NEWS

Burst Fire Shotgun Shot

• 15 Replies

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« on: <02-09-18/1351:16> »
Lots of shotguns have burst firing capability.

Shotguns can also use shot (flechette) ammo with choke.

Are the target's dice penalties for both choke shot and burst fire stacked together?  Seems like they should since nothing appears to say they don't stack, am I missing something?   Granted, given how good armor is in the 6th World you'd just likely be wasting a lot of time vs any kind of armor, but if you had an unarmored target, can you get him to -14 dice on the dodge? :D
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-09-18/1354:12> »
Yes, they should stack just fine. A wide choke setting with burst or automatic fire is indeed very hard to dodge. Though it also has limited range, relatively low damage, and bad AP, but at least 'accuracy' is good. ;)
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-09-18/1357:35> »
Yes, they should stack just fine. A wide choke setting with burst or automatic fire is indeed very hard to dodge. Though it also has limited range, relatively low damage, and bad AP, but at least 'accuracy' is good. ;)

I'm imagining it'd be useful against a cloud of Noizquitos :D
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-09-18/1458:25> »
Have you contemplated grenades?

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-09-18/1640:56> »
Not on targets in the same room as my PC, I haven't :)

Although funny you mention that... at my SRM table I'm apparently unique in thinking that targets are denied any dodge test for AoE attacks.  So having lots of minus dice to a dodge pool could end up being superior to a -2 dice penalty that the errata has unfortunately still not corrected on pg 190.
« Last Edit: <02-09-18/1644:46> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-10-18/0529:00> »
Well, against drones, try a hacker. But yes, a low damage shotgun could help there.

legionof1

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <02-11-18/2234:01> »
Snip
Although funny you mention that... at my SRM table I'm apparently unique in thinking that targets are denied any dodge test for AoE attacks.  So having lots of minus dice to a dodge pool could end up being superior to a -2 dice penalty that the errata has unfortunately still not corrected on pg 190.

Your interpretation is 95% the truth in practice. You do get a dodge test, IF the aoe is targeting a character directly. However with it being a mere threshold 3 to target a specific location most aoe attacks just get fired near the target. Which would you rather try, flat threshold 3 or an opposed test with -2 to defender?

A quirk of the rules to be certain, and would have been much easier to condense as something like "There are no defense tests vs Aoe attacks, instead the attacker selects a aim point and must meet threshold 3 or else scatter." 

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-12-18/1322:09> »
Snip

Your interpretation is 95% the truth in practice. You do get a dodge test, IF the aoe is targeting a character directly. However with it being a mere threshold 3 to target a specific location most aoe attacks just get fired near the target. Which would you rather try, flat threshold 3 or an opposed test with -2 to defender?

A quirk of the rules to be certain, and would have been much easier to condense as something like "There are no defense tests vs Aoe attacks, instead the attacker selects a aim point and must meet threshold 3 or else scatter."

I dunno.  If one were to ignore TPTB's clarifications about intent and look only at RAW, one might argue that -2 dice to a test you don't get to make in the first place could be represented by the target rolling negative two dice.  What's a negative die tho? one where each of the defender's hits counts as a negative hit that helps the attacker? :D

legionof1

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <02-13-18/2144:23> »
oh for sure RAW is illogical nonsense in this case. Far from the only example in this edition.

There is plenty of ways you could improve/condense the language of the system in hindsight, without changing the gameplay results. 

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #9 on: <02-20-18/1056:50> »
oh for sure RAW is illogical nonsense in this case. Far from the only example in this edition.

Only *this* edition...?

-Jn-

Sterling

• Omae
  • Dragged in by the credstick
« Reply #10 on: <02-25-18/0521:25> »
Perfect for dealing with feral ghouls.
"His name is Sterling. He’s an ex-pat Brit making a living as a fixer and a hacker in Metropole. He’s a rare blend of upstanding and fun...(so) listen to his experience."
>>Data Trails, p.82

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #11 on: <02-25-18/0854:14> »
I've always found that a grenade launcher on BF or FA was a better way to deal with groups of feral ghouls. Especially in enclosed spaces. Also works well on bugs. Chunky Salsa > ITNW.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #12 on: <02-25-18/1932:46> »
I've always found that a grenade launcher on BF or FA was a better way to deal with groups of feral ghouls. Especially in enclosed spaces. Also works well on bugs. Chunky Salsa > ITNW.

If you can't find the ears you can't collect the bounty! Stop wasting my new yen!!!
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #13 on: <02-25-18/2256:20> »
If you can't find the ears you can't collect the bounty! Stop wasting my new yen!!!
If you're dealing with groups of feral ghouls or ANYTHING involving bugs, you've moved into the area where survival > bounty.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #14 on: <02-25-18/2311:33> »
Sorry
Can’t
Hear you
Over
The noise
Of my
Gun
And
The screams
Of the Dying
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?