NEWS

Massive multi-team 5th ed PbP Runner discussion thread.

• 155 Replies

Scawire

• Ace Runner
  • FightFightFight the endless Ninja Battle
« Reply #15 on: <08-08-14/2052:46> »
Since I think it is going to be hard to find anyone really wanting to play a Street level character I have posted a STREET LEVEL version Of my character to the same like I have above. He has changed his Street name to Dark Chi since he is not as Dodgy as he was before.

So if we need me to run street level I will.   8)

EDIT adding the link again....... http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=17617.msg312194#msg312194
« Last Edit: <08-08-14/2054:31> by Scawire »
Words,Thoughts,Matrix,Astral

Magic uses higher laws to over come lower laws.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #16 on: <08-08-14/2056:28> »
I LOVE street level characters. The only thing i feel comfortable predicting is that I'll probably be running that group.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Ravensoracle

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <08-08-14/2057:01> »
Added Alex the ex-Lonestar detective to my previous post. I just haven't got contacts finished since I wanted to see how we were going to handle those known between everyone.
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Subvocal

Flicker

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <08-08-14/2111:45> »
Handle: Cinder
Appearance:
Height: 4'1"
Weight: 58 lbs
Eyes: Gray with Blue Flecks
Hair: Red  Blonde Highlights
Role: Combat Mage
Expected Frequency of posting: At Least Once A Day

Sharla "Cinder" Acosta

Dwarven Combat Mage                               

Abilities:

Body: 3                                 
Agility: 3                               
Reaction: 3   (4)
Strength: 3
Will: 5           (9)
Logic: 4        (5)
Intuition: 4
Charisma: 5
Essence: 5.04
Magic: 6
Edge: 1

Initiative:  7 (8) + 1d6 (2d6)
Astral Initiative: 8 + 2d6

Physical Condition Boxes: 10
Stun Condition Boxes: 11
Over Flow: 3

Limits:

Mental: 7
Physical: 5
Social: 7

Foci:

Spell Focus: Health ( Ring ,  Force 5, 4 Successes Increased Willpower)

Cyber/Bio Ware: (Alpha)

Cerebral Booster Rating 1 +1 Logic
Synaptic Booster Rating 1  +1 Reaction +1 Initiative Die
Cyber Eyes. Rating 4  (16)
Image Link  (Free)
Flare Compensation  (1)
Low Light  (2)
Thermographic  (2)
Vision Enhancement Rating 3 (3)
Vision Magnification (2)
Smart link  (3)

Qualities:

Bilingual             
Human-Looking
College Education
Extraordinary Attribute Magic
Focused Concentration: Rating 5                 

Consummate Professional

Skills:

Magicial

Spell Casting: 6
Counter Spelling: 5
Ritual Spell Casting: 3

Conjuring (Group): 5
Binding:
Banishing:
Summoning:

Arcana: 2
Assensing: 4
Astral Combat: 2

Alchemy: 2
Artificing: 2
Disenchanting: 2

Active:

Automatics: 2
Pistols: 2
Blades: 2
Unarmed Combat: 2

Perception: 2
First Aid: 2
Swimming: 1
Etiquette: 2
Negotiation: 2
Computer: 1

Pilot Ground Craft: 1

Knowledge:

Magical Theory: 5
Magical Forensics: 5
Magical Threats: 5
Forensics: 5
Para biology: 2
Para zoology: 2

Languages:

English: N
Spanish: N

Spells:

Combat Spells:

Manabolt
Manaball
Firewater
Napalm
Stunbolt
Stunball

Detection:

Health:

Heal
Increase Reflexes
Increase Willpower

Illusion:

Improved Invisibility

Manipulation:

Glue Strip
Mana Barrier
Physical Barrier

Ritual Magic:

Alchemical Preparations:

Contacts:

Name: Kenta Matsumoto (Connections 3, Loyalty 4)
Race: Elf
Job: Shinto Shaman Talismonger / Qi Tattoo Artist

Name: Jeff Penning Connections 4, Loyalty 4)
Race: Human
Job: Mage Detective in the Paranormal Investigation Department

Name: Sho Fukui Connections 3, Loyalty 4)
Race: Elf
Job: Shinto Street Doc / Rigger

Name: Fran Holmes (Connections 4, Loyalty 4)
Race: Dwarf
Job: Fixer

GEAR:
Hermetic Library (Rating 6)
Reagents (Drams 500 Drams)

Erika Elite Commlink   (Device Rating: 4) x2

Armor Jacket (Leather Duster) (Armor 12)

Ares Crusader II.     (MP)   ACC    DV    AP   MODE.   RC   AMMO   AVAIL    COST
                                           5 (7)    7P      -     SA/BF*     2.     40(c)       9R       830¥

Concealable Quick-Draw Holster (Conceal -1, -1 to quick draw threshold )
10 Clips
APDS Ammo: 400
Gel Ammo: 400
Silencer

Ares Predator 5     (HP )   ACC   DV    AP   MODE.   RC   AMMO  AVAIL    COST
                                          5 (7)    8P    –1   SA/BF*     1      15(c)       5R.       725¥

Concealable Quick-Draw Holster (Conceal -1, -1 to quick draw threshold )
20 Clips
APDS Ammo: 150
Gel Ammo: 150
Silencer

Normal Clothes (jeans/shirt) x3

Alias: Rachel Hernandez

Fake SIN (UCAS) Rating (5)
Fake Pistol License (5)
Fake Carry & Conceal (5)
Fake Cyber/Bio Ware License. (5)
Fake Magic License. (5)

Life Style: Low

Nuyen: 875

Appearance:

Height: 4'1"
Weight: 58 lbs
Eyes: Gray with Blue Flecks
Hair: Red  Blonde Highlights

Sharla is tan complected as a Spanish American, she appears to be human with waist length hair. She is intelligent and very observant. She has the look of being harsh and hardened by life, and carries herself with a quiet but deadly attitude. But she has a very sarcastic sense of humor when it shows itself. She dresses in combat oriented gear normally but can dress in office attire or a high end socially accepted dress. This all varies on her need for the run or the occasion. She looks like a very small athletic built human but you can see dwarven highlights in her face.

Origin:

Sharla was about 5 years old when she thinks back, she remembers following Tommy as they ran from the foster home after the bad man took turns beating her and tommy. They had been on the street for 3 days when the bright lights came and took them, she remembers the pain, all that pain it went on and on never stopping. When she woke up it was only for a minute or two, enough to see herself and 5 others strapped to beds and their blood being drained.
     Then that unforgettable day came, 6 strangers showed up with guns barking orders pulling all of them along dragging them out it was so bright and so much sound it was overwhelming. As they were loading all of them into a strange plane the pain came back even stronger. Before she passed out she heard them say Frag she's hit.
     Sharla woke in a bright all white room, it hurt but not as much and it was a different pain, she tried to stand but she was strapped to the bed, just as she started to panic a lady walked in please remain calm. You are strapped down so you don't hurt yourself before I can explain. I am Dr Roans and I was hired to get you back to health. You were kidnapped a while ago along with some others being the basis of some genetic experiments as to why you have more of your human appearance and not dwarven, your blood was used to see what was so different in your DNA. While you were being extracted by a team to be transferred to another corporation you were killed. So the report says but a friend named Fran took a great interest in you since she was not able to have children and you being very special and all alone in the world.
     So she hired me to do your replacement work and rehab. You had to have cyber and bio ware augments to survive and be able to function but the best we could access was used to create the smallest impact to your magical ability. I know this is all overwhelming but please stay calm. The doctor released her straps and introduced Aunt Fran. As Sharla listened she realized this lady wanted to adopt her, to give her a family, give her a life.
     So Sharla worked through her rehab learned how to do everything over again, but also she started school work and magical study. Learning everything she could about practice and theory. As she was growing up she learned Aunt Fran was a fixer she set up contracts for people that weren't always the nicest people. But there were nice people too. She met Lena who taught her how to handle guns and herself in combat. What armor was best and how to judge items of value. Bethany taught her about reagents, foci and how to make them and use them in out of school applications. As college started she learned a lot about forensics mundane and magical, she actually helped Aunt Fran a few times finding evidence of runs going bad most would never see. She expanded her knowledge she learned everything she could on theory and application of forensics and magic, she also went outside of school to learn magical combat from Bethany. So after graduation Sharla did some work for Aunt Fran and also some private consulting and now she is trying to decide where she will go next.
« Last Edit: <08-19-14/1008:06> by lShadel »

Scawire

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <08-08-14/2128:45> »
@ lShadel
You can only have Magic Rating x 2 in spells, your magic is 6 so you can only have 12 spells not 14. (Page 98 main books.)

Also careful having more focus rating then your magic rating active at one time you can get a focus addiction for doing that. You can but addictions are not always good to have.

When it comes to Contacts in 5th edition the max you can have for Connection and loyalty total is 7 (ie 6 connection and 1 loyalty) (page 98 main book)

Sorry about that, remember be careful with the new beta Chummer it is still in beta testing stage right now.
Again sorry and welcome to the shadows.
« Last Edit: <08-08-14/2130:19> by Scawire »

Scawire

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <08-08-14/2256:12> »
I like my new street level guy, put me down for street level, I'll add what magical help to the street runner as best I can, well ok almost as best I can, got to keep something hidden.... for now.  8)

Well all you runners I hope you all have great fun in this new crazy big group.

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <08-08-14/2308:07> »
For me, most of the time I develop very bare basic character ideas, and then begin developing them from there and adding more.
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <08-09-14/0125:06> »
I volunteer as tribute... i mean street level.

I have a cool concept in mind for a street level runner. Are we using the street level rules on page (64) or the street scum rules from page (354) ?
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #23 on: <08-09-14/0158:16> »
@lShadel You also have a force 3 sustaining focus sustaining a force 4 spell which doesn't work unless your specifying use of reagents. Which is a dangerous game to play.
Increase Reflexes the spell doesn't raise reaction just initiative.
Increased Attribute (Willpower) the force of the Spell would be 9 not 5 ("The Force of the spell must equal or exceed
the (augmented) value of the Attribute being affected." Core page 288) Again would require reagents.
I'm going to assume that you are purposing this a prime runner-
A fairlight calibine w/ Hot sim comes to 18F availability. (Prime is 15 as I understand it.)
You have -43 karma worth of positive qualities and +3 karma worth of negative qualities, under prime runner your 8 over.
You have 16 karma spent in bonding, and something like atleast 30 karma worth of spells, depending on what magic priority you took, and of course your exceeding max starting spells by magic.
Without priority and karma break down of that character I can't tell you exactly how over spent you are but your over spent.
I'd suggest taking this to the critique boards, I'm sure they can get you straightened out.

@ravensoracle- Where is the aged quality from? Your math looks good to me, but I must be missing a source.
« Last Edit: <08-09-14/0231:41> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Ravensoracle

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <08-09-14/0324:37> »
@ Marcus Aged comes from the bullets & bandages supplement. If anyone wants to check my math I will send them a copy of my chummer file.
Speech
Thoughts
Comm/Text
Subvocal

reyjinn

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <08-09-14/0533:02> »
Edit for char concept:

Handle: Yohan "Beast" Cabella

Rank (street, std, prime): Street

Metatype, sex, age: Ork, M, 21

Role: Smashing people (and other things) in the face / Face (-ish, no negotiation skill but ~10d6 for con, etiquette, intimidation)

Brief concept/history (One or two paragraphs):
Born and raised on the Streets of New Orleans, Yohan grew up tough and mean. Then he awoke at 14 and grew tougher still. Growing up he ran errands for [Street Gang Name] controlled by Kohana Black-Eagle, saving up enough to buy himself a killer nice bike which is his pride and joy. Kohana's gang is honestly more of a neighborhood watch patrol so there was never any pressure on Yohan to join up per se, the two remain close friends to this day and Yohan still lives in the swatch of the Barrens that [Street Gang] are struggling to keep semi free from the kind of drek that goes on elsewhere with Yohan lending a helping hand where and when he can.

Not really feeling the future prospects of either joining the gang or getting a job at one of their legit operations Yohan has been looking towards getting into running the shadows, soliciting help from his friends Kohana and Slash in finding a potential half-decent fixer.

Appearance: Tall, chiseled muscles, this is a guy you want to take home, only not to meet your mother. Throughout the character creation I had Jax Teller from Sons of Anarchy in mind (only more orky). Long sandy blonde hair worn back and contained by a bandana, bright and alert hazel eyes.

Expected Frequency of posting: Daily (with exceptions for when life decides to get funny, but can always get on phone to check in and give a heads up for those times)

Contacts:
Kohana Black-Eagle, 46 y/o Human, Sioux origins
Gang leader, C2
Former Sioux special forces, teaches his gang and trusted allies the Wildcat fighting style. Followed his girlfriend (later wife) to New Orleans, started up his gang to protect his neighborhood, expanded to create a bit of a safe environment. No saints though, they deal in Cram, Zen, Bliss, protection, book making, etc. Also have several legit operations (for money laundering obviously) such as a Vehicle Mechanic Shop, Bar, Bowling alley.

Slash (stage name), 24 y/o Ork, New Orleans native
Trog Rock Singer, C3
Singer in a prominent local Trog Rock band. A man with connections in the sprawl, if there is an event going down he's invited or can get invited quickly.

Jackson Pollux, 26 y/o Human, New Orleans native
Lone Star Sergeant, C2
Local boy gone legit. Everyone has heard these sad stories of good kids from the hood going over to the corp side for SINs, comfort and general brainwashing. Luckily LocalBoy still remembers where he came from.

Chummer 5 file for perusing if so desired
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0ILaqU65Tt7SnpPRDBKUFFuMW8/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: <08-22-14/1728:20> by reyjinn »
[Time&Date|Place|Area] "Dialogue" "Non-English" >>Matrix/"Commlink" "Astral" <<Text&email>> Internal&"subvocal"

Blazrath

• Chummer
  • I've yet to see a regular sword being hacked into.
« Reply #26 on: <08-09-14/0537:45> »
Priorities:
A: Attributes
B: Skills
C: Magic
D: Resources
E: Metatype(Human)

Dylan O'Sullivan 'Sinbad'
METATYPE: Human
B 4/6, A 6/6, R 6/7, S 4/6, W 3/6, L 2/6, I 4/6, C 4/6, ESS 6, EDG 3, M 4

Condition Monitor (P/S):
Armor: 8(10)
Limits: Physical 6, Mental 4, Social 6
Physical Initiative: 10+2d6

Active Skills: Athletics 5, Con 4, Blades 6(+2 Swords), Pistols 3, Survival 3, Navigation 4, Sneaking 4, Perception 4, Intimidation 4, Pilot Watercraft 3

Knowledge Skills: Caribbean Smuggling Routes 3, Mafia 3, Underworld 3
Languages: Sperethiel N, English N, Gaelic 3

Metatype Abilities: None
Positive Qualities: Bilingual, Mentor Spirit(Stag), One Trick Pony
Negative Qualities: Addicted to Foci(Mild), Code of Honor(Articles of Agreement), Distinctive Style(Black Woad Sleeve Tattoos)

Martial Art Styles:
. . La Verdadera Destreza
. . . . Riposte, Yielding Force(Riposte)
. . One Trick Pony
. . . . Barbed Hooks 5,500

Ki Powers:
. . Astral Perception 1.0
. . Critical Strike(Blades) .5
. . Enhanced Accuracy(Blades) .25
. . Improved Reflexes 1.5
. . Improved Sense(Direction Sense) .25
. . Quick Draw(If allowed) .5

Focus
. . Qi Focus(Woad Tattoos): 4 (12000)
. . . . Mystic Armor 2

Gear:
. . Contacts 3
. . . . Low Light Vision, Flare Compensation, Image Link (1375)
. . Auctioneer Business Clothes (1500)
. . Hermes Ikon (3000)
. . Subvocal Mic (50)

Weapons:
. . Cutlass (Acc 7, Reach 1, [Str+2]P, -3 AP) 1000
. . . Punching(Acc Physical, [Str+1])
. . Remington Roomsweeper(Acc 4[5], 7P/9P, -1/+4, 8m) 250
. . . . 24 Regular, 14 Flechette, Laser Sight 1645

Vehicles:
. . GMC Outrider (Handle 4, Speed 3, Accel 2, Body 12, Armor 6, Pilot 2, Sensor 2, Seats 8) 21500

Contacts:
. . Kenta Matsumoto: Connection 3, Loyalty 1 (Shinto Shaman Talismonger / Qi Tattoo Artist)
. . Alexandre Telemasco: Connection 4, Loyalty 2 (Romero Fixer/Lawyer)
. . Sandy Douglas: Connection 1, Loyalty 3 (Dockmaster)

Resources:
. . Fake Sin 3
. . Fake Gun License 4
. . Fake Magic License 4
. . Lifestyle Low 2 Months

Starting Money: 480 + 3d6 + 60
Karma Expenditures: -12 Martial Arts, -17 Positive, +24 Negative, -7 Resources, -1 Knowledge: Louisiana Waterways 0-1, -1 Language: Spanish 0-1, -2 Armorer 0-1, -1 Contacts 1, -8 Attune Foci
Leftover Karma: 0

Articles of Agreement, otherwise known as Charter Party or Pirate Code. Laws in place:
Pirate Code of Conduct 1 - Equal Voting Rights
Pirate Code of Conduct 2 - Fair share of the loot and pirates punishments for those who cheated
Pirate Code of Conduct 3 - Gambling was banned
Pirate Code of Conduct 4 - No lights at night - a pirates sleep should not be disturbed
Pirate Code of Conduct 5 - Each pirate was responsible for the upkeep of their weapons
Pirate Code of Conduct 6 - No Boys or women allowed on board
Pirate Code of Conduct 7 - Penalty for Desertion
Pirate Code of Conduct 8 - No fighting between pirates on board the ship
Pirate Code of Conduct 9 - A Pension according to the severity of wounds
Pirate Code of Conduct 10 - Shares of the loot or booty
Pirate Code of Conduct 11 - Musicians available to play when required

Just thought I'd try to make a new code of conduct.

Background:
Dylan was born and raised in Munster, Tir na nOg, a human in Elven nation in a family that had some prominence in the nation. While not a part of the Danaan Mor proper or even a direct blood relative to the representatives, his family still had to have a status to keep up and were more proud to have Elves than Humans born to them. While not the first child and already having Elvish children, the family attention-span for him was slim to none, so hanging out at the docks was the best way to pass time and got him friendly with the sailors. Unfortunately, this lead him down the route of first trying to be a legitimate sailor, then jumping ship in the Caribbean for less legitimate jobs and eventually finding himself part of the crew on The Vengeful Drake, a repurposed research vessel working the Caribbean and rivers heading up into Mainland Confederate States of America for pirating and smuggling routes. Until the main ship was sunk, Dylan had something decent going on with getting a small cut as muscle for different jobs and operating the small skiffs, either for trades or helping Runners.

Currently after the sinking of his captain's pirate ship, he is in New Orleans resting his bones a little with his new ship where he knows he is safe. Sandy may of not liked the lifestyle, but her brother was on the ship when it went down and she tries to make sure he doesn't go down to Davy Jones Locker like her brother. She inherited one of the major docks from her family that tends to have good security due to her standing with the local crime lord, paying protection money to make sure nothing is fire-bombed. Its also a good spot for smugglers due to the lack of city police to come and bust everything, but she doesn't like Dylan to do it. Which is why she tries to throw him legitimate jobs, but they don't really help when the people stiff him on the bill. She's an attractive elf in her mid twenties that likes to worry about people she got close to.

With his job as a smuggler and transporter, you have to deal with the mafia of the city or find yourself wearing a new pair of cement shoes. So he got in good with one of his contacts, but its always business and Alexandre always wants his cut to send back. He is a part of the Romero family, the Creole Mafia homegrown in New Orleans, under the Polish Mafia. On occasion Alexandre has been his legal council for getting him out of trouble as he knows people.

Kenta is his go to person for tattoos, even if its only for shinto usually. With enough of a contribution to the temple, he/she will look the other way and do other styles that not in their culture, but still imbue with power. They do a good job and don't mess up on the line work.

I can play this for standard or make something else.
« Last Edit: <08-10-14/0206:24> by Blazrath »
Talking Aloud Thoughts Matrix Astral E-Mails/"Sub-Vocal"

Scawire

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <08-09-14/1212:16> »
@ Blazarth
If you are using my talismonger / Qi tattoo artist you might have to keep his Connection rating at 3 since that is still 3 for you or me. Just FYI.

Again have fun in the crazy brain eatting Zombie streets of New Orleans everyone.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <08-09-14/1409:29> »
I volunteer as tribute... i mean street level.

I have a cool concept in mind for a street level runner. Are we using the street level rules on page (64) or the street scum rules from page (354) ?
I second that question, if we're doing Street level don't be surprised if we end up with an all-awakened crew.

page 64.

and as for the all awakened thing, yes that IS more viable as per the numbers at street level, but is that appropriate to the theme and setting? The appeal i think of the street game is that you start off FAR less than optimized and (at least in the way this game is theorized) have plenty of time to watch the character grow into more advanced version of itself. Starting everyone off optimized and min/maxxed, while it can work and even be NECESSARY at std and prime runner levels, i feel like can actually cheapen and fuck up the street level. Just my personal opinion, y'know?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <08-09-14/1413:17> »
Also, just so yall know, there is NO RUSH on this. Over in GM world, we're kicking around phrases like "X weeks to develop the setting" and things like that so don't get too antsy on this, y'know? Take some time, and make yourself a character who's really deep and three dimentional. Develop their contacts, history. How do they know the people they know? Family? Ex lovers? former employers? shit like that. You're gonna be playin this one for a minute. Make good and damn sure ya like em. Ya got time...
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english