NEWS

Random Thoughts Late At Night After Too Much Coke.

• 60 Replies

Yogi

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <05-06-12/2154:06> »
I just hope that the people doing SR 2050 update some of the classic modules. Including Missing Blood, Harlequin, and all the others.

Agreed.  There was one that had two main characters in it called Punch And Judy.  Can't for the life of me remember the name of the module.   
Thoughts
Speaking
Comlink

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <05-07-12/0028:59> »
why always remake stuff why not make new stuff that is just as good and let people convert the old stuff themselfs. I hate rebuying the same stuff over and over and over again.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #17 on: <05-07-12/0043:17> »
I just hope that the people doing SR 2050 update some of the classic modules. Including Missing Blood, Harlequin, and all the others.

Agreed.  There was one that had two main characters in it called Punch And Judy.  Can't for the life of me remember the name of the module.

A Killing Glare.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #18 on: <05-07-12/0134:27> »
why always remake stuff why not make new stuff that is just as good and let people convert the old stuff themselfs. I hate rebuying the same stuff over and over and over again.
Because to convert old stuff to new, you not only have to know the current edition, but have to be well versed enough in the old edition that you can convert it. Not everyone here has been playing since the days of first edition. So a series of PDFs with conversions of old modules would be great.

Also, just because someone puts a product out, doesn't mean you have to buy it. If you don't want to ever again purchase a copy of Harlequin's Back, just because you have the old one, even if someone brings out a new version for the updated rules, then you don't have to. But some of us would like to have the option to buy such things.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

_Pax_

« Reply #19 on: <05-07-12/0258:13> »
Because to convert old stuff to new, you not only have to know the current edition, but have to be well versed enough in the old edition that you can convert it. Not everyone here has been playing since the days of first edition.
  And even some of us who have been?  Haven't kept our old copies of now-defunct editions of the game.  I honestly wouldn't be able to quickly create a 1E character to save my soul - I'd have to spend a couple hours re-familiarising myself with the rules, gear, etc.  And before that, i'd have to reacquire a copy OF the rules ...

Blue_Lion

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <05-07-12/0426:25> »
You mis understand my point I am just tired of seeing some companies reprint the essact same thing in a slightly difrent way to up sales over and over again. Not that they did not have some great stuff, but simply most players now days will not catch the neslaga of it, coming in latter in the game. Once a game is out in a new format it is better to focus most of your efforts on making new, great materal than tieing up your staff in something that might be best done as a side project. Also as the time line has shifted with each edtion unless the remake of the clasic setting is a top all time seller, it is materal with a limited amount of thier audiance. (IE if only 25% of you players have the book the book only those 25% or less will buy the remade moduels. While new materal done well will have a larger possible purchas base.)

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <05-07-12/0434:59> »
I honestly wouldn't be able to quickly create a 1E character to save my soul - I'd have to spend a couple hours re-familiarising myself with the rules, gear, etc.  And before that, i'd have to reacquire a copy OF the rules ...

Strange...I can drop a 2nd edition character wit h just the priority chart in front of me in no-time. And why wouldn't you have a
copy of the rules from back then? I still have all my shadowrun books back to 2E...

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #22 on: <05-07-12/0639:28> »
So you're tired of companies doing things that will make money?

The PDF format is perfect for something like this. The cost of production is next to nothing. Really, all you have to do is get someone to convert statblocks and rules, and maybe update artwork if you feel like it. And if you're going to do a product to introduce the "good ol' days", then you might as well put out some support material that shows why they were good. Plus, having adventures for the 2050 ruleset encourages people to buy the 2050 book.

Even better, because there are two 'lines' to put product out for, it might be a bit longer before we see fifth edition.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

_Pax_

« Reply #23 on: <05-07-12/1124:45> »
I honestly wouldn't be able to quickly create a 1E character to save my soul - I'd have to spend a couple hours re-familiarising myself with the rules, gear, etc.  And before that, i'd have to reacquire a copy OF the rules ...

Strange...I can drop a 2nd edition character wit h just the priority chart in front of me in no-time. And why wouldn't you have a
copy of the rules from back then? I still have all my shadowrun books back to 2E...
I couldn't - but then, I'm a min/maxer.  Mind you, I still build characters, not just combat machines ... but I hate waste, the expenditure of resources that didn't need to be spent in order to achieve the same, exact goal ... whether that's to make a chrome-from-head-to-toe soulless cyber-samurai, or a Noir-esque minimally augmented  detective type.

As for why I don't have a copy of the 1E, 2E, and 3E rules anymore?  Until VERY recently, I've spent my life living in small, even MINISCULE apartments.  I just haven't had the storage space to maintain archives of prior editions.  (Seriously, I've lived in 1-room studios that barely had room for a bed, a desk, and a chair ... let alone four book-cases full of every RPG book I've ever bought.)  And financially "a storage unit" wasn't an option either.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #24 on: <05-07-12/1309:39> »
Even better, because there are two 'lines' to put product out for, it might be a bit longer before we see fifth edition.
And a better chance for me to live the ol' days!!!

Also, more writing opportunities for me.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #25 on: <05-08-12/1037:39> »

But...but...in 2050 my character will only be 20 years old, and human!

Wait - that means I could play his backstory. *Glee!*

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #26 on: <05-08-12/1241:17> »
You mis understand my point I am just tired of seeing some companies reprint the essact same thing in a slightly difrent way to up sales over and over again. Not that they did not have some great stuff, but simply most players now days will not catch the neslaga of it, coming in latter in the game. Once a game is out in a new format it is better to focus most of your efforts on making new, great materal than tieing up your staff in something that might be best done as a side project. Also as the time line has shifted with each edtion unless the remake of the clasic setting is a top all time seller, it is materal with a limited amount of thier audiance. (IE if only 25% of you players have the book the book only those 25% or less will buy the remade moduels. While new materal done well will have a larger possible purchas base.)

They have been making new stuff.  Really pumping it out compared to other game companies and it has been for the most part novel material not rehashes of older modules or settings.  I personally do not mind a remake of Shadowrun 2050.  It sounds neat.  Plus this means you can start a character in 2050 and see if he/she lasts until 2075.  It would be awesome to run or play in a game like that and be in the background for all of the great events of the 6th world.

Crash_00

« Reply #27 on: <05-08-12/1332:52> »
I'd like to see a conversion for Queen Euphoria. Maybe the Hawaii one too.

redwolf

• Chummer
« Reply #28 on: <05-08-12/1654:39> »
I'd like to see a conversion for Queen Euphoria. Maybe the Hawaii one too.
house of the sun?
yes i'm red and it's not blood, and no i'm no comy i'm just red, so are you going for that pis' or going away!!!

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <05-08-12/1722:29> »
Paradise Lost.