NEWS

[SR 5] Implanted Micro-transceiver

• 53 Replies

BrysenBlue

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <05-25-16/1941:18> »
Can you show me that in the rules man? (Direct me to their location?)

I'm not trying to be difficult, but considering something as simple as a toaster has a matrix icon, I can't help but feel the Micro Transceiver would as well. Also, it would mean that the Technomancer's ability to interface with technology via touch (from submerging or whatever its called) would be completely pointless. Also, doesn't a matrix search show you all active icons and inactive icons?

If you can see in active icons then they have to be transmitting something, right?

Even if something is running silent and behind a firewall you are still only at -2 to pick it up on a Matrix Search.  I think what you need is a Wrapper Program, to conceal the nature of the device.

I think the real benefit to the Micro Transceiver is that its cheap, easy to hide, and doesn't contain all your personal data or anything that can obscure your vision if someone tries to spam-bomb you.
« Last Edit: <05-25-16/1946:22> by BrysenBlue »

Coyote

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <05-25-16/2001:10> »
"TURNING IT OFF
Toggling an individual device’s wireless functionality
off is a Free Action, as is toggling all of your wireless
devices to “wireless off.” You lose wireless bonuses,
but the items can no longer be wirelessly hacked"

BRB, p421

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <05-26-16/1132:39> »
Can you show me that in the rules man? (Direct me to their location?)

I'm not trying to be difficult, but considering something as simple as a toaster has a matrix icon, I can't help but feel the Micro Transceiver would as well. Also, it would mean that the Technomancer's ability to interface with technology via touch (from submerging or whatever its called) would be completely pointless. Also, doesn't a matrix search show you all active icons and inactive icons?

If you can see in active icons then they have to be transmitting something, right?

Even if something is running silent and behind a firewall you are still only at -2 to pick it up on a Matrix Search.  I think what you need is a Wrapper Program, to conceal the nature of the device.

I think the real benefit to the Micro Transceiver is that its cheap, easy to hide, and doesn't contain all your personal data or anything that can obscure your vision if someone tries to spam-bomb you.

Icons only exist for Matrix Active Devices...
I think Coyote has provided the appropriate reference, but I will look when I get home.

Per Terminology, The Wireless World, BBB Page 216
icon: The virtual representation of a device, persona, file, or host in the Matrix.

So, as can be seen, if wireless is disabled (or device is a throwback), it is not in the matrix, and would therefore not have an ICON.  8)
« Last Edit: <05-26-16/1204:40> by Tym Jalynsfein »
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

BrysenBlue

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <05-26-16/2124:48> »
I am honestly not trying to be difficult, but I don't know these abbreviations. What books are you referring to?

Coyote

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <05-26-16/2132:31> »
I am honestly not trying to be difficult, but I don't know these abbreviations. What books are you referring to?

Are you referring to BRB? That's Basic Rule Book... I think SR players often use CRB (Core Rules Book) instead/also.

BrysenBlue

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <05-26-16/2313:08> »
Ah yup, I didnt recognize BBB or BRB. I think of SR5 for the basic rule book because that is what they use in the actual books for it. lol

Danka.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <05-27-16/0017:43> »
Yep thats why REAL riggers dont use the matrix to run drones but RCCs from 3rd edition so they cant be hacked by hackers

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <05-27-16/0125:07> »
Ah yup, I didnt recognize BBB or BRB. I think of SR5 for the basic rule book because that is what they use in the actual books for it. lol

Danka.

BBB is really Oldschool
it means Big Basic Book
(its from as far back as 2nd Edition IIRC and in 2nd Ed it meant Big Black Book because the CRB had a Black Frame)
and BRB ( Basic Rules Book)is the same as CRB (Core Rules Book)

with an Abbrev.Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #23 on: <05-27-16/1425:55> »
Apologies... Yes, BBB = CRB. 8)
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <05-27-16/1938:24> »
You have to talk to your GM / your Gruop and Houserule Essenceloss,Avail and ¥
I'd suggest something like 0.1 Ess , Avail 4E and 1250 ¥

HougH!
Medicineman
What about implanting it without DNI for no essence cost and reduced nuyen cost? As in, just under the skin, activated by pressing in the right spot?

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <05-28-16/0226:29> »
???
If you want to ?
But you can't reduce Essence anymore ImO 0.1 is the Minimum
and you don't need DNI
 You allready have direct NI (as with any peace of 'ware)....
Remember ;  DNI is NOT direct NI ;)

HougH!
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <05-28-16/0259:40> »
In the English books, the hair is split between neural interface and direct neural interface ...

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <05-28-16/0829:02> »
???
If you want to ?
and you don't need DNI

HougH!
Medicineman
Not what I meant. What I had in mind was an microtransreciever that ISN'T connected with your neural system at all. Just sewn in under the skin.

Coyote

• Chummer
« Reply #28 on: <05-28-16/0834:48> »
???
If you want to ?
and you don't need DNI

HougH!
Medicineman
Not what I meant. What I had in mind was an microtransreciever that ISN'T connected with your neural system at all. Just sewn in under the skin.

I think that even the bioware item of skin pocket costs essence, so this should also cost some.

&#24525;

« Reply #29 on: <05-28-16/2109:10> »
A Micro Transceiver can totally operate without being on the Matrix (and thus generating an Icon). It really is just a walkie talkie that can have the Wifi turned on (much like our smartphones) to access the interwebs. Radios function on different frequencies than Wifi. I don't imagine this would change much even in 50+ years. So in overview you've got two options:
1. Wireless off. You can communicate with others within 1km. (The lower frequency radiowaves can only travel so far)
2. Wireless on. You can communicate with others anywhere. (Accessing the Wifi radiowaves allows transmissions to propagate through switches, routers, satellites, etc)

Option 1 works where ever regardless of the Matrix. Spam zones, Z zones, and anything in between. It merely operates on a "lower" frequency spectrum than the Matrix.
Option 2 goes through the tubes which means it can be bricked, snooped, spotted, etc.

I kinda like the idea of using a skin pocket for a MT. I imagine it to kinda be like a voice box that some smokers need.