Shadowrun Play > GM's Toolbox

[Ressource] 3 examples how building security could look in 6th edition

<< < (3/3)

CigarSmoker:

--- Quote from: DigitalZombie on ---Dunno if we can post our own buildings, but here goes.
[...]

--- End quote ---
As thread starter i can only say i dont know how the ressources are to be structured here :) i just thought informations about this particular field of 'Run'ing seemed to be missing. Feel free to ask anything and i try to answer (but im no SR expert on lore. i just know a lot about real life security measures)

--- Quote from: DigitalZombie on ---[...]Question: can IC be reloaded when defeated ? I cant find anything about it in the CRB. And can they just be crashed as a program? Without being reloadable?

--- End quote ---
p. 185Host Security and Architecture
A host can launch one IC program per combat round, at the beginning of the turn, and can have up to its rating in IC programs running at once. Hosts may only run one
copy of each type of IC. You can read that on the pages 186 and further.

For my examples the Hosts in example 2 and 3 will be advised if the Security Hackers are alarmed to call Sparky and Killer  IC. Default is Partol IC which just searches for illegal actions. (p.186 ff). The security Hackers are generaly adviced to preserve life for publicity reasons.

For my examples: in example 1 its Patrol IC only.
Example 1 uses only White Ice per Default (note: when a Player Hacker has used for example Probe/Backdoor entry there is no reason for the IC to attack the Hacker as long as he does legal actions. This may stop with a failed test or glitch (GM has last word, be gentle as it seems Hackers were underperformers in 4th and 5th Edition as far as i know )

Edit:

I add some things regarding WeakSpots in Security:

As GM i try to find synergies for the Group Members to solve problems. There should be weak spots anyway even in a carefully designed building. The Runners are the Protagonists and supposed to be good at what they do.

Synergies:
- Hacker hacks the Building Host, Troll with high Strength beats in one of the Windows (even for 9 Structure rating only need DV 5 = 9 Str to do that)
( Groups without Hacker they find out by Legwork that one of the Windows was recently replaced and is not yet included in the system, can just beat in as above.)

- Group finds out that there is a Ventilation shaft on the Roof thats rather large, a B&E expert with high Agility can just slip in. Once inside he opens some Fire Exit, need a Hacker again to keep Alarm from going off. Can reach Roof either by climbing, flying Vehicles or Levitate spell.
(Without Hacker again Legwork might help to figure something out)

- Group finds out by Legwork that the Rigger doing the shift is totally into some kind of Person or Type of Person. Mage turns the Groups Face with Physical Mask spell into that Person and the Face talks his/her way in.

On a side note:
Host guarding the Building and the one containing Data should be separate, thus forcing the Hacker to get an Access inside (oldschool Shadowrun).

CigarSmoker:
Updated first post, included a 4th example. On a side note for example 4 thats still me using velvet gloves :) its a game and supposed to be fun so there have to be big holes in the security. Especially in the Magic area you can setup a few things that basically are a 100% to chance to get an Alarm going off, but thats against the lore, where Blacksites have been succesfully infiltrated in the past.

---

--- Quote from: DigitalZombie on ---Magical security: the company has a contracts with ( someones elses magical company).
The company has a ward on the second floor, the ward isnt permanetely, but is renewed each month.

--- End quote ---

I like your example the only thing i wonder as reader why is there a ward on the second floor, there should always be a purpose for each security measure. Maybe i missed that tough (i read it twice now)

In  real life this works as follows:
- You try to presee a risk  (ranging from someone could listen into our conversation or someone could come astrally and instruct a spirit to slaughter us)
- You think about the risk and about how you want to deal with it.
- a ward would be a good way to deal with astrally projecting mages listening into your communication, (but you would have the same effect when just using DNI to talk with the others, no way to magically intrude) but against a spirit slaughtering mundanes it would only be a slow down, so not very effective.
There are several reasons why a ward could still be set up just for the purpose of talking (like a showoff "we are so powerful, we have a ward!")

so always imagine when mapping out a security measure for your game "what would an exec say?" they would tell you: no, we dont need that expensive ward we just use DNI

Since you use nomenclature like social engineering maybe you know a deal or two about security as well :) but well i try to explain what i know

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version