NEWS

[SR 5] Implanted Micro-transceiver

• 53 Replies

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #45 on: <06-02-16/2213:38> »
Because the connections to the optical nerve are probably more complex and/or built further into the head/brain, for more advanced cybereyes. 

For lacing, I assume the higher grades actually do more reinforcing and strengthening on top of using better materials.  On top of that, if I remember right there's plastics out there that are more bio-compatible than metal that could be used as well. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #46 on: <06-02-16/2302:13> »
so plastic Bone lacing is less invasive than Titanium Bonelacing ?

with a less invasive Dance
Medicineman

Never worked with titanium I take it :P

Best way to get new tools? Use your tools that are meant for metal on titanium...... you'll wreck your old tools FAST!!! (trust me, I made this $1600 mistake!)

Titanium is strong.... like SUPERMAN strong! And because of it's strength, ductility, and retentivity, it is used anywhere extreme stresses are found. However, BECAUSE of it's strength, ductility and retentivity, you need special tools to deal with it.... and my Industrial grade tools are NOT special enough (and they are designed to play in iron and steel for YEARS without wear).

So yes, getting titanium to bond to bones would be much more invasive then plastic (which I play with as well, and yes there are really strong plastics)

But on the whole, and a mechanical expression of ware, the general statement of " the higher the essence cost, the more valuable the ware" wouldn't be out of place. Just not the in game rationale as to why they cost more "humanity/soul/essence/spirit/ID/ego/fluffybunnies"
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #47 on: <06-03-16/0137:59> »
But on the other side: We already use Titanium for implants like an artificial hip, because it doesn't cause immune responses - Aluminum on the other hand would be rejected in no time.
Arguing from a material science point of view will do you no good in SR
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

&#24525;

« Reply #48 on: <06-03-16/1856:23> »
[quote author CRB 23pg]The more artificial you make yourself, the farther you get from actual life.[/quote]

Image a conversation between four people:
John has an essence of 6.
Betty has an essence of 5.
Alex has an essence of 3.
and Ultra-mega Deathlazer has an essence of .5.

John and Betty get along quite nicely, however some of the remarks from Alex show just how somewhat Alex is detached and distanced from society.

On the other hand, every other sound from Ultra-mega Deathlazer sparks the idea of retiring it merely for self-preservation.

IE Less metahuman, more beep-boop.

(Yes yes, bioware doesn't make a cyberzombie. w/e)

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #49 on: <06-03-16/1959:41> »
Who says Bioware doesn't make a cyberzombie?  Despite the terminology, the process works on anyone who goes below 0 Essence due to 'ware. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

&#24525;

« Reply #50 on: <06-04-16/1440:54> »
I'm playing off the visual aspect of it. I imagine someone with more tech than skin. Bioware wouldn't relay the imagery of a cyberzombie. The term cyberzombie used to refer to someone with hella low essence could occur due to bio. I think this is just a situation of de re vs. de dicto.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #51 on: <06-04-16/2159:21> »
Bioware wouldn't relay the imagery of a cyberzombie
An image search for 'resident evil boss' comes up with numerous examples of what it might look like to focus more on effective bioware than socially acceptable implants. You could call that a biozombie, but cyberzombie seems to be common parlance for the sixth world.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #52 on: <06-05-16/0502:46> »
More of a holdover term really. Cyberzombers first appeared in thr late 2050's (RIP Hatchman. You are still missed!), and back then the Bioware was, well.... crap. Crap and limited..... So most of your buck for bang came from cyber.

Tech changes, terms and slogans don't.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Adamo1618

« Reply #53 on: <06-06-16/0505:19> »
Why would higher tool requirements increase invasiveness? Titanium foam is very compatible with human bones.