metahumans? Disturbing but useful.

Technically it could all be installed (it's mostly just simsense and a simrig) but it wouldn't really work cleanly.  Humans are able to resist their instincts significantly more than animals, and while at first someone may not question why they're smelling something or what not that isn't there, eventually they could catch on, and have the option of turning off their wireless stuff or some other defense.  Basically, any of the subtle manipulations you could do to screw with someone could theoretically be done by just hacking someone's simsense and social manipulation.  No control strong enough for anything tactical though.

That said, someone scared out of their mind, pure fight-or-flight, never-been-in-a-gunfight-before might be susceptible to stuff like "that area over there feels warm and smells nice and isn't where the sound is coming from".  It'd be a purely narrative thing though...  Not something that happens at most tables.

A human-made Orientation Goad though?  That could direct someone in an awful, disorienting way that would probably crumple their ability to understand what's going on.  "Oh shit I'm falling to the right somehow-- Now that way, jesus--  Oh thank god it sto--  Now gravity is pulling me forwards!"  They'd probably vomit.
« Last Edit: <03-13-17/1508:13> by firebug »

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <03-18-17/0056:42> »
You're best bet for a human would be to get a hold of someone that's a Blank Slate.
Of course,you'd probably need to be amoral to do it.