NEWS

Random Thoughts Late At Night After Too Much Coke.

• 60 Replies

Crash_00

« Reply #30 on: <05-08-12/1748:46> »
Yep, that one. I don't know why, reading back through it it seems passable at best, but when I played through it it seemed all kinds of epic. Probably because the entire group was rocking the hawaiin shirts with no armor because we didn't want to die from exhaustion and we still managed to make it out alive and still breathing.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <05-08-12/1757:25> »
I can't recall if it was Paradise Lost or House of the Sun where the surfers get dermal plating because it can be sculpted to give them ripped-as-fuck perma-abs and because it helps reduce the risk of burns and, since this is the Sixth World, skin cancer.

Anyway, yes, if you want to rock and roll whiled armored you need to put Arsenal aside and crack open Augmentation if you are given more than a couple days' notice of a job in Hawai'i.
« Last Edit: <05-08-12/1800:12> by James Meiers »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #32 on: <05-08-12/1829:28> »
"They don't need to wear armor, Brah, they ARE armor!"
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Marak1972

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <05-08-12/1849:12> »
Well if your surfin in Hawaii brah you need it so the sharks etc need a dentist if they try and chomp you
no no no thats a BIG BUG
green - speech
blue - thought
Hello mon come on and letd get dis party started no

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <05-08-12/2048:19> »
You mis understand my point I am just tired of seeing some companies reprint the essact same thing in a slightly difrent way to up sales over and over again. Not that they did not have some great stuff, but simply most players now days will not catch the neslaga of it, coming in latter in the game. Once a game is out in a new format it is better to focus most of your efforts on making new, great materal than tieing up your staff in something that might be best done as a side project. Also as the time line has shifted with each edtion unless the remake of the clasic setting is a top all time seller, it is materal with a limited amount of thier audiance. (IE if only 25% of you players have the book the book only those 25% or less will buy the remade moduels. While new materal done well will have a larger possible purchas base.)

They have been making new stuff.  Really pumping it out compared to other game companies and it has been for the most part novel material not rehashes of older modules or settings.  I personally do not mind a remake of Shadowrun 2050.  It sounds neat.  Plus this means you can start a character in 2050 and see if he/she lasts until 2075.  It would be awesome to run or play in a game like that and be in the background for all of the great events of the 6th world.
That is why I spend most of my money and time shadow run compaired to the companies that do that. It is the fact they are trying to put out new stuff that is great, witch is where the focus is. Athou some times the materal seams a little short of what it can be. They could also easy publish an offical or unofficail converting guide (for all eddtions to 4th ed) so you can buy a copy of a old supplent and convert it to the ones you like yourself.

Its not that I have a problem with companies making money that is what they do. I just got tired of seeing companies change eddtions every other year and not put out anything new. To me that seams like just ripping off your custmer base instead of supporting them.

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #35 on: <05-08-12/2314:39> »
as much as i love the idea of an "easy conversion guide" for old supplements and runs, i don't see how "they" could easily make said book/pdf. it's not like you're just converting damage codes. in some cases you have to restructure(?) the run entirely. key items or skill abilities have been changed or wholesale removed from the game. dragons went from basically being gods to really big targets, grenades went from a horribly poorly implemented weapon of self destruction to something nearly functional, deckers ceased to exist (except fastjack and *maybe* bull)

and really, a side benefit of having to go thru all the old stuff is that it will help to avoid one of my pet peeves in any long running series: broad canon-incorrect statements, adjustments, rules, etc.  truly hate that. you have no idea.
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <05-08-12/2331:21> »
Well if your surfin in Hawaii brah you need it so the sharks etc need a dentist if they try and chomp you
Megaladons don't need to chew on metahumans to eat them.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #37 on: <05-09-12/0036:46> »
Megaladons don't need to chew on metahumans to eat them.
Actually, funny story...

My group was meeting a Mr. Johnson at the docks near a rented fishing vessel when he needed to get out of town for awhile.  They were seeing the crew load Depth Charges.

"What is that for?"  "Oh, my fishing.  I'm going after Megaladons."  "You're hunting for...  A dinosaur?"  "Yes, the flesh is surprisingly flaky and moist, very good."

For some reason, they didn't even try and negotiate for a better price.  Can't fathom why.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #38 on: <05-09-12/1232:06> »
I do have to admit I am lazy.  If Catalyst will do it for me I will gladly buy a remake of SR 2050 in 4th edition.  I work a full time job and I am also busy working on a second masters so I welcome them making my life a bit easier.

Marak1972

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <05-10-12/0857:04> »
megladon toothpick then  :o
no no no thats a BIG BUG
green - speech
blue - thought
Hello mon come on and letd get dis party started no

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #40 on: <05-23-12/1601:59> »

All I ask is a Megalodon with a frickin' laser beam on it's head!

Throw me a bone, people!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #41 on: <05-23-12/1757:36> »
All I ask is a Megalodon with a frickin' laser beam on it's head!

Throw me a bone, people!

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist
Oh, a challenge while fishing at last!!!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #42 on: <05-24-12/0335:51> »
AV ammo.

Man, AV ammo made the Constructs so much easier to kill—which I would assume is the in-character reason that even exists.

HERF gun :) underestimated, but effective against this kind of threats. Too bad there is only a few statistics told about the gun...

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <05-24-12/1619:39> »
I tried coke once.  Carbonation bubbles burned the hell out of my nose.  Don't know how people can get addicted to it.

Load up the super squirts boys... we got his cryptonite....

I'd like to see a conversion for Queen Euphoria. Maybe the Hawaii one too.

Funny... I just nabbed a dead tree of that oldie off the used rack at my FLGS.

But yeah... I find it pretty easty to convert the old stuff... most of it is pretty straightforward... with an exception for trying to figure out combat pools for half the street sam cyber from half-remembered tidbits... and matrix is a complete mystery to me (groups always used NPC deckers, never really had much of the rules).  Closest I came is an old used virtual realities book I picked up and some of the riggers stuff...  Even there, I'm getting reasonably proficient with the

Biggest thing for me is just the plot threads.  I'm more of a wargamer than roleplayer by nature from the battletech side of the shop.  I would play SR here and there... but I mostly knew the BT guys.  Now it's the reverse... I don't know anyone so well anymore but I'm far more interested in shadowrun than BT (which is pretty stagnant in comparison).  But I'm not as good on plot as I am at rules and keeping things balanced.

After you have plot... it's mostly simply statting out 'generic' opposition templates using the old characters as a guide.

But I sincerely hope they do a good job on the 2050 book... I miss the old setting instead of the fuzzy touchy feely mess the setting seems to have become.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #44 on: <05-24-12/1909:03> »
The setting isn't touchy feely, Falconer. Just ask your local TM, or anyone in the Ork Underground. What you have is a lull after the 2050s and 2060s being a rising tide of crazy. It started with the Universal Brotherhood and Bug City. Then you had the Arcology Shutdown. Then you had Super Tuesday, and a Dragon running for President. Then you had the First Wyrm dying, and leaving behind a will to end all wills. Then you had the Year of the Comet. Then you had the System Failure, and major changes going on because of the fallout.

Then you had a few years of relative quiet, because, frankly, for many people it was like the world had just ended, and the corps were scrambling to recover from the Crash. Horizon quietly becomes a AAA, and everything looks like it is getting back to 'normal'. Which is to say, 'overworked and underpaid, but at least I don't live in the Barrens'. Then the technomancer/AI scare happened. Then Tempo. Then the Artifacts craze. Then the Aztlan-Amazonia war. Then the very real possibility of a war between Great Dragons.

Things are ramping back up. The bugs aren't gone. The Treaty of Denver is being renegotiated. The technomancers are mobilizing. The artifacts are still out there. The vampires are getting militant. The Ork Underground is trying to become an official district of Seattle. The corps are still experimenting on people, spirits, and e-ghosts in ways that could only charitably be called unethical. And Ghostwalker just got back from his little trip through the Watergate Rift.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters