Shadowrun Play > GM's Toolbox

[Ressource] 3 examples how building security could look in 6th edition

<< < (2/3) > >>

Quicksilver:
For me just one entrance in basic building isn't cool. Windows, backdoors, personnel entrance, basement - these things make infiltration more complex and interesting.

CigarSmoker:
Thats just playstyle then but obviously its easier to defend fewer entrances ?

Why should anybody open a building up thats supposed to be secure ? Multiple fire exits can be circumvented today and you only need the 1 Main entrance then ... look around in buildings of today.

Obviously there are thing in Roleplaying Games that are just there (like a Lich Lord waiting 1000 years in his crypt for a Group of Heroes to arrive ...) and i would not change any building in official Runs.

Things like Basement i didnt cover but you should be able to dig in there as well in the end Players have to come with their own ideas, and i didnt map out the area. Roof could have some weak spots too.

Quicksilver:
Well, I'm sure, that nowadays pretty every shop/cafe has a personnel entrance. In big office buildings you can find some fire exits and so on. And I'm don't think that 50 years later this will change

CigarSmoker:
It has already changed you might have noticed that i work in that area. But yeah personal entrances, Fire Exits and so on are definitly possible to exist. But again why install them when no one forces you to ?
---
In case you wonder how a building can skip the Fire exists, you can for example keep a positive Pressure in the stairwell thus pushing smoke out. (simplified) English is not my native Language so i dont have all the right nomenclature.
Since Shadowrun is an old Game its obvious there is a shift between real and SR.

A Runner Team wouldnt even get in a Mall in Israel of today when they just try by finding some open window.

---
to add a few things regarding exits/entrances:(remember Shadowrun is dystopic future)

Buildings like schools, kindergarden, hospital would be hard to get in but easy to get out, many Fire Exits to allow the Person to leave the Building fast

Normal buildings should be balanced between coming in and out a very old office building thats 100 years old (so its from 1980) would probably have no security at all, just some dude checking every hour at night from the outside.

Prisons, should be easy to get in hard to get out. (obvious right :) )

High Security Corporation buildings (like the one in example 3 would be at the lower end) should be hard to get in a bit easier to get out (just demolish the wall with Explosives, then run)

DigitalZombie:
Dunno if we can post our own buildings, but here goes.

Gene&Erics cleaning company
A cleaning company that mostly caters to Aztec affiliated companies. They mostly use a host of cleaning drones and a few grumpy overseers.
The overseers are overworked and underappreciated. They often have a single or 2 ranks in engineering and piloting.
While the company in itself isnt super exiting, they do have a lot of paydata on other more powerful companies.

Runner hooks: social engineering will reveal some inside information, like the patroling drones, mana ward, the purpose of the second host etc.

The CEO has an bunrako parlor addiction, he will do almost anything to keep that hidden from his wife.  Anything from fauling to report a breach in his security... or using company funds to kill any nosy runners...

Meat world security: front and back entrance with cameras, and rating 2 maglocks (key cards).
The company also has an integrated garage, with a camera and maglock rating 2.

The several drones patrol the interior, they run primarily with their pilot and clearsight. They are ordered to alert a local security company when detecting intruders, or going offline.( not sending their all is ok signal for more than 5 minutes).
Security goons will arrive shortly when alerted.

Magical security: the company has a contracts with ( someones elses magical company).
The company has a ward on the second floor, the ward isnt permanetely, but is renewed each month. The cleaning company is obligated by their more powerful business customers to have a manaward to secure the Access to their special host.
If a breach is detected in the manaward, security goons will arrive shortly.

Runner hooks: legwork will reveal that sometimes the ward runs out, before it is renewed. Noone in Gene&Erics has astral perception, so they cant check it themselves. By the books the Ward should have a length of 5 Weeks, getting renewed the on the 9th each Monty. In reality its only active for about 4 Weeks.

Matrix security: The company has 2 hosts, 1 standard public host, and one for more sensitive client data.

The public host is sculpted as a sleek, pastel coloured open office, with lots of windows and shiny surfaces. A lot of happy workers are cleaning all the surfaces ( even though the company primarily uses drones). They constantly greet visitors and bombards them with slogans and company offers.  One of the cleaners doesnt interact with visitors, other than a friendly nod- thats the patrol IC. The other IC will when the alarm sounds, they are also Friendly cleaners, and fight with cleaning tools and soap.

Rating 2 public host host ( Attack:3  Sleaze:2  DP: 5 Firewall: 4)
The host has 3 IC, patrol, Acid and Blaster. ( it can only run 2 at a time, and will automatically run the next IC, when one is defeated).

The second host is sculpted like a glass pyramid, while its clean and shiny it seems somewhat intimidating. All IC are sculpted like various glass golems.

The second host is only accesible through the first host
Host rating 4 ( attack 7, sleaze: 4, DP: 5, FW: 6)
It has 5 IC (4 can be run at a time) patrol, blaster,binder,  killer, crash

The company has a matrix security contract with company ( someone elses creation), which will deliver a security spider when a host is compromised.
The second host is only accessible from the second floor, within the manaward.

Runner hooks: the second host has a lot of information regarding their customers, primarily Aztec companies. Cleaning schedules, basic passkeys, IDs, basic blueprints of floorplans etc.

Question: can IC be reloaded when defeated ? I cant find anything about it in the CRB. And can they just be crashed as a program? Without being reloadable?

Edit: Ive updated the part about their magical and Matrix security, as a response to Cigarsmokers comment.

Question: can you actually have a host that is only accessible from certain physical locations?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version