Shadowrun Play > Gamemasters' Lounge

Lets talk about the clothes for a minute...

(1/6) > >>

prismite:
Hi all,

I've been running Shadowrun for the better part of 10 years now for (largely) the same group. Most of this time my players have been in massive disagreement about certain elements of the game-world. We've managed to keep the group together by mostly trying to ignore the creative differences in the way each player views the fluff of the game.

To be more specific, I have a player who states that all the information in the book points towards Steampunk being not only accepted but 'common' place. He goes on to say that the books all but condone looking like a 'punk' and that its normal to see things we'd find asinine. He cites that a young lady with half a shaved head and glow-in-the-dark rainbow hair on the other side would be a typical corporate asset as well as a street vendor for hot-dogs or even a school teacher.

Another player altogether believes that the iterations of 'colorfulness' mentioned in the book only relate to street life, like runners, gangers, bikers, and other non-corporate elements. He believes that corporate employees would still largely be held to the dress code that current companies run.

In fact, the argument that keeps coming up is the first player goes downtown for meets and jobs while wearing Argentum / Sleeping Tiger / Club-goers attire with ocilating colored hair, heelies and shirts showing an animated middle finger rising and feels that the book has iterated that this is the new norm. The other player feels that this draws unnecessary attention to the group.

How do you guys adjudicate something as simple as fashion in SR? I'm curious as to how to bridge the gap between their immersions without crapping on the beliefs of either individual.

Iron Serpent Prince:
That is the age old question / debate between Black Trenchcoat / Pink Mohawk.

There is no one right answer here...  It is a matter of gameplay style.

It an uptight, buttondown corporate society ("one of us!") the more flamboyant stuff would be frowned upon, for sure.  Exactly why it would thrive as well.  ;)

Just point out there are dress codes, of a sort, depending on location.  Your "punk" player will get further on the street (easier, if not eliminated, Etiquette tests), and your "corp" player will get further in corporate or "uptown" locations.

Another example of this is the Thundercloud Morgan.  (Rigger 5, page 52)  Nothing stops a player from purchasing and using one in character.  They are pretty cheap, after all.  However, at best it is a CJ (Classic Jeep) with a weapon mount on the rollbar, and at worst it is an armored dune buggy style vehicle (ala Westworld).
It might never draw a second glance in a rural town, or border town.  But downtown in a Sprawl?  It will stand out like a 50 year old man at a Billie Eilish concert...

prismite:
Hmm. This is a really good point that I had not thought of. The players are both of different play styles (Trenchcoat & Mohawk) so it only makes sense that their 'flavor' clashes as such.

Ghost Rigger:

--- Quote from: prismite on ---Another player altogether believes that the iterations of 'colorfulness' mentioned in the book only relate to street life, like runners, gangers, bikers, and other non-corporate elements. He believes that corporate employees would still largely be held to the dress code that current companies run.
--- End quote ---
And he's completely right. That said, dress code is location dependent. If you meet in a fancy restaurant, dress well. If you meet in a dive bar in the barrens, dress like gutter slime.

adzling:
I agree with Ghost Rigger.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version