NEWS

SR6 Is IC programms

• 34 Replies

hulka

• Newb
« on: <10-15-19/0913:28> »
Is IC count like programms in the host? Becouse if Yes, I donnt have to fight with IC and only use Crash Program.
Crash Program
(illegal) Cracking + Logic vs. Data Processing + Device Rating (Major)
Admin
You overload part of your target’s memory and scramble one of its running programs. You need to specify which program you’re trying to crash; you can learn what your target is running either with a Matrix Perception action or by observing the program in action. If you succeed, the program is scrambled: it ends and cannot be restarted until the device it was running on is rebooted.
I hack to Host and see Hunter with Net in his hand. I Do Percepeption Test and rocognize code of Tar Baby IC. If its program Crash it, if not fight start or run.

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-15-19/0948:40> »
Technically, IC are programs. But since Hosts are not Devices they are not bound by the letter of the rule which states that "it ends and cannot be restarted until the device it was running on is rebooted".

EDIT:
https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=29862.msg527982#msg527982
« Last Edit: <10-15-19/0950:53> by ZeroSum »

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-15-19/1151:14> »
I agree with zerosum.
I do wish that the CRB would have spelled it somewhat more out, that you cant just crash IC programs like that.
Especially since the CRB went somewhat lighter on the definitions of personas, files, devices and "other".

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-15-19/1158:23> »
IC (and Agents) make mechanical sense if you classify them as Persona Icons.  IIRC that is what they were in 5th.  I honestly don't know of the top of my head if IC were called out as Persona Icons or not in 6th CRB.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-15-19/1209:00> »
IC (and Agents) make mechanical sense if you classify them as Persona Icons.  IIRC that is what they were in 5th.  I honestly don't know of the top of my head if IC were called out as Persona Icons or not in 6th CRB.

It also used to be made explicit that Crash only works on cyberprograms, which IC are not.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <10-15-19/1235:17> »

It also used to be made explicit that Crash only works on cyberprograms, which IC are not.
Hmm, so it could actually also be used to crash skillsofts of various sorts.
Could be embarrasing if you suddenly forgot japaneese when doing "etiquette" stuff with the local yakuza.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-15-19/1236:31> »
IC is not a program, so no ... but I don't see a problem with house ruling that it work on IC if you wanted to but I would also rule that a Host can reset it as a major action instead of doing a full reboot. You could use it as a delaying tactic then at least.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <10-15-19/1252:05> »
IC is not a program, so no ... but I don't see a problem with house ruling that it work on IC if you wanted to but I would also rule that a Host can reset it as a major action instead of doing a full reboot. You could use it as a delaying tactic then at least.

Pg 185 does use "IC programs" a couple of times, which would lead to players and GMs coming to the conclusion they are "just" programs.

I can see that the "programs" section on page 184 lists normal programs. And on page 198 theres "rigger programs". I presume that by "programs" then its meant be just those programs listed on page 184... and maybe also page 198?

hulka

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <10-16-19/0423:30> »
I have once more question.
For example:
Acid
Defense: Willpower + Firewall
Acid IC is about wearing down the defenses of intruders so that the other IC can finish it off. When Acid IC hits in cybercombat, the target’s Firewall attribute is reduced by 1 per net hit, reducing the effective defenses. Lost points are restored after leaving the host, at a rate of 1 point per minute.

What pool of dice use IC? Attack Rating vs Defensive Rating is for Edges not for roll attack. If Im hecker my attacks are Data Spike and Tarpit, or i can use Crash Program, but how attack IC?

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <10-16-19/0533:18> »
What pool of dice use IC? Attack Rating vs Defensive Rating is for Edges not for roll attack. If Im hecker my attacks are Data Spike and Tarpit, or i can use Crash Program, but how attack IC?
Page 186:
IC
These are the types of IC a host may throw at unwary intruders. All IC use (Host Rating x 2) for their attack rolls, Attack Rating, and Condition Monitor, and (Data Processing x 2) + 3D6 for Initiative. Defensive rolls and effects vary by IC type.

hulka

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <10-16-19/0538:22> »
Thank You.
Its little hidden and I see it now. CRB p.186
"All IC use (Host Rating x 2) for Attack Rating, Condition Monitor, and most rolls."

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <10-16-19/0541:05> »
Quick question: do you have the PDF version of the book?

The reason I ask is because it seems this is part of the Errata. The section I quoted was from the GenCon version of the physical book. Your quote comes from the Errata:
p. 186, IC
Replace the second sentence with the following:
All IC use (Host Rating x 2) for Attack Rating, Condition Monitor, and most rolls. Their Initiative is (Data Processing x 2) + 3D6. Defensive rolls and effects vary by IC type.

hulka

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <10-16-19/1023:42> »
Yes , i bought pdf. And there is erratta implemented.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #13 on: <10-16-19/1044:06> »
They probably made "attack rolls" into "most rolls" because things like Matrix Perception exist.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <10-16-19/1359:28> »
They probably made "attack rolls" into "most rolls" because things like Matrix Perception exist.

That seems to be the case, which I find a bit sub-optimal... attacking is what most of them do afterall.

...but what is the hosts attack rating uses for? If all IC use rating×2 for their attack rating. Why would you ever put rating +3 in a host?

I think it would have been easier to just use normal matrix attack rating calculations for ICs sleaze+ attack as normal.. or am I missing something?