NEWS

Recruiting for massive multi-team 5th ed PbP (Need 1 Gm(maybe) and 4 runners)

• 173 Replies

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <07-30-14/1855:49> »
I second the need for universal house rules; good call, Horsemen.

As for city, I'd propose somewhere well known so we all have the source material to work off of. Seattle is a tried and tested mainstay, as is Denver and Manhattan. Either of these would work as far as I'm concerned.

I'd be loathe to have teams go up against each other, to be honest, but I'd like for teams to see the effects of the actions of other teams. So, while two teams might go to the same building, maybe they're not there at the same time or if they are, maybe they are at different floors. Or, maybe one team is sent in to clean up after another team that just blew up a room, or something like that.

Kinda like Snatch or Lock Stock and Two smoking barrels?
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Blazrath

• Chummer
  • I've yet to see a regular sword being hacked into.
« Reply #16 on: <07-30-14/1934:05> »
Yeah, that would be interesting. I still think teams should be going against each other when the circumstances make sense. I mean in all honesty, we may be friendly, but friendship and feelings will get you a knife in the gut or a bullet in the head. If you are lucky.

All kidding aside, there should be competition. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Guns would be a good example when they are in the same area, but not the same target. But there may be times when they do go for the same thing or on opposite sides. Like what happens if one groups is friends with the Yakuza and the other group pisses them off royally?
Talking Aloud Thoughts Matrix Astral E-Mails/"Sub-Vocal"

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <07-30-14/1954:09> »
Sounds cool.

Although once you get into PvP the typical time-wasting activities of planning and looking up that obscure rule for 10 minutes will have to be kept at a minimum.

I do have a plan for a PvP campaign, but that will not happen for a couple weeks since I will be out of town.
SpeechThought Matrix/E-mail/Texting

Horsemen

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <07-30-14/2219:08> »
I would also be against having actual PvP combat.  Individual tensions that blow up in a fist fight or verbal sparring is one thing.  Actively pitting characters against each other usually ends poorly.

Now possibly having one team cause complications for another due to their actions that may be a possibility.

As for city settings Seattle is definitely the most well-known and accessible.

Depending on when it is set Denver could well be a major mess though that in itself could be interesting.

Manhattan, like any other Corporate Enclave, requires a certain mind set and definite careful deliberation given that Big Brother is always watching so that could cause the game to slow down in any planning stages though this can mostly be mitigated with certain purchases of gear and skills.

Neo-Tokyo I've always had a fondness for but it suffers from the same issues as Manhattan.  in some ways even more.so if most of the PCs are gaijin.

While I am open to any city, I think it needs to be one with a decent structure as Feral Cities create an entirely different dynamic.

I think London and Hong Kong have definite potential and a little more freedom as I suspect they will remain one-offs so to speak.  However, we may want to consider stepping away from the familiar and look at one of the cities with not as much detail like Montreal or Bangkok.  While it requires more initial work by all GMs, it gives us true freedom for real and hard consequences for failure in some runs.

Though admittedly this may be my own focus as I like to try to keep canon intact.   :P ::)
Agent #191 Catalyst Demo Team

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <07-30-14/2240:30> »
Lets play in Vatican city!
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #20 on: <07-30-14/2255:45> »
As for PvP, i'd very much like for there to be some non-lethal sorta sum or other at some point. It'd be cool if some of the runners from the different teams knew eachother, so that when they get sent into situations against the others that would usually result in shooting, they REALLY try hard not to.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Blazrath

• Chummer
  • I've yet to see a regular sword being hacked into.
« Reply #21 on: <07-30-14/2331:05> »
I'd like to voice my opinions on a couple of cities.

Chicago: Major city now, feral city then. From what I have gathered about the city, its overgrown with a jungle like theme going on. It would be interesting to see a 'native' vs. outsider take on the city where we may be trying to take back the city while others may like it.

New Orleans: For some reason, my mind keeps coming back to this city. Its got smugglers, pirates, military presence, voodoo, christianity, blood magic, regular magic and plenty of trips to the Carribean. We can get several different types of groups going on, like some that focus on smuggling, others on protection details and so on and so forth. It be fun to add a little bit of cajun to this.

Dublin: I don't know much on how Ireland fairs in the series, but what I gather the elves took over London and a friend told me he thinks they are under English rule now. So we get the story straight and have ourselves some fun either making a newly independent Ireland, keeping it free from English control or trying to get in under English control.

Moscow: Wanna be a Ruskie?

Anchorage: At the edge of the world, there are little to no laws and lot of sites where research are done. Plenty of treasure to plunder, if you can survive the environment, the natural wildlife and the severely deadly metas.

Then an idea I have toyed around with for a while and could be of some use here, I've thought about getting a game together with some friends where the starting epilogue showcases the top ten becoming the top nine. Essentially one of the top ten stuck out its neck to far and got its head cut off. The Players would then be working in most cases companies trying to get that coveted 10th spot or be hired to make sure the nine stay just nine. With this, each GM could get a couple of companies built on some ideals and let the players choose which they wish to help bring up. For that, the st's could choose separate cities to play in and build the companies that fit in the areas. But thats an idea that you guys can take or leave.
Talking Aloud Thoughts Matrix Astral E-Mails/"Sub-Vocal"

Horsemen

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <07-30-14/2349:26> »
Dublin is the capital of Tír na nÓg.   It had its own source book a few editions back and a module.  All of it nasty but fun.  Getting there now as per the entry in the Sixth World Almanac is interesting to put it mildly.   ???

Chicago is the focus for this season of Missions as attempts are underway to reclaim the city.  Interesting set of modules to date but still predominantly feral.

I'm also willing to just grab an undeveloped city.  However I know how much work that takes to build already and why I think Martin originally suggested known cities and why I stuck to published cities with at least twenty plus pages.  It gives a baseline from which we can all begin.

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <07-31-14/0739:39> »
New Orleans would be a fun place in SR. A major commercial shipping inlet for North America and is legendary for bad Juju.

It's a hub for the zombie trade...

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #24 on: <07-31-14/1744:19> »
When I made the comment, tbh, I wasn't imagining everyone would be limited to one city.

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <07-31-14/1809:21> »
Well hell, I'm in; scheduling aside.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #26 on: <07-31-14/2304:27> »
This concept is relevant to my interests, never been part of a game that had multiple teams acting in the same area before. Runner me please.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Horsemen

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #27 on: <08-01-14/0602:14> »
@Novocrane That has not been set in stone.  Though it was one of many things that would need to be discussed and decided upon.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #28 on: <08-01-14/1642:07> »
New Orleans sounds like lots of fun.
We could meet Mr or Mrs. Johnson over gumbo at the Big Easy.
Awesome chase scene during Mardi gras?
Crazy Hi-jinks in Carib League?
Finally an excuse to use the Ship and Scuba-diving rules?
A run up the ol'Big Black, on a paddle boat?
Stop the influx of Magically awakened plants coming in from the Amazon?

Somewhere else could fun as well.
« Last Edit: <08-01-14/2053:59> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Lusis

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <08-01-14/1915:17> »
New Orleans sounds like lots of fun.
We could meet Mr or Mrs. Johnson over gumbo at the Big Easy.
Awesome chase scene during Mardi gras?
Crazy Hi-jinks in Carib League?
Finally an excuse to the Ship and Scuba-diving rules?
A run up the ol'Big Black, on a paddle boat?
Stop the influx of Magically awakened plants coming in from the Amazon?

Somewhere else could fun as well.

Don't forget crazy-ass swamp people and their hoodoo.