NEWS

Critter powers and Counterspelling

• 9 Replies

Shadowwalker

• Newb
« on: <09-05-10/1921:06> »
Greetings All I have a Question for all of you.
Is counterspelling useful in resistance to Mana based critter powers?
also when trying to shake off the effect of Critter power that effect the mind will existing counter spelling help?

thanks for the help

Mooncrow

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <09-05-10/2021:56> »
Greetings All I have a Question for all of you.
Is counterspelling useful in resistance to Mana based critter powers?
also when trying to shake off the effect of Critter power that effect the mind will existing counter spelling help?

thanks for the help

No, critter powers are generally not spells (aside from Innate Spell, obviously) and counterspelling is not effective against them. 

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-06-10/0248:30> »
There is an initiate metamagic ability that lets one do it, but again that is metamagic.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Shadowwalker

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-06-10/0307:52> »
There is an initiate metamagic ability that lets one do it, but again that is metamagic.

Oh which one?

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <09-06-10/0311:59> »
You had to ask.

I don't recall the name of it, but I believe it is in the magic sourcebook.  One of the newer initiations.  If not, then I really don't recall where I saw it (it's late and I'm tired, maybe I'll remember tomorrow).
There is no overkill.

Mooncrow

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <09-06-10/0316:18> »
Hmm, I'm unaware of one that does that.  It's possible I could have missed it though.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #6 on: <09-06-10/0337:38> »
I couldn't find anything in Street Magic like that either. Maybe another book or earlier edition?

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <09-06-10/0346:27> »
Possibly an earlier edition.  I have every one and every magic book made for SR.  It is quite conceivable that I am confusing one or more of them.
There is no overkill.

Shadowwalker

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <09-06-10/1838:38> »
I think that the thing that confuses me the most is that the SR4A states that you can attempt to shake off the effects of The Influence (p286) Critter power using the the test as describe under Mental Manipulation p.210 which reads as follows: Mental Manipulations: For Mental Manipulation spells, the caster makes an Opposed Spellcasting + Magic Test against the target’s Willpower (+ Counterspelling, if available). If the caster scores more hits, she controls the target as noted in the spell description. Every (Force) Combat Turns, the victim may spend a Complex Action to shake off the mental control. The victim rolls a Willpower (+ Counterspelling) Test; each hit reduces the net hits on the caster’s original Spellcasting Test. If the spellcaster’s net hits are reduced to 0, the spell no longer affects the target.
SR4A p. 210

Mooncrow

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <09-06-10/1916:33> »
There are a few places that specifically detail that Counterspelling use is allowed, Faerie Glamour is another.  But by and large, it's not the rule.