NEWS

Safe houses

• 91 Replies

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #15 on: <01-29-11/1737:48> »
The whole of the barrens is a safehouse.

Test to survive in an urban environment without spending a yen is Willpower + Survival (1).
;D true story!
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <01-29-11/1847:07> »
The shipping conatiner is a really cool idea!

They cost about $1,500 to $2,000 so they are cheap and you can do lots of interesting modifications to them!
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Damnyankee

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <01-29-11/1911:32> »
I had an early 3E character that lived in two containers on top of each other.  the bottom was a garage for his bike. 

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <01-29-11/2355:19> »
That would work out perfectly. Hey, in RL that wouldn't be a bad idea for a storage/shop of some sort either!
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Billy_Club

• Chummer
« Reply #19 on: <01-30-11/0010:17> »
Expanding on the cargo box idea:

http://www.hybridseattle.com/cargotecture.html

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <01-31-11/0257:33> »
I'm reading a lot of good stuff! But what about the high end stuff? Anybody break into a safe house and see a trick they liked? I have so I'll share. ;) My team and I had been working together for 11 months, we had plenty of nuyen from all the work we'd been doing and a generous sponsor to boot. So we planned to build ourselves a team hideout. Since we had a street Doctor, we were going to renovate a run down 2 story building that had a basement and turn the place in to a doctor's office/ safe house/ armory. We wanted to make it look like an ordinary apartment building on the outside and make it a medium group lifestyle equivalent fortress. the outside door had a buzz panel (like most apartments) with a camera. (as to play the part.) Which was linked only to the monitor at the reception desk.  On the main floor was the doctors office, lobby of which was going to be watched over by a smart turret shotgun with an extended drum magazine and an armored and chemically sealed reception desk. along with a false ceiling panel that was hiding a pair of Breath Taker grenades. (In case of something the shotgun couldn't handle) along with 3 rooms with valkyrie beds and an ER where our Doctor could work. All hallways had double coverage from two turrets. A staircase in the back lead to the upstairs which contained the group apartment covered by a light machine gun turret and more Breath Taker grenades and flashbangs. The upstairs had 4 bed rooms and a communal bathroom (showers kept separate) with beds, an open kitchen, Trid area, table, all the usual living room and kitchen stuff, and at the end of the hall a safe room that held the controls for all the automated defense systems and cameras in/on the safe house (including a rating 6 smart jammer.) Operating on a closed wired network, as well as the armory for the upstairs, and the failsafe trigger to be set in case of a full scale assault on the building.  ;D The basement would have acted as the machine shop/garage/loot storage area. All the vehicles got stored there along with stolen, or otherwise procured armor, equipment and weapons. (After their RFID tags had been burned out.) Our mage provided the building with a second level of security, providing Watcher spirts to tell her when anyone tried to look around inside our place astrally. I thought it would stand up pretty damn while in the case of anything short of a KE SWAT team showing up. But I'm interested in other people's ideas on it. So Tell me folks, what do you think?
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #21 on: <01-31-11/0854:00> »
Oh, well, if you're going to go the nuyen's no object route... ;)

That actually sounds pretty good. Reminds me a bit of the Leverage team's home base (minus the doctor, plus a bar).

topcat

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <01-31-11/1008:44> »
I'm a bit leery of keeping the group in one location and of making that location static.  The more you go to any one safehouse, the less safe it is.  People will notice you, friends will know where to find you, your datatrail will show repeated use in the area, and if you go there and stay there as a group it'll be easier to identify.  At that point, your safehouse is little better than a plain old house.  You can arm and armor it as much as you want, but siege tools/tactics tend to win out.

In my opinion then, a good safehouse should be used only once, preferably by only one person. The fewer people that know, the better ("three can keep a secret if two are dead" and that sort of thing).  There are too many potential boltholes out there to bother with keeping any one of them.

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <01-31-11/1137:03> »
I can understand that a well used safe house is no longer a safe house. the only extra considerations i can add were that It was mainly to be used as the street doctor's office and nothing else unless need be. It's located in Everett since they area was largely disputed by corps and other people there is very little actual KE over-site of the area and a Huge squatter population, which helps it hide in plan sight. Beside the squatters making it look less like anything odd is going on, the fact that it's the only doctor's office in the area willing to help people with serious injuries. (some community hooding.) Which has the the locals on our side. if someone comes looking for the place we'll know. Beyond that... it is what it is.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

topcat

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <01-31-11/1149:40> »
Community ties are good all around.  If anyone who might come looking for you sticks out in your community, then they'll have trouble getting anywhere.  Good advice!

Damnyankee

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <01-31-11/1159:54> »
I'm reading a lot of good stuff! But what about the high end stuff? Anybody break into a safe house and see a trick they liked? I have so I'll share. ;) My team and I had been working together for 11 months, we had plenty of nuyen from all the work we'd been doing and a generous sponsor to boot. So we planned to build ourselves a team hideout. Since we had a street Doctor, we were going to renovate a run down 2 story building that had a basement and turn the place in to a doctor's office/ safe house/ armory. We wanted to make it look like an ordinary apartment building on the outside and make it a medium group lifestyle equivalent fortress. the outside door had a buzz panel (like most apartments) with a camera. (as to play the part.) Which was linked only to the monitor at the reception desk.  On the main floor was the doctors office, lobby of which was going to be watched over by a smart turret shotgun with an extended drum magazine and an armored and chemically sealed reception desk. along with a false ceiling panel that was hiding a pair of Breath Taker grenades. (In case of something the shotgun couldn't handle) along with 3 rooms with valkyrie beds and an ER where our Doctor could work. All hallways had double coverage from two turrets. A staircase in the back lead to the upstairs which contained the group apartment covered by a light machine gun turret and more Breath Taker grenades and flashbangs. The upstairs had 4 bed rooms and a communal bathroom (showers kept separate) with beds, an open kitchen, Trid area, table, all the usual living room and kitchen stuff, and at the end of the hall a safe room that held the controls for all the automated defense systems and cameras in/on the safe house (including a rating 6 smart jammer.) Operating on a closed wired network, as well as the armory for the upstairs, and the failsafe trigger to be set in case of a full scale assault on the building.  ;D The basement would have acted as the machine shop/garage/loot storage area. All the vehicles got stored there along with stolen, or otherwise procured armor, equipment and weapons. (After their RFID tags had been burned out.) Our mage provided the building with a second level of security, providing Watcher spirts to tell her when anyone tried to look around inside our place astrally. I thought it would stand up pretty damn while in the case of anything short of a KE SWAT team showing up. But I'm interested in other people's ideas on it. So Tell me folks, what do you think?
Ive done things like that with past groups.  We learned its all fun and games untill some one brings home a stripper with a big mouth.  If you get burned you loose it all.  It makes you a target.

damnyankee

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <01-31-11/1216:00> »
Ive done things like that with past groups.  We learned its all fun and games untill some one brings home a stripper with a big mouth.  If you get burned you loose it all.  It makes you a target.

damnyankee

Yup - but also makes for great stories too  ;)
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <01-31-11/1234:28> »
Ive done things like that with past groups.  We learned its all fun and games untill some one brings home a stripper with a big mouth.  If you get burned you loose it all.  It makes you a target.

No offense Omae, but you or one of yours brings a stripper/prostitute to the safe house you deserve to be targeted. Having a good safe house is one thing. Using your brain when you need to lay low is another. If you have a good place to hide and you bring parties untrust worthy (read: any/everyone who doesn't need to know.) to that safe house, it is NO LONGER SAFE. Therefore defeating the entire purpose. :-\
Moral of the story, if you need to get the rocks off when you're trying not to be killed 1. wrong priorities, 2. Go to eat in not take out.
« Last Edit: <01-31-11/1237:07> by Teyl_Iliar »
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <01-31-11/1556:03> »
Regarding Leverage: They don't really use safe houses; the Leverage office is a base of operations (and front business). Instead, they rely on grifting to protect their identities and assets. Ideally, their targets never know who burned them, at least not until they're in a position where they can't retaliate. Their enemies occasionally see through the deception and hit them where they live.

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <01-31-11/1630:46> »

No offense Omae, but you or one of yours brings a stripper/prostitute to the safe house you deserve to be targeted. Having a good safe house is one thing. Using your brain when you need to lay low is another. If you have a good place to hide and you bring parties untrust worthy (read: any/everyone who doesn't need to know.) to that safe house, it is NO LONGER SAFE. Therefore defeating the entire purpose. :-\
Moral of the story, if you need to get the rocks off when you're trying not to be killed 1. wrong priorities, 2. Go to eat in not take out.

First...stripper does not equate to hooker.

Second...I like the idea of never sleeping in the same place twice. Autopilot and a van can be your friend.

Third...Yeah, don't be bringing anybody back to your super secret hideout...Alfred screwed up when he let Vicki into the Bat Cave. 8-)