NEWS

Stealing Cars

• 35 Replies

Overbyte

• Omae
« on: <03-03-19/2213:04> »
Somewhere there are some rules for stealing vehicles.
Anyone know where they are.. better yet how one can find things in the million SR books? :)
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-03-19/2221:29> »
R5 has rules for Anti-Theft systems (pg 159).  Logically, if the vehicle lacks an Anti-Theft system, it lacks an Anti-Theft system :)

R1 just detects unauthorized intrusion without giving rules for the sensors.  Presumably you'd use the ones in SR5 pg 360-362.  GM will have to pick exactly what the sensors are detecting and what their rating is.  Although the Vehicle's Sensor Rating is probably as good a metric as anything.  Vehicles are probably assumed to have locks on the doors, but it'd be up to the GM to determine what kind/rating.

R2 incorporates rating 1, plus the ability for the owner to give a remote kill command to the vehicle.  The mechanics that remotely kill the vehicle can be deactivated with a Hardware + Logic (4) test.

Of course, you could instead just have the team decker hack 3 marks on the car and BAM he's got control of it.

Becoming the new owner of stolen gear (cars included) involves an extended Hardware test (SR5 pg 237).
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <03-03-19/2238:31> »
Thanks SSDR.
I could have thought I read some more extensive rules somewhere, but I might just be old and senile.
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <03-04-19/0104:09> »
Don't forget the standard 'unless you manage to turn off its wireless or throw it in a Faraday cage, it can be tracked and it's a matter of law enforcement priorities'. And if you jack a criminal's... Plus changing ownership requires being online in the Matrix, so during the extended test you're trackable. Good luck changing ownership on that Mob Limo!
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-04-19/0201:45> »
If you only plan to steal it to get a few dozen kilometers down the road before ditching it, I wouldn’t worry too much about the myriad ways the car can be tracked.

Obviously, you shouldn’t try to steal anything too nice or do it in a secure neighborhood. After that, place a call to a buddy on your burner Meta Link telling him where to meet you, then demonstrate to the world what the phrase “Drive it like you stole it.” means.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-04-19/0225:52> »
On my to-do list.

Dangit.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <03-04-19/0302:00> »
The real challenge is to steal a car, use it on a run, then put it back where you found it without the owner ever knowing it was gone.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

mcv

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <03-04-19/0443:45> »
The real challenge is to steal a car, use it on a run, then put it back where you found it without the owner ever knowing it was gone.
Particularly if the real goal of the run is to frame the car owner for the run.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <03-04-19/0712:10> »
After that, place a call to a buddy on your burner Meta Link telling him where to meet you, then demonstrate to the world what the phrase “Drive it like you stole it.” means.
Extremely carefully, as to not get gunned down by Lone Star?

On my to-do list.

Dangit.
I feel your pain.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <03-04-19/0743:41> »
Reminder to everyone that the owner can't call KE to tell them that their vehicle has been stolen if they are dead, unconscious, or tied up in the trunk.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <03-04-19/0859:51> »
On my to-do list.

Dangit.

I would imagine that hot-wiring a car is probably involving some kind of forged RFID signal from a fake key fob.  Necessitating use of the Electronic Warfare skill, perhaps? I would imagine getting a car to start hasn't been governed by the Automotive Mechanic skill since before the (first) Crash, although maybe Hardware + Logic would/could be involved.

Or instead... again the easiest thing is for a hacker to just put 3 marks on it.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <03-04-19/1029:15> »
Or instead... again the easiest thing is for a hacker to just put 3 marks on it.
That's assuming that the car is wirelessly enabled (and therefore, on) when you try to jack it.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <03-04-19/1054:53> »
That's assuming that the car is wirelessly enabled (and therefore, on) when you try to jack it.

We've already had the argument about whether or not it's safe/viable for cars to be throwbacks or have wireless off.  Let's not rehash it.

Can we at least agree that cars are no more likely to be wireless-off than any other piece of gear?  You can normally presume any device is wireless-enabled...

Besides, even if one assumes that parked cars are wireless-off, all you have to do is slap a data tap on it and it's hackable again.
« Last Edit: <03-04-19/1058:21> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #13 on: <03-04-19/1336:06> »
Making a car hackable is easy with some manual labour.
Reminder to everyone that the owner can't call KE to tell them that their vehicle has been stolen if they are dead, unconscious, or tied up in the trunk.
Only works if the car is privately owned (rather than corp-owned) and the owner doesn't have a biomonitor. So enjoy. =)

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <03-04-19/1400:35> »
Step 1, Agility + Sneaking at a difficulty TBD by the GM to physically get over to a Vehicle unnoticed.  I usually set the Difficulty based on foot traffic and neighborhood security rating (Cameras/Police Drones).  Head to the bad part of town and look for a car parked out on the street.

Step 2, Agility + Locksmith vs Device Rating to remove the lock covering and get a chance to Direct Access the Vehicle.  Alternatively, Hardware + Logic, or whatever the counter to the appropriate Anti-Theft Rating is if one is installed.

Step 3, Direct Access, Hack on the Fly, Hacking plus Logic vs Firewall + Willpower. 

Step 4, Turn off Wireless. 

Step 5, Drive it like you stole it.

Step 6, As a GM feel glad that you can simply machine gun the team's car without making the Rigger cry.