NEWS

5e New GM looking for players

• 111 Replies

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <06-13-16/0836:36> »
Ok, so I've got sheets from Tecumsah, Herr Brackhaus, and RaiderJoseph. I'll be looking over them for any suggestions, and I'll see if there is any more interest before getting started

gwilym

• Chummer
« Reply #31 on: <06-13-16/1934:49> »
Sorry for the delay got the auditors in at work and chummer threw a hissy fit on the train. It's all ok now we are friends again. Working on a stealthy adept, cat or wolf for burglary or bounty hunter respectively. Any hints tips or preferences?
You are not what you think you are. you are an imitation of what your wish you were

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <06-13-16/2019:28> »
Update: I've having a murderously hard time recreating my character sheet in Chummer, mostly due to updates they're making to the Chummer code. It's less stable than it was before and the updates they're making don't seem to be  backwards-compatible. For example, I spent quite a bit of time over the weekend recreating my sheet in v180 only to have v181 come out today and now the same sheet crashes the program.

@Herr, are you having this issue at all?

I have the 20 Questions written in my head; now I just need to take the time to type them out. I'll do that soon.

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <06-13-16/2103:25> »
Don't worry too much about the chummer files, as long as I have a readable sheet for your character I should be able to work it out. If need be, I can try to recreate them in my chummer files, but a PDF would still be best of course. Thanks for keeping at it guys!

gwilym: either archetype could work just fine. I would personally lean towards cat cause I like stealthy games, but the group may just need the pure muscle of a wolf bounty hunter. Either could work though, so just get a sheet put together and I'll take a look.

initial notes for character sheets i've seen:

Eisa:
Why have blades, clubs, and unarmed combat all at low levels, and with specializations? That is spreading skill points through three barely there melee abilities. You would be better off pooling all those points into a single skill.
You have no ranged ability other than spellcasting, which is fine most of the time, but I would suggest at least pistols or something for when drain gets to be too much to handle.
Very low pools for quite a few skills, would be better off specializing a little more into the few things you want to be good at. As it is, the character is playable, but will likely have few successes with quite a few of the lower skill pools.
I would suggest re-working both knowledge skills and contacts to reflect working in Seattle. I know this was a missions character, in which these would make perfect sense, just a quick rework should be fine.
You have the Home Ground (CZ) and Rad-Tolerant positive qualities, neither of which will likely be any help at all outside of Chicago, could swap these out for other positive qualities, or just remove them and spend the BP elsewhere.
You have a LOT of combat spells that are all pretty similar. I understand the various secondary effects for elemental damage, but I would suggest diversifying a little more outside of combat spells and cut a couple of these. Also, Bug Zapper in manipulation is another one that will not likely come up in Seattle.
For lifestyle, just list which district of Seattle you’re living in e.g. Seattle: Redmond (E District) Low – 1 Month

Orc TM:
Focused Concentration Rating 1 could be useful, but will not help very much, as most Complex Forms will probably want to be sustained at a level higher than 1. Up to you though.
In your skills, you’ve got a ton of points spent on all the usual computer abilities, which is good, but may be able to spread them a bit. As a TM, I would suggest sticking with either Hacking or Cybercombat (as an orc, you’ll probably want to stick with hacking, as cybercombat relies on your CHA for your attack rating). Decompiling is something that will probably never actually be used, as TMs are pretty rare, so could lower that one and move the points to something more useful. With your AGI being so low, your pistols and sneaking skills are sitting at a pool of 3 dice each, I know it’s tough to fit it all in as a TM, but both of those are going to be skills you’ll be using, and you’re unlikely to get more than a single success on any of those tests right now. My suggestion: drop either intimidation or con, just stick with one or the other, drop survival, unarmed combat, and pilot groundcraft entirely. Use the points from those dropped pools to beef up sneaking, pistols, and perception. Also specializations are your friend! Use them for that extra 2 dice for 1 point boost.
You have a ton of complex forms, which is perfectly fine, but may become a little bogged down. Overall, anything that starts with “infuse…” is pretty well useless, as they all require you to sustain them, taking -2D to any other action so long as you are sustaining them. The only sustained complex form I’d suggest would be Diffusion of Firewall, and even that one is pretty iffy. Res Spike, Res Veil, and Transcendent Grid are all good ones, Static Bomb is situational, but could be useful. Stitches is another pretty useless one, as you can always just compile a new Sprite rather than healing the one you’ve already got. I would also suggest adding the Editor CF, as it is a HUGE bonus for TMs to bypass data bombs and deal with data (plus works faster than a decker).
I don’t usually check prices and such too closely, but I did notice you had 2 clips of regular ammo listed at 650 nuyen, which I know is a WAY overpriced. I’m guessing this was a typo? Also, a bit of advice I got building my TM – drop the smartlink and just get a laser sight, you’re spending a TON of that little cash you get to start with on the contacts to get the same bonus the laser sight would give you, plus you’re pretty locked into keeping them wireless, which means they can be bricked.
You’ve got a super high loyalty taxi driver contact, with that, you could probably just bum a ride around whenever needed and get rid of your pilot groundcraft skill.

Eddie:
What exactly is the restricted gear you got for the quality?
Take a minute to list out your fake SINs and Licenses as to what they cover. Also, 5 fake licenses is a bit overkill, usually only need 2-3 (one for your main job, one for your weapon, and maybe one for driving)
I didn’t check the numbers too closely, but otherwise looks pretty straightforward.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <06-13-16/2158:28> »
Tecumseh
Nope, I must have been lucky, no code issues with the chummer releases for me.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <06-14-16/0030:26> »
The character was built for a campaign where the GM asked us to create a realistic character driven by their background rather than a mechanically optimized PC. To that end, I agree with everything that you point out. If you are looking for more specialized characters then I will move in that direction.

I'm certainly not doing myself any favors by playing as a Norse magician, which is a Logic tradition, but that was the character concept in my head: a Nordic elementalist with fire, ice, and lightning, thus all the different combat spells. I could do a variation that would be Aztec (a Charisma tradition) or Sioux (Intuition) instead. I'll start penciling those out and see how it goes.

And, yes, I definitely intend to rework things for a Seattle setting instead of a Chicago game.

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <06-14-16/0554:13> »
All of you are welcome to ignore anything I put, I am only giving suggestions. I do like the character, Tec, and see nothing illegal about it, and I definitely don't intend to have everyone min-maxing craziness. Just trying to help out.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <06-14-16/0617:24> »
Ok, so I've got sheets from Tecumsah, Herr Brackhaus, and RaiderJoseph. I'll be looking over them for any suggestions, and I'll see if there is any more interest before getting started
Just wanted to point out that rednblack has a character concept submitted as well. He asked to let him know if the concept was of interest, and then he'd flesh out the crunch.

Also, any comments on my character, or are we good?
« Last Edit: <06-14-16/0621:35> by Herr Brackhaus »

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <06-14-16/0816:59> »
Yup, just a couple comments Herr Brackhaus, at the end of the long post under Eddie.

My apologies to rednblack, and thank you for bringing that up, I did look over the concept, and it sounds perfect, I'd like to see the sheet when your done crunching numbers.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <06-14-16/1049:35> »
Coolio. I added details on the fixer contact just now, added an endoscope, and replaced the 200 regular rounds for the machine pistol with 100 subsonic rounds instead for a total modifier of (4 silencer + 1 electronic firing + 2 subsonic ammo) = -7 modifier to hear gunshots from the MP. Net change is -250¥.

Response to comments:
Restricted Gear is for Pain Editor (Avail 18F)

Fake SINs and Licenses:
Rating 4: Marcus Brennan, UCAS (used for legitimate purposes, not for running)
   Licenses: Licensed Locksmith, Drivers License, Permits for Communications Devices, Concealed Carry, Machine Pistols, Tools (Locksmith)
Rating 2: Edward Allen Marshall, UCAS (used when running)
   Drivers License, Permits for Concealed Carry and Machine Pistols

Evotech Himitsu commlink and Autopicker is 8R, hence the communications devices and tools (locksmith) licenses. Essentially, anything I might be carrying on the street is either licensed or unrestricted. Everything that is Forbidden is in the smuggling compartment, or I'm illegally entering and possession of illegal goods is the least of my worries :)

ETA:
I'll probably replace Small Unit Tactics with another knowledge skill or two; as a non-primary combatant and a stealth-focused character in what looks like it could be a stealth-focused game, I don't think we'll need to coordinate movement under fire or set complex ambushes, so the skill is kind of reduntant and no longer entirely fitting the character.

ETA2:
What's your stance on toxins and subduing guards, by the way? I've invested quite a lot in the machine pistol with DMSO rounds so I'm curious if you'll be treating this like RAW (i.e. roll for surprise/ambush, I shoot the guard with a dose of narcoject, the guard may or may not get an action,  and if he does he might sound an alarm). I mean, technically a single complex action is enough to either observe in detail, and then a free action is enough to let out a scream over comms, so technically, it's incredibly difficult to subdue a guard by RAW.

Of course, alternatives is to handwave the combat and roll edge, or just handwave it entirely but I'd like to know your stance on this. Would I be better off buying some disposable syringes in order to inject the narcoject directly into the victim after grabbing them, if necessary? There's a couple of ways of subduing guards by RAW, but the rules of combat make them all tremendously risky maneuvers. With a focus on stealth I'm just curious what your view of quietly subduing guards are.

ETA3:
Did a little math and decided to go with two Rating 3 fake SINs instead of one R4 and one R2. That leaves me with 400¥ in change, keeping everything else as is.
« Last Edit: <06-14-16/1148:14> by Herr Brackhaus »

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #40 on: <06-14-16/1258:28> »
Got the crunch up on my previous post.  No apologies necessary, Crater.  I'm also interested in rulings on DMSO + Narco, as Chaim went that route as well.  I'm still sitting on 10 karma, and need to figure out if I should get some more gear -- always welcome -- beef up some skills, or branch out into a Martial Art.  Primary skills are in the 10-15 dice range, while secondary skills are sitting at 8-10 dice.  That in line with most of the rest of the team?

@Herr Brackhaus, I considered putting some ranks in SUT as well.  If you'd like a partner in those regards, I can swing it. 

I've also invested pretty heavily in Leadership (Direct) for bumping up teammate's rolls. 
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Nimbasa

• Chummer
  • To pray is to accept defeat
« Reply #41 on: <06-14-16/1307:11> »
https://docs.google.com/document/d/17VYgHu8DGnp4MUfZFb4nkNxN5pXd3H1weAJ2TCojXHU/edit?usp=sharing

Here's a sheet for a B&E artist I have. I also have an ex Yakuza shaman/hitman character I could draft a sheet for if you're interested in that instead.
Speech
Astral
Thought
Matrix/Commlink

CraterShip

• Omae
« Reply #42 on: <06-14-16/1558:59> »
I hadn't looked too much into the narcojet dmso combo, but I will likely do some minor handwaviness. I will likely let the guards do a limited set of simple actions rather than a full turn. Probably impaired as well as the drugs take effect. If a guard gets hit, he's likely going to go down quickly, if another guard sees or suspects foul play, they may actually react. This will of course also depend on your ability to hit a soft target, as dmso isn't going to through hardened milspec armor

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <06-14-16/1932:38> »
Cool, thanks CraterShip. I'll keep the capsule rounds then, with the intention of ambushing guards and catching them by surprise if becomes at all necessary to disable them.

Oh, and I'm more than happy to drop a couple fake licenses if you don't think they're necessary. I erred on the side of caution as the character doesn't have any persuasion skills.

rednblack
Not sure small unit tactics has much benefit in our case; there are only a couple maneuvers that are relevant for a non-direct action kind of team, and even those are marginal. Crossfire is good, and Dynamic Entry, but that's about it. What do you think?
« Last Edit: <06-14-16/1937:12> by Herr Brackhaus »

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #44 on: <06-15-16/1234:05> »
@Herr Brackhaus, I'm inclined to agree.  Slicing the Pie is the only other maneuver that I'd add to your list, but the usefulness of any of them seem rather limited for the kind of team we're seeing here.  I don't think we're really going to get picked for smash-and-grab kinda jobs.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal