NEWS

[SR5] Ares Light Fire 75 - totally useless?

• 48 Replies

Dakka

• Omae
« on: <01-30-14/1416:39> »
An Ares Light Fire 75 sports an internal smartlink and the special Light Fire silencer as part of it's 1,250 cost.  The Light Fire 70 is cheap as hell tho, and in the description you can buy the silencer for it for 750.  It also has 1 more accuracy than the 75.  All this means for 200 (gun) + 200 (internal smartgun) + 750 (silencer) = 1,150 nuyen you can have a Light Fire 70 that is A) not Forbidden availability 2) Costs 100 less than the 75 and C) has 1 more accuracy than the 75.  So why does Ares make a handgun for it's security personnel and other military contracts that is inferior to the commercial model?

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #1 on: <01-30-14/1418:10> »
I didn't get that either, although I always assumed the F legality rating for the 75 was due to the silencer.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-30-14/1420:48> »
It's possible, considering a normal silencer is Forbidden, but even still, Light Fire 75 seems to be made of fail.

samoth

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <01-30-14/1436:14> »
The Light Fire 70 with it's silencer attachment is still only Restricted.  Also, for whatever reason the 75 is less accurate and more expensive than the 70.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-30-14/1439:42> »
So even though all other silencers are illegal due to what they do, the Ares brand silencer is not? I don't think that makes a lot of sense, but whatever works in your game.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

samoth

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <01-30-14/1445:56> »
It's not explicitly stated, so by the RAW it doesn't change the legality.  If you want to rule that it does it's your call.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #6 on: <01-30-14/1456:50> »
So even though all other silencers are illegal due to what they do, the Ares brand silencer is not? I don't think that makes a lot of sense, but whatever works in your game.

That happens a lot, actually.  I think it's intended.  For instance, the GM-Nissan Doberman has a weapon mount and is Restricted despite weapon mounts being completely illegal, and it's been that way in the previous editions.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

samoth

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <01-30-14/1459:40> »
The Ingram X also has an integral suppressor and is Restricted.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-30-14/1503:31> »
As does the HK, but those are also less-concealable weapons. From looking through 5e, I can't find any pistols that have silencers that are not F, which makes sense as they are generally easy to hide.

WRT to the Doberman, it's a standard accessory like the above weapons having supressors. Or cyberdecks coming with hot-sim modules as standard components (the description even laughably says illegal hot-sim mods when the rating is R) while the hot-sim module on a commlink is illegal.

It depends on the application. In my opinion (and how I would rule) silencers for pistols are illegal in all applications.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #9 on: <01-30-14/1506:54> »
It's possible (and just not written) that the silencer on the 75 is integral, whereas the silencer for the 70 is not.  That would change concealability and portability quite a bit.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-30-14/1511:15> »
The silencer on the 75 is integral. I don't think the 70 is given that it is available at an additional cost.
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <01-30-14/1602:32> »
integral as in can also accept a barrel mount accessory?  Being able to put a silencer and a gas vent 3 on the same light pistol would be worth 100 extra nuyen.  The description of the Light Fire 75 mentions the silencer is barrel mounted tho.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-30-14/1609:45> »
Read to the end of the description, it's then explicitly mentioned as integral. I'm going with that...
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #13 on: <01-30-14/1630:41> »
As in previous editions, integral upgrades are built into the hardware of the gun.  An integral smartlink is built into the guts of the gun, whereas an integral silencer is built into the barrel.  This would mean that other accessories can be built into the gun as well.  Gun capacity is something handled in the Arsenal book in 4th edition, and it will probably be handled in Run & Gun for 5th edition.

To answer your immediate question though, yes you can add Recoil Compensation to a gun with an integral silencer.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <01-31-14/1610:24> »
Read to the end of the description, it's then explicitly mentioned as integral. I'm going with that...
As in previous editions, integral upgrades are built into the hardware of the gun.
Just to put a reference to this;
Quote from: P417, Mounts
Integral accessories (those that come with the weapon) don’t take up mount locations.