NEWS

[OOC] New Beginnings

• 1943 Replies

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #765 on: <02-26-13/0200:58> »
There is that.  Guess I might as well get in contact with her, then...

Also, Crossbow: My sprite was tasked to get some kind of timeline together regarding both the time leading up to the lost time and the lost time itself.  Shouldn't fan blogs and such have "sightings" on them that could be used to (with relative ease, in fact) stitch such a thing together about Sammy?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #766 on: <02-26-13/0513:27> »
I think Ikari should phone in contacts before we start scraping the bottom of the barrel. It's only half the world so far, right?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #767 on: <02-26-13/0515:22> »
Part of my plan here is to get ahold of a stack of disposable 'links so that everyone can start getting ahold of contacts.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #768 on: <02-26-13/0656:44> »
That is making an awful lot of assumptions of the abilities of local criminal enterprise..

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #769 on: <02-26-13/0700:22> »
What, the disposable links?  They're a legitimate product without so much as an availability stat.  Can probably buy them out of a freaking vending machine.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #770 on: <02-26-13/0908:24> »
I'd question how much an amerind 2070 backwater buys into disposable consumer culture. Not something I have the faintest clue on.

Throwaway comms seem more like a city thing though, unless there's a recycler for it. (the same way you can get flats clothing and sandals)

irisheathen

• Omae
  • "There is enough time to sleep when you're dead."
« Reply #771 on: <02-26-13/1145:18> »
Ok just want to confirm a few things:
Rifle is in the car. Car is low on gas. Clem has keys and all the money (whats left). Party has split into 3 groups (Johnny and Sam; O'Conner, Clem, Icarus, and Fionn; Sammy and Heron).

Current objectives listed in order of importance (in my opinion) : Acquire nonviolent gear. Gas up car. Find place for the night. Acquire way to cross border. Acquire violent gear (depending on method of border crossing).

As for the phones, you can purchase disposables (AKA Prepaid) at a lot of "backwoods" gas stations currently so I don't see it being a problem (especially if there is a criminal element in town.) A lot is resting on getting comms currently; with them we have access to our individual contacts as well as our individual money (which I assume we could pull out at a local bank or stuffer shack in the form of paper currency.

@Crossbow: How "backwoods" are we? Size of town? Approximate population?

@Thvor: Johnny will follow Sam's lead.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
-H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Speech
Thoughts
Matrix Speech
Matrix <<Text>>

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #772 on: <02-26-13/1336:47> »
Okay from the top, yes samantha is famous, but she is also a runner, so while folks do recognize her, I assume her illusion magic keeps her from getting tailed if she cares about not letting them.  The blogs and fansites you mention have pegged her as having permanently moved to Seattle, and even where she was clubbing on Saturday night, but that's it.  You really can't find much, you guys are too new, you have too little data to work with (SINs, name, really any data) and you are trying to track multiple individuals whose existence depends on being hard to track down.

You are in a small town, the population is a few thousand. No public transit, one business district, one mall, one movie house kinda place.  Probably a county seat if they have that kinda place, but only because of a lack of competition for the title.

The disposable comlink you are going to need to show me, because I can't find it.  A basic comm costs 300 and you need a SIN to get one. (which none of you have, though Fionne can fake it)

Thvor

• Omae
« Reply #773 on: <02-26-13/1343:41> »
So, Sam's trying to (gently) pump the sheriff for information on where to get gear. A secondary objective during the tour will be to find out the local power structure--are there any corporations working in the area, etc.--with some hope of figuring out why the team was dumped near Yakima in the first place.

Johnny was brought along largely because Sam didn't want to go off with the sheriff without bringing some muscle along. :) Paranoia is a great thing, isn't it?

Sam would also be keeping an eye out for vehicles that look like easy potential acquisitions; I'm trying to come up with a plausible story to tell the sheriff to talk him into loaning us his vehicle (truck? generally, rural police forces will use bigger vehicles which can go off-road if needed), but I'm not sure I'd be able to pull that one off.  ;)
Colors: Speech Thoughts Matrix Astral

Like sci-fi/fantasy? Check out my wife's books!

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #774 on: <02-26-13/1345:49> »
The disposable comlink you are going to need to show me, because I can't find it.  A basic comm costs 300 and you need a SIN to get one. (which none of you have, though Fionne can fake it)

Disposable commlink: unwired p196.  And I have a SIN, although not on me at the moment.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #775 on: <02-26-13/1352:22> »

Disposable commlink: unwired p196.  And I have a SIN, although not on me at the moment.

Okay got it, same 300, and it is that not being on you that is the problem.  Several of you have SINs, and feel free to speak to the local authorites about that, just get ready for several governments to crawl all up in your business when you do, and don't expect a lot of freedom when after you do.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #776 on: <02-26-13/1830:09> »

Okay got it, same 300, and it is that not being on you that is the problem.  Several of you have SINs, and feel free to speak to the local authorites about that, just get ready for several governments to crawl all up in your business when you do, and don't expect a lot of freedom when after you do.

I'm basically looking to Spoof a vending machine to get ahold of them - trick it into thinking it's gotten an appropriate transaction, or somesuch.  Given that the MSP service and commcode are baked in, there's really no reason they'd need a SIN.

Also not sure where you're reading that you need a SIN to get a commlink (Unwired even covers MSP's for the SINless or those that just don't want to give one out).  Freaking everyone has commlinks.  Hence all the jokes about toaster networking in the Barrens.

Also, suggestion:  Don't insist again that Rudy take the money.  He might take that as an insult, in fact.
« Last Edit: <02-26-13/1832:12> by RHat »
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Crossbow

• Prime Runner
« Reply #777 on: <02-26-13/1847:10> »

I'm basically looking to Spoof a vending machine to get ahold of them - trick it into thinking it's gotten an appropriate transaction, or somesuch.  Given that the MSP service and commcode are baked in, there's really no reason they'd need a SIN.

Also not sure where you're reading that you need a SIN to get a commlink (Unwired even covers MSP's for the SINless or those that just don't want to give one out).  Freaking everyone has commlinks.  Hence all the jokes about toaster networking in the Barrens.

Okay I need to find what MSP is, but I would allow that to work if you can find a vending machine, not likely to find that unless you go out the the truck stop though.

Also, suggestion:  Don't insist again that Rudy take the money.  He might take that as an insult, in fact.

Kinda curious why you did ever tried to, or force it the first time, thought the whole idea of the movie thing was a free meal?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #778 on: <02-26-13/1854:41> »
Matrix Service Provider.  Takes care of things like commcodes, and often they have other handy stuff.  Rolled into lifestyle costs, pretty sure.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #779 on: <02-26-13/1921:48> »
It's a matter conflicting codes of conduct, as I see it.

If there's a tip jar, Ikari put the refused cash in there, and moved on.