NEWS

New GM looking for runners for PbP [5E]

• 116 Replies

kalarin

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <04-28-14/0708:39> »
I was thinking of a young, idealistic musician, looking for ways to stick it to the man and make a decent living for himself.
Hadn't really thought of what role he'd fill, but i haven't made the character yet, so i could make him fill any role, really.
nevermind. i've started making him and he's an ork face.

This sounds like it could be a fun idea :) Solo musician? Part of a band? So you have any experience with SR5?

I'd jump in as well.  I've been kicking around an idea for a mage myself that is made for black trench-coat that I should be able to make easily enough.  A dwarf who's mother was a student of literature.  She would often read her favorite book to him, Alice in Wonderland.  Regularly teased by children more interested in physical pursuits (and much larger!), he grew to idolize the Cheshire Cat and how easily he could vex anybody and escape danger.  It developed into a bit of an obsession and he went on to adopt the persona as his cover in the shadows - Physical Mask spell to make himself look like ol' Cheshire, primarily moving through a sustained Levitate spell on himself (Force 6 levitate moves at over 6 feet per second), and an almost short-sighted focus on illusion and manipulation magic.

I do like the concept, do you think you can make it work at street-level? Sounds like a good concept for B&E as well.

For street level I'd love to play a mundane gunbunny, probably human and not with any cyber (yet at least). Would need to give some thought as to whether he is an aspiring Street Sam or more of a merc.
Don't have much experience myself of shadowrun but that just means the gm can handwave some rules without protest ;)

Always nice to at least have a little muscle! Could I get a little more info on the concept?
Thought
Speech   
Astral   
Matrix

gazer

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <04-28-14/0915:20> »
the concept of my  B&E is he is what is left of a a 3 man team of brothers. he is not the survivor but literally what is left. there last run was not the milk run they were expecting the old lad was not willing to give up it's secrets without a fight and when it won it went about taking them apart and putting then back together more "efficiently". thankfully he escaped. the brothers managed to get a few things ready before a new persona took over, it believing it is there 4 bother as all its memory are a blurred mix of all three that got mixed up and blamed for a school shooting (he and none of the brothers have ever been there he just saw it in the news and added it to his memory) before getting hit by a truck, thus explaining his scars and leaky memory and hallucinations when he forgets to take his meds.

i am thinking of making him an aspected mage. his street name is Ragdoll or Florida man   

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #17 on: <04-28-14/0951:09> »
I was thinking of a young, idealistic musician, looking for ways to stick it to the man and make a decent living for himself.
Hadn't really thought of what role he'd fill, but i haven't made the character yet, so i could make him fill any role, really.
nevermind. i've started making him and he's an ork face.

This sounds like it could be a fun idea :) Solo musician? Part of a band? So you have any experience with SR5?

Whether he's in a band or looking for one depends on how many points i end up blowing on contacts.
I have a decent amount of exp with 5th ed, but not near as much as some people on this board.
I have been roleplaying for about 27 years now, if that helps.

i fell asleep at the computer last night and didnt finish him. im at work now, but ill finish him up when i get home.
« Last Edit: <04-28-14/1142:02> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #18 on: <04-28-14/1233:56> »
I'll have my mage posted later tonight ^^
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

Tenlaar

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <04-28-14/1314:54> »
I do like the concept, do you think you can make it work at street-level? Sounds like a good concept for B&E as well.

Shouldn't be a problem making him street-level at all.  Would most likely end up at E resources anyway, so it's just less karma to spend.  Really I'd just have to start with Focused Concentration for levitate and one low Force sustaining foci for physical mask, and I'd just deal with -2 dice if I really need to have invisibility going AND cast another spell all at the same time.

And yeah, you're right on the B&E aspect.  Since, as far as I'm aware, levitating around makes no sound, I picture him doing a lot of stuff like using Trid Phantasm to make a group of gangers go investigate something on the left while he floats in from the right with invisibility on.  Floating through a building along the ceiling.  And one of my personal favorite mental images, starting fights between enemies with Magic Fingers.  "If you flick my ear ONE MORE FRAGGIN' TIME!"

When are you thinking about getting started?  I tend to obsess over details during character creation.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/comm
Astral

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <04-28-14/1329:11> »
I'm really tempted to make this dude rank d adept, JUST so i can astrally percieve. I really hate having an entire dimention of the gameworld locked off to me, y'know?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tenlaar

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <04-28-14/1346:50> »
Why stop at astrally perceiving?  It sounds like your guy would fit perfectly with some ranks of Voice Control, and Kinesics certainly wouldn't hurt.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/comm
Astral

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <04-28-14/1501:11> »
Why stop at astrally perceiving?  It sounds like your guy would fit perfectly with some ranks of Voice Control, and Kinesics certainly wouldn't hurt.
well, with magic d, ill have 2 points to spend. 1 on astral perception. so that would leave me another point to play with...
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tenlaar

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <04-28-14/1506:08> »
I'd probably go with two ranks of Voice Control, then.  If you get the Impersonation skill you can use it to fool people or voice recognition, and it would add 2 to your social limit.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/comm
Astral

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <04-28-14/1513:13> »
I'd probably go with two ranks of Voice Control, then.  If you get the Impersonation skill you can use it to fool people or voice recognition, and it would add 2 to your social limit.
i really hadnt thought of this guy as frontman material, but the upped social limit is HUGE. maybe i should re-jiggle this guy around some before i finalize anything.
im kinda glad i fell asleep at the computer. this is working out better.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Celtibero

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <04-28-14/1537:57> »
am i too late to jump in?

character sheet and back story for evaluation:

Name - Caroline "kitty" Smith

Brief Background
From foster home to foster home to foster family, the list would probably go on, Caroline was (is) the epitome of a trouble child, some of the things she saw in foster care where enough to scare any person, although she outwardly tries to maintain a happy go lucky demeanour deep inside she hates with all her strength the abuse some people in the foster care "industry" (her words not mine) inflict upon children, they are just another pay-check, another number on the credstick to the foster families, they don't want to adopt you and make you part of the family, youre just one more asset to pay for the BTL's, drugs or whatever tickles their fancy. and there are even those scarier cases, of children simsense exploitations, she was lucky for not having encountered those.

She would probably be described as the scrawny smart kid, introspective, always looking for a (easy) way out, well things don't usually work out very well for kids on foster care, running away was almost a trademark of her, stealing what she could grab and wasn't nailed to the ground was another, getting away was not her best skill though, the services eventually caught up with her and the justice department did the same as soon as she turned forteen, B&E is considered a felony...so... graduation to juvie, one year. Juvie is to crime as High school is to life, there they do not reform you, Caroline really had issues with personal property boundaries, she did have a fair sense of conduct has she tried never to hurt anyone, but as far as property goes "Finders keepers!! hehe!", so, what do they teach in juvenile detention? they get you contacts, they provide a way for you to get more acquaintances in the street, they "teach" you how to disassemble a commlink, matrix theory is also a good subject, there are other "classes" , like fencing, mugging, con artistry, so its a junior high of crime pretty much.

There she met Amanda, she used to run with the Cereal Killers, she taught Caroline much of what she knew matrix wise, she was also two years older, in fact more experienced than Caroline. Eventually Amanda nearly got turned into a vegetable, no matter how much experience you have there is always someone out there that is a bigger fish than you are, mix with a good dose of overconfidence and the result in her case was too much damage to her brain, sometimes spiders spin their web and GOD just looks the other way, by the way, the pun was intended chummer.

So its true, Caroline did run with the Cereal Killers for a couple of years, when she got out of juvie she was sent to another foster family, its was the same drek all over, there isnt much to complain with the social workers that only want to dump you and there is nothing much to argue with the family that is all warmth and smiles until the social workers turn their backs, then its fastforward to half rations, take care of the other brats and dingy room shared with 5 other kids who have to make happy faces when the social workers come to have a visit. YouŽll be amazed what a bomb threat and a few gas home-made bombs can do, contact a chummer that knows his way around detonators (cheap thing to find really), place the thing when no one notices, make a couple calls, wait for people to leave, trigger it off, wait for the pawns to arrive (they never do) and for the fire dpt to come and put the flames, act all teary and innocent and bam! scot free and one more lousy couple out of business, what goes around comes around they say, and fyi no one got hurt luckily, even the cats and dogs where out of trouble (but they are usually wiser than us tbh).

So... where was i? yes Caroline running with Cereal Killers, she already knew her way around a commlink, she could disassemble one with you eyes closed, her first one (a nasty looking Meta Link that she attached a Hello kiity sticker on its back, she still has it somewhere around her backpack) got it coming more than a couple hundred times, so what next? pull a couple low time jobs and get yourself a datajack and a deck, even if its a crappy one . Erika MCD-1 is not much to go by, and at second hand rates it still does not cost you much, maybe that was the reason why Amanda loaned it to her, on the condition "if you break it you pay it". the Jack was even cheaper, although Caroline went for a superior job in a legitimate clinic, sweet piece of hardware, she still keeps it, even though she has an implanted Hermes chariot in her skull, she says that the bronze chrome jack looks good on her. Yes she was a natural, she had always been a smart kid to start with, she had always had a knack for assembling and disassembling stuff, so it was either go decking or go mechanic, she did go decking but that you already knew.

I was told to tell a brief story... but hey listen up chummer, youŽre certainly not wondering how she got her nickname, that's pretty obvious taking the Hello Kitty fixation she has, what you're probably wondering is why she carries that scruffy backpack wherever she goes, am i right? it was there (or so the social workers swear) when she got given to adoption, it did contain a letter and a bottle of formula, nothing much, when she got thrown around from family to family it went with her, she got into fights with other kids over it, it got lost twice and she always went to great lengths to recover it, she says its her lucky charm, my guess its the one piece of the family she never knew that she cannot part with, you make your own judgement mate.

so yeah, she goes all giggly and happy go lucky, she does brave it, but i guess you never had to ear the kids crying themselves to sleep, she did and she was one of the ones doing the crying. But pretty much things where all nice and spiffy with the Cereal Killers, she got a scooter which she had custom painted pink with HK motifs, she had the name painted on it キティ・ホワイト(Kiti howaito), the only reason (actually there where two) she had to cry about on that period was when Amanda got way over her head and nearly got turned (and that nearly was too close and she never came around) into a human cucumber. She still visits her though and does try to help her in any way she can, being one of the few persons she considers a friend.

since i have already told you this much I might as well tell you the whole story, the other reason she had to cry about at that time was because of Charlie, Charlie was a good looking kid, about 1 year older than she was, good looking, nice strong jaw, curly brown hair, green eyes, he really had the looks, as for the personality... well in the end he was a scum-bag in the making, but its like they say " If you love someone, you like virtually everything about him", thus i reckon she did not mind the fundamental flaws in him, not until she discovered he was two timming her with Jill, jill was also a member, and one of her friends, so what did you expect from those two kids? they got fitting over him, and guess what, he was like the king of the hill, besides cheating they still fought over who gets the spoils, the problem with smart kids is (and there are plenty of those in the Cereal Killers) is that somewhere along the line they eventually get smart over things, so lets make a long story short (shorter that is) and she did stop fighting and the guy ends up leaving the Killers. if they where friends then that just made the friendship stronger, and as they say, one thing leads to another and they eventually hit it of with each other, they actually ended together (in more than one sense if you get my drift chummer). If you think this is starting to sound like a fairy tale in the making forget about it chummer, bad things happen to good people, and Caroline is one of them.

Thats the thing that actually leads to the ton of chrome in her, you know that toddlers and soykaf dont mix right? you if dont, you should, nasty bugger with hyperactivity, believe me, the same holds true to drugs and bikes (even if they are scooters), if you put Caroline (who is already, despite her childhood demeanour, a bit hyper) on Jazz or Kamikaze, what do you get? an accident in the making. that was just what happened, the next six months where a blank, broken bones, head trauma, internal bleeding. when a scooter (where your body is actually the fender) goes against a truck, the truck usually win, and that a pretty good resume of that fight, truck 1 - Caroline 0. The doctor did what they could, she barely made it, but the prognosis was that the head damage was extensive, so they reached out where they could, they pulled a cerebral booster out of a vat and tried for her brain to kick in on it to repair the damage done, the bones had to be laced due to the multiple fractures. but some good does come out in the end as they say, when she woke up from the coma six moths later, she was told the story, in a very brief period of recovery they also learned that the tissue repaired itself apparently (or maybe the damage was not so extensive as they thought) and that the booster was in fact what it was always meant to be, an add on, so it just added to her smarts and he just became a little tougher.

But not all ends well, certain thing do come at a price, and six months is a long time in the life of a 18 year old youngster, Jill was there at her bedside when she woke up, but so was Charlie 8and that was more of a shock than the fact that she had lost six months of her life and that she had nearly bought the farm in the scooter Vs Truck fight of the century. Apparently jill choose CharlieŽs arm to cry on, and things got on from there, to make it shorter you can imagine Caroline reaction to it, if she thought it hard to trust anyone those last events just gave her reasons to support that particular feeling. She did make it up with Jill, even if it hurt inside she could not stand not being friends with her, but things would never be the same between them, Charlie was back in the Cereal Killers and Jill was riding along with him the matrix flows, so that was the end of a chapter for Caroline.

this story actually has an interlude, or maybe its a prologue to a new chapter, anyways, they say you can never get enough of a good thing, right? i say that it depends on the good thing and its consequences. From Caroline's point of view the accident did show her plenty of things, for once maybe getting implanted was not so bad after all, her new left arm was a standard issue thing, not even synthetic, but it felt as good as had always been there, her body felt stronger, maybe she did not have to depend on others so much. and talking about other was probably what triggered her leaving the Killers, Jill had betrayed her, Charlie was back inside and although they had pulled some credits to patch her up it was not in her nature to be in a debt in that kind of situation, if she was to be in debt it would be on her terms. that's where Hioshiro queues in.

Hioshiro is a familiar face in Seattle, fencer, runs a pawn shop, some say he is a front man for the Yakuza, a front on a front, eh? So Caroline goes to him, the matters in the Killers still waiting to be resolved, and to resolve them she gets in debt, not just to pay for what they polled together but to get more chrome, a way for her to hit it on her own, to get up and running, i believe that deep inside she was still that scary kid sporting a shabby backpack, always looking over her shoulder to escape those trying to take advantage of her, she fought them, weather using her will, her guts or simply by outsmarting them, but its obvious one tires of being afraid, in some way i still think she is searching for her fairy tale, and hitting it on her own was just her best or only way to continue to search for the dream, the dream of finding her family, but that path usually brings more grief, trust me, I've been there and done that, Seattle is a mean step-mother.

(pending further back story)

Distinctive features: Bleached hair, red round glasses, leather jacket, hello kitty tattoo on the right temple  dragon tattoo (on blue neon colour) on left side of the face (almost enveloping the datajack). Flowery pink dress with ruffled skirt and a  Hello Kitty battered (and i mean battered) backpack.

Metatype   D   
Attributes   B   20
Magic or Resonance   E   
Skills   C    28/2
Resources   A   450000

hair - bleached (brunette)
eyes - brown
height - 1,65

Body   2 ( 4 )
AGI   3 ( 9 ) w/ using pistols on left hand
REA   4 ( 5 )
STR   3
WIL           3
LOG   5 ( 7 )
INT           5
CHA   3
MAG   0
RES   0
EDG   5
Ess     0.58

Initiative - Physical 10 + 2d6           

Physical 6   
Mental 8   
Social 4   

Composure - 6   
Judge Intentions - 8   
Memory - 10
Lifting/Carrying - 5   
Base lifting capability - 45   
Base carrying capability - 30   

Skills
Group - Athletics - 2

Cybercombat - 4 -» 11
Electronic Warfare - 2 (4) jamming -» 9 (11)
Hacking - 5 (7) files -» 12 (14)

Computer - 5 -» 12
Hardware - 3 (2-»3 karma) -» 10
Software - 2 (2 w/ karma) -» 9

Pistols - 4 (6) tasers -» 13 (15)
Etiquette - 1 (3) gang -» 4 (6)
Perception - 2 (w/ karma) -» 7

Pilot Ground Craft - 1 -» 6

Sneaking - 1 (w/ karma) -» 4
Locksmith - 1 (w/ karma) -» 4

skills - knowledge
English   N   
Japanese - 4   

Gang identification - 3   
Matrix security protocols - 3   
Fences - 4   
20th Century trivia - 1 (3)   (Japanese)
Current Simsense movies - 1 (3)   (Japanese)

Qualities

Codeslinger
Analytical Mind
Photographic Memory

SINNer (Criminal)
Distinctive Style
Pejudiced -specific/radical -» exploitation of minor, defenceless people, women...

Karma coverted to creds - 5

Augmentations
Synthetic Full arm
+cyberlimb Enhancement Agility - 3
+Cyberlimb Customization (Agi) - 3

Commlink (delta)
Cyberdeck (alpha)

Cerebral booster Rating 2
Mnemonic enhancer Rating 2

Cybereyes Rating 2
Image link
Smartlink
Thermographic vision
Low-light vision
Vision enhancement Rating 1

Wired Reflexes rating 1 (alpha)
Enhanced articulation
Aluminum Bone Lacing
Platelet factories

Equipment
Armor jacket
Transys Avalon (commlink)
Hermes Chariot (deck)

Fake SIN (Rating 2)
Fake SIN (Rating 4)
Fake license (Rating 4) x8 (firearms; Electronic devices; drugs; Cyberware; software)
Yamaha Pulsar

Ear buds (Capacity 1-3)
 +Audio enhancement (Rating 1-3)
 +Spatial recognizer

Dodge Scoot

Ares Predator V
Concealable holster

Walther Palm Pistol
Quick-draw holster

Cyberprogram, common use x7
Cyberprogram, hacking x19
Agent (Rating 4)
Agent (Rating 3) x2
Biomonitor
Jazz x4
Kamikaze x4
Long Haul x3
Jammer, area [Rating 4]
Tag eraser
Sequencer (Rating 4)
Autopicker (Rating 6)
Maglock passkey (Rating 3)
10 Stealth Tags
10 Security Tags
10 Datachip
10 Sensor Tags

Lifestyle - Low
Dangerous Area(-20% to Life Style Rating)

Contacts
Jill - Cereal killers member
Hioshiro - Fencer, Yakuza "front"

Remaining resources - 370
« Last Edit: <04-28-14/1547:35> by Celtibero »
Thought
Speech
Matrix
Astral

Tenlaar

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <04-28-14/1538:38> »
i really hadnt thought of this guy as frontman material, but the upped social limit is HUGE. maybe i should re-jiggle this guy around some before i finalize anything.
im kinda glad i fell asleep at the computer. this is working out better.

Maybe that could be part of his "thing."  He has the voice to be the frontman, but there's something else about him that keeps people from wanting him to be front and center?  Or it could be a self-imposed thing, he has the chops but knows that too much exposure is going to hurt his career in the shadows and potentially expose him if he's linked to past close calls.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/comm
Astral

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <04-28-14/1605:37> »
Augmentations
Synthetic Full arm
+cyberlimb Enhancement Agility - 3
+Cyberlimb Customization (Agi) - 3

Commlink (delta)
Cyberdeck (alpha)

Cerebral booster Rating 2
Mnemonic enhancer Rating 2

Cybereyes Rating 2
Image link
Smartlink
Thermographic vision
Low-light vision
Vision enhancement Rating 1

Wired Reflexes rating 1 (alpha)
Enhanced articulation
Aluminum Bone Lacing
Platelet factories

Equipment
Armor jacket
Transys Avalon (commlink)
Hermes Chariot (deck)

Fake SIN (Rating 2)
Fake SIN (Rating 4)
Fake license (Rating 4) x8 (firearms; Electronic devices; drugs; Cyberware; software)
Yamaha Pulsar

Ear buds (Capacity 1-3)
 +Audio enhancement (Rating 1-3)
 +Spatial recognizer

Dodge Scoot

Ares Predator V
Concealable holster

Walther Palm Pistol
Quick-draw holster

Cyberprogram, common use x7
Cyberprogram, hacking x19
Agent (Rating 4)
Agent (Rating 3) x2
Biomonitor
Jazz x4
Kamikaze x4
Long Haul x3
Jammer, area [Rating 4]
Tag eraser
Sequencer (Rating 4)
Autopicker (Rating 6)
Maglock passkey (Rating 3)
10 Stealth Tags
10 Security Tags
10 Datachip
10 Sensor Tags

Lifestyle - Low
Dangerous Area(-20% to Life Style Rating)

Remaining resources - 370

is it just me or did you spend WAY more money than you had?
« Last Edit: <04-28-14/1613:54> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #28 on: <04-28-14/1615:28> »
Celtibero, is that a character that has been running awhile? Just asking because I'm curious about the deltaware...
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>

Celtibero

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <04-28-14/1619:48> »
That was a leftover from someone hypothetical tweaking in the excel sheet that ended in the post :) the sheet is workable (street lvl, etc etc) the background has not been grammar checked though.
Thought
Speech
Matrix
Astral