NEWS

Gun Heaven's New Bang-Bangs

• 216 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #210 on: <09-11-11/2238:57> »
Not going to stop us, and we've proven it.  :P  At least we're not at the insane extremist bomb throwing stages yet.  (Just Internet Trolling.  Mine is a physical adept with a cyberarm, horns, and subdurmal bony deposits.).

One of my players went through Gun Haven Heaven with me with it on the Big Screen (I have mine set up as a second monitor  ;D).  Despite his lack of gun nuttiness, even he's going, "That...  Doesn't work." on a lot of the new firearm designs.  Some of the RL firearms did make him look sideways at the screen, however.  So take that as you will.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Cass100199

• Chummer
  • Truth hurts only if you're a dumba**.
« Reply #211 on: <09-11-11/2312:55> »
It's slang, man.

It's ignorance and laziness. Unfortunately, this just contributes to the cliche of the gamer.

Btw, this sin't about the evolution of language. That's just plain silly. It isn't evolution when there is a perfectly good word, that's an industry/ hobbyist standard and it's simply ignored by those too lazy to educate themselves.
« Last Edit: <09-11-11/2316:12> by Cass100199 »
You can't tell me what toys I can play with.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #212 on: <09-11-11/2321:54> »
Cass, you're getting offensive again.  Watch it.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #213 on: <09-11-11/2327:59> »
You mean "dual magazine."  ;)

You mean dual detachable box magazine?

When someone says "clip," you know what they mean.
It's slang, man. 
Language evolves despite what every gun nut on the planet might do to stop it.  :P

True, but I still have to give my friends and the like a hard time about it because...they're my friends. If you can rag on your chums, who can you? That and on a semi-personal note, I have to keep in practice of calling them mags. Not because I am some kind of gun nut, but my superior officers and other officers are. Professionals can forgive non-professionals, but professionals (as in with mine and many other departments) are merciless on other supposed professionals.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Cass100199

• Chummer
  • Truth hurts only if you're a dumba**.
« Reply #214 on: <09-11-11/2334:40> »
You see, I don't get that. Example:, a family member of mine is a drummer and plays with his band pretty regularly. The other night he started talking about stacks and this kind of PA and that kind of speaker...I didn't ask him to dumb it down. I asked questions so that I could follow his conversation. I listened and engaged so that I could understand. This isn't hard. Anyone with half an IQ point can look something up and find a plethora of information within seconds. So to me, if someone is offended by the insinuation that they refused to educate themselves on a matter, then the simple way to rectify that is to look it up. Learn before you speak (generally, not specifically as an intended target). The onus of your fee-fees is yours.
You can't tell me what toys I can play with.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #215 on: <09-11-11/2352:22> »
Not everyone can learn the jargon for everything, nor take the time out to learn it either.  In addition, there's also the combination of terms that mean different things depending on what you're talking about.  (Hint:  If you're in HR and are talking about "Networking" to a bunch of IT guys, they're going to be thinking something TOTALLY DIFFERENT!).

Finally, people think they have the terms right due to "learning" them from TV and Movies, as well as proper media sources like the news which is always well researched and opinionated.   ::)  (OK, OK, I'll be good.).

Cass, we're not going to win this fight.  Pick your battles carefully.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #216 on: <09-11-11/2359:20> »
And, I think this discussion has run its course since it just the same things being said over and over again. Time to lock the thread.