NEWS

Help With New Laser Weapons - Snipers?

• 15 Replies

Tech

• Newb
« on: <07-20-17/1959:44> »
Is anyone here up to the task of making some stats? I'm working on a campaign for a group - (This is my first campaign) - and it involves some pretty wonky trips. I'd hoped that, some how, one of the plot twists would involve a shiny new piece of Ares technology. This may or may not be a laser sniper rifle - later used by the traitorous Mr. Johnson to assassinate a big political figure. However, if I am to use this concept for the game then I need a MOC-up for the laser rifles' stats. I was hoping that maybe a few of you chummers could help me out. This thing is supposed to be way over powered, and extremely deadly. The kind of thing that can one-shot an old time tank runner.
« Last Edit: <07-20-17/2247:41> by Tech »
"This Mr. Johnson wants you to pick his daughter up from preschool and is willing to pay you 8,000 nuyen a pop to do it. What do you do, Stas?"
"I shoot him with my krime gun"

&#24525;

« Reply #1 on: <07-20-17/2241:38> »
Is this something you plan on putting into the hands of the PCs? If not just hand-wave the pewpews as one shot kills.

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #2 on: <07-20-17/2326:21> »
Lasers suck at sniping because their damage value drops off with distance and environmental modifiers (like smoke).

Anyway, sounds like a plot level MacGuffin. Go with Tech's suggestion, it just one shots everyone and is magical, and breaks the normal rules of the game. It's a plot device, not a real weapon. Can't be mass produced for reasons and battery is limited to maybe a single shot per pack, and packs are impossible for PCs to make or recharge. Or not, whatever, it could spawn a whole lot of runs where Mr. Johnson tries to get the experimental death ray back.

The Dyslexic Won

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <07-21-17/0907:39> »
other options are a lower powered non-visible laser.  maybe a x-ray laser?

Tech

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <07-21-17/1437:31> »
So if the laser sniper rifle isn't a good idea - what would be? Do you think just some else way over powered would work instead?
"This Mr. Johnson wants you to pick his daughter up from preschool and is willing to pay you 8,000 nuyen a pop to do it. What do you do, Stas?"

Tech

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <07-21-17/1440:47> »
And actually, DeathStrobe, it was 忍's idea to make it a one shot thing. I made the post in the first place. Though I appreciate the credit :P

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-21-17/1446:24> »
Special Ammo from a regular big ole sniper rifle.  Smart, Silent, Armor Piercing, Explosive, and untraceable as the bullet fragments all somehow disappear after being fired.  Some kind of chemical (or alchemical) round that starts out solid, has amazing flight characteristics, an exothermic (i.e. explosive) reaction when it comes into contact with water (i.e. people), and leaves no traces after the reaction (i.e. the explosion).

Very expensive to manufacture, 100,000 Nuyen a round or some such.  Should do the trick.

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <07-21-17/1724:22> »
You want a laser sniper rifle?
To channel that much power, it needs to be large and heavy.
For a power supply, at least a truck battery for a single shot.
Regular glitch fries some of the circuits, requiring repairs.
A critical glitch makes it blow up in your hands.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #8 on: <07-24-17/1523:20> »
Actually, I would go with a microwave gun. Needs to be aimed for maximum time to fire, must hold on target after firing for a complete combat turn, and will do 18P base damage at the end of that turn, using laser ranges, no recoil, and needs to be hooked up to (at minimum) two truck batteries to fire once. Basic effect is boil the target's insides. Got enough capability to take down most targets, with enough drawbacks so that it's very hard to use.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #9 on: <08-03-17/0227:26> »
Honestly, don't bother with 'must hook up to X batteries from a Y'.  Do that, and you give the PCs the OK to figure out how they can use it.  If you have a way to limit the ammunition of ANY 'Grade A Bang Bang', you have a way of limiting its use by the PCs, should they manage to make off with the thing.  In addition, such a piece (they DID heist it, and it IS experimental, right??) is going to have issues.  Some of those issues may potentially be lethal to the wielder, and/or be irreparable outside a cutting-edge-tech corporate lab.  So anything even approaching a glitch is going to kill the darn thing.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <10-06-17/1404:11> »
There's still another option to avoid it falling into PC hands.  Safety self destruct.  Once the players think they've gotten clean away with such a rare and powerful laser sniper rifle, the gun smokes as the entire internal system melts into a solid chunk of worthless slag and plastics that cannot be repaired or reverse-engineered.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #11 on: <10-07-17/0245:41> »
Don't forget the joy that is tracking chips! Especially if said chips are wired into the gun in such a way that burning them out (like with a tag eraser) bricks the gun.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <10-07-17/1423:48> »
I was actually thinking about this.
How about this:
Acc 8
DV 14P
AP -11
MODE SA
Acts like an upgraded Ares Archon.
Uses 6 units of energy per shot.
After a single shot, it needs to be repaired before fired again.
Damage is the # of 1's rolled. (it's experimental, what did you expect?)
Glitch ruins the beam focuser, requiring another one be procured. (good luck)
Critical glitch makes it blow up, dealing 18P in a 1M radius. (time to make a new PC)

&#24525;

« Reply #13 on: <10-07-17/1616:45> »
An irregular explosion. Why not have it function similar to grenades.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #14 on: <10-07-17/1748:50> »
If it's a very brief, intense flare of heat as the lasing flare is consuming itself, that would work.  Ideally, it wouldn't be an 'explode', but an '18P (Heat) damage to the user'.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.