NEWS

[Resource][Weapon] Z-Zone Weapons

• 17 Replies

BRodda

• Newb
  • I create stupid useless things.
« on: <01-07-15/1131:36> »
Note: I posted this a long time ago on DS. I have updated them to be usable in 5th Ed.

Z-Zone Weapons

Most people consider the Barrens and other Z Zones as being places filled with stupid punks armed with light weapons terrorizing the even stupider and unarmed populace of SINless like bullies in a playground. The fact is that the unarmed and the stupid die fast in the Barrens, and most of dwellers wish they were rich enough to afford even the lightest of real guns. However through ingenuity and lots of spare time (no work and little entertainment) has led to the creation and dissemination. of a new breed of makeshift weapons. Like their builders and wielders they are brutal, fast and not expected to last long. Contrary to the running gun battles on Trid or the long shoot outs between Shadowrunners and Security forces, Barrens fights tend to be very brief as each side expends what little munitions they have in the first few seconds of the fight. They are also very economical as the value of what is being fought over is very low, and it never makes sense to use more than you will get back in the attack. In a place where even a heavy pistol is a ticket to a better gang and a better life everything has a price and everyone is an economist.

However when the ignorant, stupid or arrogant wander into their nests very often the riches to be gained are worth the dozens of bullets, gallons of fuel and the lives of a few friends.

NOTE: Scavenge Time is an extended Intuition + either Survival or Hardware or Industrial Mechanic roll, whichever is higher.

All weapons are considered F for legality. Due to the makeshift nature of the weapons 1s and 2s count towards glitches.

All items on this list are throwbacks and have no wireless connections (they don’t even have a data port.)

Melee Weapons:

Turkey Carver
Relevant Skill: Blades
Scavenge Time: 5 successes/ 1 week
Build Time: (Industrial Mechanic + Logic) 15 successes/ 1 hour
Accuracy: 6    Damage: 6P     AP: -3     Reach: -     Concealability Modifier: -2

The Turkey Carver is a weapon very much like its name sake; it is two blades made of metal scrap attached to two motors that slide the blades back and forth. The power cell is usually striped from a comlink or other small electronics device. This weapon is very popular with the denizens who don’t have the strength to effectively use a normal knife in combat. The other advantage of the moving blades is that they literally chew through armor and helps to make it a very effective against leather jackets and armored vests.

Angler (AKA Pocket Fisherman)
Relevant Skill: Exotic Weapon (Mono-whip)
Scavenge Time: 15 successes/ 1 week
Build Time: (Industrial Mechanic + Logic) 25 successes/ 1 day
Accuracy: 3     Damage: 7P     AP: -2     Reach: +2     Concealability Modifier: -1

The Angler is usually referred to as the poor man’s monowhip. It consists of a reel of microwire 1-2 meters long still on its spool. The builder then adds a handle to the spool and attaches it to a rod in a manner similar to a very short fishing pole (about .25 meters) with guides made from scavenged micro-resistant material. The free end is then weighted down to act as a counter weight. The user then uses the reel to control the length of wire coming off of the end of the pole. Many users also wear a glove mode of micro-resistant material for better control of the line. A trained person wielding this weapon is a fearsome sight, but a poor user just looks like they are fishing. Either way it is one of the most feared weapons in the Barrens.

Cat’s Paw (AKA Cheese Cutter, Harp of Death)
Relevant Skill: Blades
Scavenge Time: 10 successes/ 1 week
Build Time: (Industrial Mechanic + Logic) 10 successes/ 1 day
Accuracy: 4     Damage: STR+2     AP: -2     Reach: +1     Concealability Modifier: +2
[Note: On a Glitch the bow breaks and the wielder takes 8P damage from the wire wrapping around their arm.

The Cat’s Paw is a series of micro-wires stretched between two points of a bowed piece of metal or fiberglass (similar to a bow with a handle at one end where the bow string is micro-wire). Many variants use 3 strands of wire anchored to 3 points at one end and a single point just above the handle. While it is devastating in melee it is unstable and prone to breaking and ripping the wielders arm off.

Shock Stick
Relevant Skill: Clubs
Scavenge Time: 10 successes/ 1 week
Build Time: (Hardware + Logic) 30 successes/ 1 day
Accuracy: 3     Damage: 10S(e)     AP: -5     Mode: SS     Ammo: 10     Reach:+ 1     Concealability Modifier: +4
Note: Weighs 30kg for encumbrance values. When plugged in it recharges 1 shot per 10 minutes.

The Shock Stick is a tazer with the equivalent of a battery backpack. The pole is of some simple non-conductive material with two wires with contacts at the end. In the handle is bank of super capacitors that have been scrounged from other tazers or some industrial power equipment. The power source is usually a battery pack from a drone or electric scooter. It is a serious danger to both the wielder and the opponent as the battery pack is usually not very well waterproofed and can suddenly discharge when soaked with water (10S to the wielder).

Firearms:

Box Shooter
Relevant Skill: Pistol
Scavenge Time: 10 successes/ 30 minutes
Build Time: (Armorer + Logic) 5 successes/ 1 hour
Accuracy: 2     Damage: Per Ammo built around     AP: Per Ammo built around     Mode: SS     RC: -     Ammo: 1     Range: Point Blank Only     Concealability Modifier: -5

A box shooter is just an ammo round that has been modified to be fired with the push of a button or some other trigger. It is destroyed when used, but can sometimes pack a nasty surprise based on what is scrounged to build it.

Knuckle Duster
Scavenge Time: 10 successes/ 1 day
Build Time: (Armorer + Logic) 10 successes/ 1 hour
Accuracy: 7     Damage: 9P     AP: 0     Mode: SS     RC: 2     Ammo: 1     Range: 1 meter     Concealability Modifier: -1
Notes: Reloading Method is Break action and takes 5 complex actions to reload. Damage Value includes the fact it is always a Narrow Long Burst. Count as brass knuckle in unarmed combat.

A Knuckle Duster is a palm gun built to fire all 6 bullets at once at a close target. They are built to either cover the whole hand or as a set of oversized brass knuckles based on the builder’s preference. They are a breach weapon that requires it to be removed, opened, manually eject the spent shells and then reloaded and closed. This generally means the gun is fired only in the first round of combat before entering into hand to hand.

Barrens Blaster
Relevant Skill: Automatic
Scavenge Time: 15 successes/ 1 day
Build Time: (Armorer + Logic) 10 successes/ 1 hour
Accuracy: 3     Damage: 15P     AP: -1     Mode: SS     RC: 5     Ammo: 1     Range: 5 meters     Concealability Modifier: +3
Notes: Reloading Method is Break action. Each Complex action loads 2 bullets; capacity is 15 bullets. Damage Value includes the fact it is always a Narrow Long Burst.

The Barrens Blaster is an assault rifle sized homemade gun with an extremely large front end and smaller back end weight down for balance. The gun actually has 15 “muzzles”, with a round in each one. When the trigger is pulled all 15 rounds go off in a spectacular fashion. However the range is very short due to the lack of rifling material available for use in the construction. It is also a breach opening weapon that takes a long time to reload. However with the staggering amount of killing power it unleashes very few targets are standing after the first shot.

Burner
Build Time: (Armorer + Logic) 15 successes/ 1 hour
Accuracy: 3     Damage: 5P(fire)     AP: -Half     Mode: SS     RC: -     Ammo: 1     Range: 2 meters     Concealability Modifier: -1
Notes: Reloading Method is Break action. Takes 5 Complex actions to reload.

A Burner is a single shot flame thrower that is loaded with a flammable liquid. Most people keep spare bottles of fuel handy to refill the reservoir. The propellant is compressed air that is stored by a pumping or bellows mechanism. The Burner is a great intimidator as even a minor burn can prove fatal in an area with little to no medical care.

Forearm Launcher (AKA Super Slingshot)
Relevant Skill: Thrown Weapon
Scavenge Time: 10 successes/ 1 hour for thrower. 2 successes/ 1 hour for 3 projectiles.
Build Time: (Industrial Mechanic + Logic) 5 successes/ 1 hour for thrower. 2 successes/30 min for 3 projectiles.
Accuracy: 4     Damage: 3P     AP: 0     Mode: SS     RC: 2     Ammo: 1(m)     Concealability Modifier: -1     Range: 5 Meters

A Forearm Launcher is a bolt thrower that is mounted against the forearm and powered by surgical tubing, industrial rubber bands or high tensile springs. They are generally used as a backup weapon as they keep your hands free for a more cumbersome weapon (like a Barrens Blaster or Burner). The projectiles range for knifes to bolts, but almost all are made of scrap metal or plastic. They are also used for when silence is required to keep from drawing unwanted attention. There is no trigger to launch the bolt. To fire the weapon the user slams their arm outwards in the trowing motion with a sudden stop that triggers the release.

Explosives:

Thermal Detonator
Relevant Skill: Thrown Weapon
Build Time: (Chemistry + Logic) 15 successes/ 30 minutes
Damage: 5P(Fire)     AP: –2 for people/–10 for vehicles or barriers     Blast: Does not have a blast radius
Notes: Once activated the grenade takes 1 combat rounds to get up to temperature and then burns uncontrollably for 5 combat turns. Apply damage each turn it is burning.

Thermal Detonators are, in essence, thermite in a can. The thermite is made by recipes handed down through a gang or family of the proper ratio of rust to shaved aluminum. Some still use manual fuses, but most people use scrounged catalyst sticks as igniters. Slow to get burning, once going the thermite goes for several seconds before burning itself out. Most builders coat the sides with some sort of glue or adhesive to make them stick so they can be tossed on car hoods or stuck to van walls. If they are used against a person it is generally an easy matter to knock them off and away.
« Last Edit: <01-15-15/1640:17> by BRodda »

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <01-07-15/1157:04> »
Thanks for posting this!  If it's okay with you, I'll do some nitpicking.  Overall everything looks good.  I'll pull individual lines and give you feedback.

(no work and little entrainment)

Typo here - should be entertainment.

creation and dissimulation

I think you mean dissemination.

I would suggest as well that instead of putting "Weapon Type" you put "Relevant Skill."  For instance, the Cat's Paw sounds like a weapon one punches with - so does it use Unarmed Combat?

Box Shooter
Weapon Type: Pistol
Accuracy: 2     Damage: Per Ammo built around     AP: Per Ammo built around     Mode: SS     RC: -     Ammo: 1     Range: Point Blank Only     Concealability Modifier: -5

Ammo doesn't have a base damage value, so you should provide a default and then apply the ammo type's modifications to that default.  Same with AP, which I would just default to 0.

A Burner is a single shot flame thrower that is loaded with a flammable liquid. Most people keep spare bottles of fuel handy to refill the reservoir; however the propellant is compressed air that is stored by a pumping or bellows mechanism. However the Burner is a great intimidator as even a minor burn can prove fatal in an area with little to no medical care.

You used However twice in a row in the description - you might find a different way to phrase one or the other.  Neither sentence seems to be a "however" though, because there's no contradictory element being revealed.

Weapon Type: Thrown Weapon
Scavenge Time: 10 successes/ 1 hour for thrower. 2 successes/ 1 hour for 3 projectiles.
Build Time: (Industrial Mechanic + Logic) 5 successes/ 1 hour for thrower. 2 successes/30 min for 3 projectiles.
Accuracy: 4     Damage: 3P     AP: 0     Mode: SS     RC: 2     Ammo: 1     Concealability Modifier: -1     Range: 5 Meters
Notes: Reloading is a Complex Action.

Should this be a thrown weapon?  Based on the description, it sounds more like a makeshift hand crossbow.  I think it should use the Archery skill.  Additionally, if you make this weapon's ammo value into 1(m) then it will require a Complex Action to reload by default and won't require specifying the reload complexity.

Thermal Detonator
Damage: 5P(f)     AP: –2 for people/–10 for vehicles or barriers     Blast: Does not have a blast radius
Notes: Once activated the grenade takes 1 combat rounds to get up to temperature and then burns uncontrollably for 5 combat turns. Apply damage each turn it is burning.

Why is this listed as a flechette weapon in the Damage?
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

BRodda

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <01-07-15/1246:03> »
Thanks for posting this!  If it's okay with you, I'll do some nitpicking.  Overall everything looks good.  I'll pull individual lines and give you feedback.

Nitpicks are always welcome. Its how we improve.
(no work and little entrainment)

Typo here - should be entertainment.

creation and dissimulation

I think you mean dissemination.

Fixed
I would suggest as well that instead of putting "Weapon Type" you put "Relevant Skill."  For instance, the Cat's Paw sounds like a weapon one punches with - so does it use Unarmed Combat?

It was the skill that is used for tests. I have make the change you suggested.

Box Shooter
Weapon Type: Pistol

Ammo doesn't have a base damage value, so you should provide a default and then apply the ammo type's modifications to that default.  Same with AP, which I would just default to 0.

Might need to figure out a better way to state that. Maybe a table for differences between a holdout pistol round and a sniper rifle round. Same for AP.

A Burner is a single shot flame thrower that is loaded with a flammable liquid. Most people keep spare bottles of fuel handy to refill the reservoir; however the propellant is compressed air that is stored by a pumping or bellows mechanism. However the Burner is a great intimidator as even a minor burn can prove fatal in an area with little to no medical care.

You used However twice in a row in the description - you might find a different way to phrase one or the other.  Neither sentence seems to be a "however" though, because there's no contradictory element being revealed.

Neatened up the wording.

Accuracy: 4     Damage: 3P     AP: 0     Mode: SS     RC: 2     Ammo: 1     Concealability Modifier: -1     Range: 5 Meters
Notes: Reloading is a Complex Action.

Should this be a thrown weapon?  Based on the description, it sounds more like a makeshift hand crossbow.  I think it should use the Archery skill.  Additionally, if you make this weapon's ammo value into 1(m) then it will require a Complex Action to reload by default and won't require specifying the reload complexity.

Changed ammo to 1(m).  Also the weapon is fired by moving your arm in a throwing motion. No trigger. I added it to the description. It is why it uses thrown weapon.

Thermal Detonator
Damage: 5P(f)     AP: –2 for people/–10 for vehicles or barriers     Blast: Does not have a blast radius

Why is this listed as a flechette weapon in the Damage?

Old notation for fire. Changed.
« Last Edit: <01-07-15/1247:50> by BRodda »

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-07-15/1513:06> »
Awesome!  I honestly can't think of anything else that might be needing cleaning up, and the weapons seem badass.  Limited utility with the double glitch method and crazy long reload times, but in a pinch they're awesome.  Seems like they would kill the user too, which is part of the whole double glitch system I'm sure.  I really like these.  I'm probably going to have to throw some of these at my players the next time they trek into the Barrens.  My players are getting a little urbane, and could stand to see some Mad Max inspired chaos.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

BRodda

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <01-07-15/1649:52> »
Awesome!  I honestly can't think of anything else that might be needing cleaning up, and the weapons seem badass.  Limited utility with the double glitch method and crazy long reload times, but in a pinch they're awesome.  Seems like they would kill the user too, which is part of the whole double glitch system I'm sure.  I really like these.  I'm probably going to have to throw some of these at my players the next time they trek into the Barrens.  My players are getting a little urbane, and could stand to see some Mad Max inspired chaos.

Thanks. I wanted to add some flavor to the setting. I wasn't really seeing why people avoided the Barrens, and the gangers in the Barrens were pretty flavorless. I also noticed that to make them challenging to players I had to give them so much equipment that it made no sense for them to even be in the Barrens.

With these weapons I was able to make my gangers very good ambush predators. Not strong enough to take on a full team, but if one or two of them went in there was a very real chance that they might not be coming back if they were stupid. Made things like contacts and skills a lot more valuable.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-07-15/1929:56> »
BRodda, do you mind if I compile this into a Word doc?  If I can have your permission, I'd like to make a couple of tweaks here and there.  Adding limits and such to relevant tests.

BRodda

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <01-07-15/1936:37> »
Go ahead. I have it in a word doc already somewhere if you don't want to rebuild it. Just put a credit on it if you want to repost it someplace else.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #7 on: <01-07-15/1937:42> »
Also like to point out that normally in 5th melee weapons don't have 1/2 str +# any more. So your death cat's paw should be more like str +2. Also, the turkey carver should be slightly higher damage, 4p is about the same as a average str human or weak orc with a knife (str+1p).

Otherwise, really like the weapons and might make a scavanger adept that uses similar weapons.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

BRodda

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <01-07-15/2222:06> »
Also like to point out that normally in 5th melee weapons don't have 1/2 str +# any more. So your death cat's paw should be more like str +2. Also, the turkey carver should be slightly higher damage, 4p is about the same as a average str human or weak orc with a knife (str+1p).

Otherwise, really like the weapons and might make a scavanger adept that uses similar weapons.

Checked some other wepons and rebalaced the damages. Went with 6P for the Carver and STR+2 for the Cat
s Paw.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #9 on: <01-08-15/0030:43> »
No problem, biggest thing I have noticed between 5th and 4th weapon wise is weapons are overall more deadly.
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Redman

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <01-11-15/1447:11> »
totally nizzel ;D

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #11 on: <01-15-15/1115:29> »
Noticed one other thing, for the Cat's Paw, Turkey Carver, and Shocker they need their skills change. The group is called close combat and CP and TC I would suggest blade (CP might be exotic) and blunt for Shocker (since it is a poor man's stun batton).

BRodda

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <01-15-15/1132:10> »
Noticed one other thing, for the Cat's Paw, Turkey Carver, and Shocker they need their skills change. The group is called close combat and CP and TC I would suggest blade (CP might be exotic) and blunt for Shocker (since it is a poor man's stun batton).

Missed that. Modified original post.

Thanks

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #13 on: <01-15-15/1625:26> »
No problem, glad to be of help.

8-bit

« Reply #14 on: <01-15-15/1627:29> »
It would be Clubs for the Shock Stick, not Blunt.