NEWS

BREAKING NEWS: AZTLAN ECONOMICALLY SANCTIONED BY THE UN AND CORPORATE COURT

• 120 Replies

bobo69

• Chummer
« Reply #30 on: <12-02-11/1451:37> »
won't be surprised him Sirrurg is backing the alamo, the AZT is backing those Pro Indian guerillas in the CAS.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #31 on: <12-02-11/1451:48> »
and how long will it take before they come up witha nanofac for the old M-4 assault file to counterbalance those with AK-97 Nanofaccing
You'd have to find people that want M-4s still, while the AK-97 is still in production (for now) and still selling quite well.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <12-02-11/1506:38> »
Runner BB still has them being produced. it has the advantage ofa frame that's still around, is cheap, and can be adapted
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #33 on: <12-02-11/1530:41> »
Really, anyone who didn't see this coming had their heads buried in sand. The Aztechnology/Aztlan thing has pissed off the rest of the Big 10 for years. No one cried when Ghostwalker kicked the Big A out of Denver, or the PCC did the same to them in LA.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <12-02-11/1544:57> »
And the CAS would like part of Tejas back....
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #35 on: <12-02-11/1750:20> »
They want the Alamo and Santa Anna's Leg.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #36 on: <12-02-11/1912:42> »
Really, anyone who didn't see this coming had their heads buried in sand.

Since the game's beginning, even.  Aztlan is Aztechnology; Aztechnology wants to be top-notch, the best, the most powerful, with nobody in 2nd through 50th place.  The problem with ruining them in every other part of the universe besides Central America -- which meant you, yes you, every time you visited Stuffer Shack and its 79% Aztechnology-produced items -- was the fact that they had the PR machine that really was second to none.  Every time news broke about an atrocity, two days or a week later AZT would release some cute or fantastic little PR gig that completely neutered all the bad stuff you thought.

Now they put Horizon on the playing field, and suddenly AZT's most useful tool gets taken off the board.  Which means Aztechnology has to use what other tools they have -- and the one they have that nobody else does is the nation-state of Aztlan.  Getting access to the treasures of the Amazon will revitalize their chemical and drug enterprises, and dealing finally with the ever-problematic border war with Amazonia.  Yucatan's been finalized, so ...

But of course, they've taken a page from both the Yucatan rebels and do their best to use the forces of nature against the opposition.  And the scale at which they're doing it -- the scale at which they're showing the world can now wage bionatural war -- has everyone spooked.

So of course they're going to give them a friendly warning.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #37 on: <12-02-11/1946:42> »
The problem, as always, will be PR.

It would be very easy for the Azzies to spin this to make them look like the underdog being bullied for one of a dozen different reasons.

Shadowrun:  Where you can sacrifice babies, but the public will still love you.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <12-02-11/2007:14> »
See my note re: Horizon, Bull.  Previously true, but Horizon's PR machine trumps Aztechnology's PR machine nowadays.
Pananagutan & End/Line

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #39 on: <12-02-11/2057:34> »
See my note re: Horizon, Bull.  Previously true, but Horizon's PR machine trumps Aztechnology's PR machine nowadays.
Maybe yes, maybe no.  Horizon specializes in PR, but AZT has been at the job for a long, long time.  And it certainly isn't afraid to get heavy and hard with news agencies, covertly of course, that don't toe it's line.

Horizon has new practices and techniques that AZT hasn't and certainly has AR-Style PR above everyone else, but AZT has experience with 'Trid, Simsense, and even good ol' Print (Matrix Text, actually) and a lot of connections already in hand worldwide.

It'll be like the old Heavyweight Champion fighting the Rising Star New Kid, see if old age and treachery still trumps youth and enthusiasm.  Either way, lumps are going to be had.

Also remember that AZT produces FOOD.  Yes, Horizon has a bit of investment in there, but it's one of AZT's major sources of income.  Start having to increase the cost of food because of the "Illegal and illogical embargo put into place by the UN/CC", and people might start shifting opinions all by themselves.  Of course, it might also be a good time for other companies to take a bit of a loss and try and wait out AZT's downfall to get at farmland at a cheap price.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <12-02-11/2212:53> »
This is one of the times that I really, really wish that the Corporate Guide had included numbers the way the previous two versions did.  It becomes so much easier to say 'well, Horizon's PR machine is gonna trump Aztechnology's' when you see that HOZ has a 12 and AZT has a 10.  (Everyone else has an 8 or less.  ;) )

Also, just because Horizon has new techniques doesn't mean that they ignore the old ones.  Or that AZT is going to be able to kick around news agencies -- because, see, most of them are already owned by other megacorporations, and all of them are going to be tooting the Horizon-designed horn.  I'd actually look for an increase against Aztech media outlets in the very near future due to this.

Regarding the whole 'food' issue, well -- yes, Aztech is a major producer of Consumer Goods, which includes food.  Aztechnology is not the only producer, and corporate and national memory goes a long way.  Aztech runs the risk, if they nudge the price of their food products too high, of getting the various food-producing companies outside Aztlan borders nationalized.  Corporations lobby nations with the argument of 'your citizens are starving, they're doing this deliberately, THEY did it to YOUR companies, just do it to the ones of theirs that'll feed your people' and suddenly Aztech's Consumer Goods rating goes from an 8 to a 2.  Then the corps buy the companies off the nations at pennies on the dollar.

Remember that you aren't talking Aztechnology vs. Horizon here, CanRay.  You're talking Aztechnology vs EVERYONE, with Horizon being the front man (but not the only man) on this one particular thing, i.e. selling how bad Aztechnology is to the Man On The Street.  Ref. Ensenada Strike at what happens when all the other kids on the playground get seriously pissed off at the one bully and decide they're not gonna take it any more.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #41 on: <12-02-11/2225:46> »
Wyrm's right. The only way Aztechnology has survived is that they've only once pissed off everyone at the same time. They've done them all individually, of course, but the last time the Court dropped the hammer on AZT, they learned their lesson, for a while.

And beyond the Big 10, ALL the Great Dragons would love to take a chunk out of Aztlan, for killing one of their own (oh, and the whole blood magic thing). And the PCC and CAS both wouldn't mind kicking the Azzies when they're down, either.

Worst case scenario for Aztech? Sirrurg, Ghostwalker, the Corporate Court, PCC, and CAS all team up to take the corporation and country apart, piece by piece.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <12-02-11/2250:53> »
Ares is getting kicked around, too.

Don't ever underestimate Aztechnology.
« Last Edit: <12-02-11/2252:25> by James Meiers »

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #43 on: <12-02-11/2311:14> »
popcorn anyone?
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #44 on: <12-02-11/2333:49> »
Lots of yellow grease on mine, please....
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator