NEWS

Newbie question - what is a program suite

• 9 Replies

Baphomet

• Newb
« on: <05-23-12/0048:06> »
I'm going to play in a SR3 game and am building a character for it (a decker).  I'm using a program the gm loaned me to build the character and have found 'program suite' listed along with the various programs.  What is/does it do?

Second question - what programs would you consider top priority for a new decker (I took $ as the top priority, so I do have some cash).

Thanks

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #1 on: <05-23-12/0245:50> »
A suit is a package deal. It should be stated in the suit what programs are included. You should be able to find that in the Main Book.
Often you get some standard programs at a discount.

For a Hacker you will probably need more advanced programs and want to by them seperately.
If you are using Unwirred you can get cheap programs by choosing the Hacked option but talk with your GM about how he will rule that one.
By the way you really should be using Unwirred for a lot of reasons if you are a hacker.

Remember to get a cool commlink to run al those programs on.

Try looking in the Archtype thread for inspiration to build a hacker.

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <05-23-12/0544:44> »
He said he's playing SR3, so Unwired won't be much use to him and he'll have a deck instead of a commlink.

I'm looking through the old SR3 core book now, and while I've found the programs (called "utilities" in SR3), I haven't found any program suites yet. Maybe they were in the Matrix book?

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #3 on: <05-23-12/0651:49> »
DOH!
My bad.

Rasmus

Baphomet

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <05-23-12/1259:26> »
The program suite doesn't list anything, just the option and the cost.  The program is NSRCG3.  I'm not sure if there is a way to get it to display the programs included.

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <05-23-12/2220:11> »
NSRCG is a program designed to keep track of the bookkeeping and number-crunching during character creation. I haven't used it a few years, but as I recall it doesn't actually include the details on the the things you're buying beyond price, because it's not supposed to substitute for having the actual sourcebooks. It's just supposed to take care of the math for you.

Unfortunately, the SR3 Matrix book is one that I never had. (My gaming group prefered to use strictly NPC deckers, as cybercombat was considered to be a game-stopping bore for everyone else at the table.) If you also don't have it available (and I'm assuming that's where the program suites are, since I can't find them in the SR3 core book), then you'll probably just have to stick with buying the programs available in the books that you do have, as it's somewhat difficult to use something in the game that you have no rules for.

Sorry. Maybe somebody else has the book in question and can help you?

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #6 on: <05-24-12/0230:17> »
I have it.
Will have to wait until after work before I can check it though.
Haven't played SR3 in 5 or 6 years, so don't remember it of the head.

Rasmus

NinthSphere

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <05-25-12/0048:50> »
I have the book, but I don't play sr3, so I don't know if this is all you need.

Page 78
Programming Suite
A character can also enhance his programming by using a software programming suite. These suites must be run on a computer, and they provide a number of programming tools such as smart editors, library packages, code optimizers, dynamic compilers, source code debuggers and other virtual assistants. Most programming suites are designed as an actual virtual environment for the character to jack into, allowing him to program by manipulating menus and icons that represent basic functions, code and features. Programming suites each have a rating, which is applied as complementary dice to the programmer’s Computer (Programming) Test. A character cannot receive more complementary dice than he has Computer (Programming) skill. Note that the memory taken up by a programming suite is considered available when determining if the computer has double the program’s memory. Note that because the programming suite is a program unto itself, it is possible for a character to program his own programming suite. A character may not program a programming suite with a rating higher than his own Computer (Programming) skill. Programming suites have a multiplier of 15. Note that programming suites may also be programmed with the self-coder option (see p. 87). The size for programming suites rated 1-10 are listed on the Programming Suite Table (p. 79). See Buying Programs. p. 94, for determining a programming suite’s cost and availability.

Page 87
PROGRAMMING SUITE OPTIONS
The following option is the only option available to programming suites.
Self-coder
Design Rating Modifier: +self-coder rating
A programming suite with this option includes a semiexpert system capable of programming on its own, without direct supervision. This option gives the suite a Computer skill equal to the self-coder rating which can be used to help write programs. Users who don’t have enough time to whip up a whole program themselves usually employ the self-coder option. When a user works with the self-coder option to program, follow the rules for programming teams (p. 80),a s if the selfcoder were on a team with the user. Because the self-coder itself is only a program option, it is less than perfect. If a self-coder-equipped suite is used to program more than half of a program (determined by programming days), the completed program will Function at a rating one lower than that for which it was programmed.

Programming Suite Table from Page 79

Rating // Size (in Mp)
1              15
2              60
3              135
4              240
5              375
6              540
7              735
8              960
9              1,215
10            1,500

Page 94
BUYING PROGRAMS
Characters can purchase any of the programs described in this book. A program’s price is determined by its rating and design size, as shown on the Program Prices Table. Option ratings do not affect these prices. All prices given represent the cost of object code and a copy of the source code. Reduce prices by 25 percent for object code- only programs. Add 10 percent to the cost if the object code is already burned onto an OCC. For agents, constructs and IC programs, double the Availability (both target number and time period).

VERIFYING SOFTWARE CONTENTS
If a character is not careful, they may purchase more than what they bargained for, especially if they’re scoring some code from an untrustworthy black marketeer or corporate lackey. The software they purchase may have some unwanted options, be infested with worms or simply not be the utility they asked for. To verify that a program is what the character thinks it is, he must analyze it. In the Matrix, this would require a successful Analyze Icon operation. Offline, a character must have a computer with enough memory to hold the program. A successful Computer (Programming) Test with a Target Number of 4 will verify the program and its size. A character can analyze a program in detail by spending a base time of 5 minutes per Mp of the program. The character makes a Computer (Programming) Test with a Target Number of 4. Extra successes can be used to learn additional information (as shown on the Verifying Programs Table) or reduce the base time. If the test succeeds, the character may repeat the test with a +2 modifier to learn additional information.

Tables from same page:

Program Prices Table
Program Rating // Price(in nuyen) // Availability // Street Index
1-3                           Size x 100             2/7 days        1
4-6                           Size x 200             4/7 days        1.5
7-9                           Size x 500             8/14 days      2
10+                          Size x 1000           16/30 days    3

Verifying Programs Table
Successes // Information Learned
1                      The nature of the program and its acutual size in Mp
2                      The program's rating
3                      A single program option
4                      The option rating
5+                   Any further options or option ratings (1 per additional success)
« Last Edit: <05-25-12/1947:25> by NinthSphere »

Baphomet

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <05-25-12/1200:03> »
Thank you!  That's perfect.  I thought it was a collection of basic programs and I was trying to figure out which ones.  So, you take program suite if you plan on building programs!  That makes sense.

Again, thank you - it was driving me nuts!

_Pax_

« Reply #9 on: <05-25-12/1307:24> »
I think part of the confusion, Baphomet, is that you keep calling it a "program suite", when that's not the right name.  It's a "programming suite".

Just like it's "running shoes", not "run shoes".