NEWS

The Way of the Adept kicks off Shadowrun Options line

• 93 Replies

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #45 on: <04-29-11/1354:53> »
for clarification:
I can still put geas(a) on these powers to get an effective 50% discount?
it's nowhere in the pdf, so I guess it's stackable. and usually we add the discounts together rather than multiplying one after another...
Your GM must deside how it works, if he allows you to use that optional rule along with the adept way optional rule.
But adding the discounts together is how it's mostly handelt in the system with other discounts.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #46 on: <04-29-11/1447:55> »
It could be worse.

We could have to buy booster packs of random cards in order to get spells, adept abilities, cybernetics, and so on...  Supplemental books for increased options for characters have been around for a long time.  At full price.

I'm trying to remember the one they had for power-creep back in the day.  Oh, right:  The Street Samurai Catalog.  :P

Of course, I'm sure people were complaining about having to buy the book to get the items inside of it back then too.  ;)
Ahh... the good ol' days with Neon Samurai* and crew.

*+1 to those** that get the reference

**Except the freelancers. You should get those. ;)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #47 on: <04-29-11/1556:12> »
Did he ever reveal his evidence?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #48 on: <04-29-11/1727:57> »
for clarification:
I can still put geas(a) on these powers to get an effective 50% discount?
it's nowhere in the pdf, so I guess it's stackable. and usually we add the discounts together rather than multiplying one after another...
If your GM lets you use both, then yes they'd be stackable (like most discounts) -- but remember that, as these are optional rules and the Adept Geasa is an optional rule, it's up to your GM even more than normal.  So, I dunno, ask him twice, or something, and make sure he knows what he's getting into if he says yes.  Don't be "that guy" who tricks a GM into using optional rules and creates a monster and ruins it for everybody.  ;)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #49 on: <04-29-11/1847:21> »
Some GM's accept bribes.  Some even admit it.

My personal favorite come in the form of gift certificates for my FLGS, as they can also be used for Army Surplus and Knives.

Which is probably why my group goes for the alternatives.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #50 on: <04-29-11/2345:57> »
Now, the question is...  if you use both the Option and Geas, do you add them, or do you take the % reduction on after the other.  Because there's a difference there ;)

A 1 point power with both reductions added is .5, of course.  But if you take 25% off, then 25% off again, you end up with it costing .5625 :)

That said, as stated above, both are Optional rules.  As such, it's up to the GM whether to allow them, whether or not they stack, and how to apply the discount :)

Bull

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #51 on: <04-30-11/0052:32> »
Now, the question is...  if you use both the Option and Geas, do you add them, or do you take the % reduction on after the other.  Because there's a difference there ;)

A 1 point power with both reductions added is .5, of course.  But if you take 25% off, then 25% off again, you end up with it costing .5625 :)

That said, as stated above, both are Optional rules.  As such, it's up to the GM whether to allow them, whether or not they stack, and how to apply the discount :)

Bull
Well, looking at the stuff for Cyberware (delta plus the qualities that lower cost), I'd add the percentages together, then base the cost off that. So, I'd go with the 50% off rule.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #52 on: <04-30-11/0355:37> »
So, It's basically The Adept's Way for Shadowrun? I really really hope the Discipline-spinoff is done well.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #53 on: <04-30-11/0418:18> »

I would efinedly go with the adding them together option, it might be bad math(as some people over at dumpshock are fond of pointing out), but it produces a hella lot simpler numbers and if you as a GM allow someone to use both of those optional rules for same power, then you have no room(IMHO) for saying that it's OP if its ad up to 50% reduction instead of 43,somethink% reduction.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #54 on: <04-30-11/1317:11> »
So, It's basically The Adept's Way for Shadowrun? I really really hope the Discipline-spinoff is done well.
It's definitely too short (I'd have liked them to have done a full "chapter" on each Path/Discipline), but it has good information and the rules do make it easier for Adepts to keep up with the Sammies.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #55 on: <05-03-11/0609:32> »
It's definitely too short (I'd have liked them to have done a full "chapter" on each Path/Discipline), but it has good information and the rules do make it easier for Adepts to keep up with the Sammies.
This puppy was my first project pitch to The Powers That Be, and the ball got rolling on this e-book back before I'd even gotten anything else officially written (as part of a normal sourcebook, not my own pet project).  If I thought I'd had a chance in hell of talking 'em into letting me do a book that size, trust me, I would have loved to! 

As it was I formally pitched 'em a 5,000 word product last year, and ended up going to over 8,000 after some playest revisions (that I used as an excuse to double the IC sections, shadowtalk and all).  If I thought I could've gotten away with writing more, I would'a tried it, but I felt like I was already pushing my luck.   ;D

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #56 on: <07-10-11/1658:28> »
Just a little bump, with two quick announcements:

1)  The Way of the Adept hit gold on drivethrurpg.com the other day, which is awesome.  Thanks, everybody.  Spurred on by that, I felt like doing...

2)  I put together a little FAQ/errata for this puppy, compiling some of the discussions I've had with fans here and on DS and elsewhere.  There's a link in my signature, to the little google doc I threw together for it.  Hopefully this'll help people enjoy the book a little more, and give some insight on how some things fell together (without them having to read page after page of various forums).  Enjoy!

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #57 on: <07-10-11/1734:18> »
Yay!

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #58 on: <07-11-11/1515:18> »
And, just an FYI for everyone, but if there's still any questions about Way of the Adept, anything I'm still leaving unclear even in the FAQ-rata, or whatever, please feel free to PM me or something.  It's a work in progress, and I'll be updating it if/when future questions arise.

I want my stuff to be awesome to read and easy to use, for my fellow Shadowrun fans.

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #59 on: <07-11-11/1624:08> »
And, just an FYI for everyone, but if there's still any questions about Way of the Adept, anything I'm still leaving unclear even in the FAQ-rata, or whatever, please feel free to PM me or something.  It's a work in progress, and I'll be updating it if/when future questions arise.

I want my stuff to be awesome to read and easy to use, for my fellow Shadowrun fans.

I don't have anything to add to that section since sadly I play mainly missions games.  But I wanted to say nice job! 

On a related note, what are the future planned Options?