NEWS

[6e] I made a thing - SR6 character generation software

• 34 Replies

taranion

• Newb
« on: <10-01-19/0602:47> »
Hi,
Over the last months, with the friendly support of Pegasus Spiele (the german distributor of Shadowrun), I have been working on a character generator software for SR6. It is a desktop application like Chummer, but implemented in Java and running natively on Windows, OS X and Linux.
To be precise: It is a multi-system character generation software called "Genesis" and Shadowrun 6 was the latest addition. Other RPGs supported include Coriolis and Space 1889 (Ubiquity)

Screenshot:

First page of the PDF (PDF output was developed by my wife):

More details in the project blog.
Since yesterday I declared it ready for Beta testing (and I am very nervous about it ) - meaning it surely does have bugs, but I need real users now to find and squash them.
If you want to help testing (or simply give it a try), start here. But please don't report bugs in this thread - we have an issue tracker for that, so reports don't get lost.

The software is free and like Chummer and the source code will be available for contributions. But I am not quite there yet.

P.S.:
And since the question always comes: No, it is not online and it does not run on mobile. This may come somewhere in the future, but right now that is not possible.

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-01-19/0818:46> »
Outstanding work!

This looks extremely interesting, and I'll be putting it through the paces creating some characters. When reporting bugs, should we report data inaccuracies as well?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...

taranion

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <10-01-19/0924:36> »
Outstanding work!
Thank you.

When reporting bugs, should we report data inaccuracies as well?

Please do. I is more than possible than I slipped entering the data or that I missed an information in the descriptive text.

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <10-01-19/1050:57> »
Thank you very much for working on this.

I registered a BitBucket account so I could throw a bunch of mostly insignificant reports your way.

I haven't delved very deep into Genesis, however from what I have seen so far the Shadowrun 6 part is working very well.

I used Linux, and can say that I have no issues running the JAR on Linux Mint 19.2.

taranion

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <10-01-19/1113:42> »
Thank you very much for working on this.

I registered a BitBucket account so I could throw a bunch of mostly insignificant reports your way.
I noticed ;-)

I haven't delved very deep into Genesis, however from what I have seen so far the Shadowrun 6 part is working very well.
Funny, reading that from the user who reported the most bugs for the Beta release ;-)
But glad to hear it. I admit, I feared worse.

I used Linux, and can say that I have no issues running the JAR on Linux Mint 19.2.
I am using Linux (CentOS) myself.

Developing for multiple operating systems at once is really a problem when it comes to testing.

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <10-01-19/1400:29> »
Funny, reading that from the user who reported the most bugs for the Beta release ;-)
But glad to hear it. I admit, I feared worse.

Heh.  :)

No need to worry.  The vast majority of my reports are trivial.  Mostly typos that caught my eye as I was going through it.  The two minors really are just minors.  One of them is an issue with the Edit Pen icon showing up as a 6 in a circle for me - which could honestly be just as much an issue with my system than the app itself.

It works quite well.  I'd say you could even have released it as "full" non-test version and it wouldn't fare worse than most programs (and far exceeds those that only develop for Windows, in my opinion.  :P ).

dragrubis

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <10-02-19/0158:19> »
Download link somewhere?

taranion

• Newb

taranion

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <10-02-19/0858:20> »
Hi all. While there are now bug reports rolling in (thank you), it seems that there is confusion on where to report them.

While we are still in Beta, I would ask you NOT to use our regular bug tracker ( https://rpgframework.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1 ), since it unfortunately cannot be configured to make reports visible for all.
Instead please use Bitbucket: https://bitbucket.org/rpgframework/shadowrun-6/issues/

I will of course react to both way of reports, but to prevent you all from reporting bugs someone else already reported, the public visible Bitbucket issue list is the better choice.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #10 on: <10-02-19/1025:50> »
My bad, I didn't see the Create Issue on the Bitbucket page. :D

taranion

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <10-03-19/1142:47> »
I just released a second Beta version:
https://www.rpgframework.de/index.php/en/2019/10/03/genesis-5-0-0-beta-2/

It fixes several issues, e.g. Technomancers not being able to select complex forms in the assistant or not being able to create an aspected magician (Conjuror).

There are still issues left, from which the most pressing is that augmented attributes from adept powers and other sources are not correctly handled. I am on it.

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <10-03-19/1632:26> »
I just released a second Beta version:
https://www.rpgframework.de/index.php/en/2019/10/03/genesis-5-0-0-beta-2/

I just wanted to give a heads up to people who might not be used to Beta Testing:
Do not expect characters to work from one version to the next.

I'm not saying they definitely won't work...  Just trying to set expectations.
As taranion works on things, and adjusts some things, the save format might change and cause issues between versions.

I've downloaded the beta-2 version and just did a quick test and didn't notice any critical bugs running on Linux Mint 19.2.  Thank you for your *nix support.  I know, you said you use CentOS, but I still think the effort warrants a thanks.

I'll do a deep dive into it and try and dig up more issues for you later tonight.

taranion

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <10-06-19/1425:41> »
A third Beta version has been released.

The full release notes:
  • [GEN-198] –  Feature: Improve pool calculation and explanation
  • [GEN-199] –  Used Cyberware essence cost is incorrect
  • [GEN-208] –  Feature: SR6: Add possibility to add Ammunition
  • [GEN-209] –  Feature: SR6: Made some items countable (e.g. patches, ammunition …)
  • [GEN-196] –   Print: SmallArmorElement should list Attribute Modifications
  • [GEN-203] –   Change: Change default matrix iniative from AR to VR
  • [GEN-213] –   Change: Improve item picker table cells with more details
  • [GEN-159] –   Deleting SINs does not work in creation mode
  • [GEN-180] –   Adept power Improved Reflexes not interacting with stats properly
  • [GEN-184] –   Quality “Impaired” not multiple selectable
  • [GEN-185] –   Limitation “Only one skill at maximum” was missing
  • [GEN-186] –   stealth drone software on drones wont let be assigned/added. 
  • [GEN-188] –   Missing “Tools” category on other gear
  • [GEN-189] –   Real SIN doesn’t let you apply changes
  • [GEN-190] –   Can’t increase ratings on Armor Accessories
  • [GEN-191] –   Contact Loyalty maxes at 6 instead of 12
  • [GEN-192] –   Don’t allow adding rewards without title or karma anymore
  • [GEN-193] –  Characters with exotic weapon specializations for Ares Antioch not loadable
  • [GEN-194] –  Mentor spirits that granted 1 level in an adept power, granted 0 instead
  • [GEN-195] –  Automatic added qualities missing in user interface
  • [GEN-197] –  Gas-Vents don’t have a rating
  • [GEN-200] –  Fixed some accessory mappings – especially for cyberware
  • [GEN-204] –  Chars with adept power ‘improved sense’ fail to load
  • [GEN-206] –  Fixed missing “Magic” navigation icon
  • [GEN-207] –  Adept Power “Combat Sense” doesn’t grant +1 to defensive rating anymore
  • [GEN-211] –  GUI shows wrong price when picking an used augmentation
  • [GEN-214] –  Deleting Submersion/Initiation does not work in creation mode
This sunday was the first day without new issues. Though I don't think it will stay this way, it is still a promising sign.

paw9000

• Newb
  • Can we make the blood flow up the walls?
« Reply #14 on: <10-07-19/0216:59> »
Thank you so much for making this!  I'm having a lot of fun creating characters.

I've logged a few bugs.  Thanks for fixing the ones I reported last week, quick turn around.

Is there an option to buy things like Throwing knives and grenades in the app that im missing?  If it's not there I'd like to put in a feature request for that.