NEWS

Artifacts Unbound cover by John Zeleznik

• 33 Replies

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #30 on: <10-19-11/1243:35> »
Mr. Zeleznik was perhaps the most gracious artist I've ever spoken with (though Mr. Elmore may still have him beat), even though it was only via email.  In searching high and low for a print of a favorite piece of artwork -- the image I use part of as my avatar on here -- I ended up shooting him an email.  He had other prints available, so I figured I'd just check and see on this one.

In response, he sent me a promotional poster of the DMZ cover he received back at publication time, and a big ol' envelope of MORE Shadowrun artwork he had lying around -- signed prints, stuff from other Shadowrun covers he did, you name it -- and refused any sort of payment for his generosity.  It was ridiculously awesome of him.  I was asking if something was available for sale, and instead he basically gave it to me, and a bunch of other stuff, too.

We exchanged a few emails, just chatting about the game, the old artwork, and my then-very-recent first projects for SR.  I encouraged him to contact Jason and look into drawing for 'em again.  I don't know if he DID based on my cheerful suggestion, or if he'd been planning on it already, or if the artwork crew contacted Mr. Zeleznik, instead, or what...but I know what I'm gonna TELL myself.  ;)

So that's my story an' I'm stickin' to it.  This awesome new cover is thanks to me, dagnabbit.  Allllllll me! 

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #31 on: <10-19-11/1315:05> »
Yeah, Zeleznik is pretty cool.  He used to do Gen Con every year (I had his signature in my BABY, now sadly long gone :( ), but I haven't seen him in a while.  Not sure if I  just missed him the last few years ( Even when i'm not crazy busy or walking wounded, I still barely see the entire exhibit hall floor, and this year I didn't even get to check out half of it).

Heck, pretty much all the SR artists are awesome.  Laubenstein is great, I'd met him a few times back in the FASA days, and then saw him again at Gen Con last year, and he actually remembered me.  Fred hooper was hilarious.  Mike "Skuzzy" Nielson and Jim Nelson were very cool.  Steve Prescott was a awesome.  I never met Joel Biske in person, but I've chatted with him via facebook a handful of times in the last couple years and he's really cool.  Klaus Scherwinksi is a party animal.

And of course the current guys...  Andreas "AAS" Schroth is a great guy (And very gracious and cool when I send him art notes or request changes).  Ian King is pretty new, but knocking out great Missions covers and seems pretty cool.  And I canot say enough good things about Echo Chernik, she's just amazingly awesome.

:)

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #32 on: <10-19-11/1545:20> »
I'll let Jason make the big announcement, but umm...  Yeah.  Go poke around the Battleshop or Drive Thru RPG :)

Bull

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner