NEWS

[SR6] Noob questions

• 9 Replies

Battenhatch

• Newb
« on: <11-22-20/1039:33> »
So - noob here, new to SR in general and SR6 both. TTRPG'er and GM in multiple systems since '86, though, so used to reading rules in general:

Melee attacks - I can't seem to find it specifically stated anywhere, but do they assume that characters are right next to each other? Melee weapons have an Attack Rating for Close range, which is 0-3m, so can a melee attack go off without a Move Minor action if someone is 3m from an opponent? Expecting the answer "no"  ;)

Multiple attacks - is the rule "divide pool with # of attacks, round down" in general, or is that only for multiple attacks with different weapons? Ie., a 13 die FA attack split in two attacks is 7 and 6 dice, or 2 x 6 dice? And 13 die pistol shot plus 10 die knife stab is 6 dice and 5 dice when executed?

And I dread to ask ;): How did it finally end up with unarmed base damage? Is it 2S or (Strength/2, round up)S?
« Last Edit: <11-22-20/1042:40> by Battenhatch »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-22-20/1146:17> »
Welcome to the forum Battenhatch! :-)

Melee attacks
Melee (including unarmed combat) typically only have an Attack Rating for the Close range category.

It is assumed that you can typically hit anyone within this range with a melee weapon (without spending a minor Move action).

Note that in some cases the Close range category is extended from 3 meters to 5 meters. For example if you have the Long Reach Positive Quality.

Multiple attacks
When you have one dice pool then you try to divide the number of dice in the pool as evenly as possible over your targets.

For example: If you are attacking with a Sword in your right hand and a Knife in your left hand and you wish to attack the same target twice (once with each weapon) then you would take your Agility + Close Combat dice pool and divide it between the two attacks. If it is an uneven number (say 13 dice) then you get one dice more on one of the attacks (in this case your sword attack by your main hand would probably get 7 dice.... in which case the knife attack in your offhand would get the remaining 6 dice).

When you have two different forms of attacks (two different dice pools) then you typically split the pools individually instead (and round down).

For example: If you are attacking with a pistol in one hand and a katana in your other hand then you would take your Agility + Firearms pool and split it in two (round down) for your pistol attack and your Agility + Close Combat pool and split it in two (round down) for your Katana attack. If you have an Agility of 6, a Firearms skill of 6 and a Close Combat skill of 3 then your Pistol attack would end up with 12/2=6 dice while your katana attack would end up with 9/2=4 dice.

How did it finally end up with unarmed base damage?
Unarmed Combat base DV = 2 (Stun).
Unarmed Combat Attack Rating = Strength + Reaction.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <11-22-20/1229:47> »
@Xenon The rules state 'split evenly', not 'split as evenly as possible', so it's debatable whether the odd die is dropped. Personally I'd go with keeping it normally, since dual-wielding is already very underpowered.

Base Unarmed is 2S, yes, and augmentations may boost it. There's also a martial arts where you can buff damage.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-22-20/1306:10> »
The rules state 'split evenly', not 'split as evenly as possible'
https://imgur.com/QxrxBp9

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-22-20/1353:17> »
7 dice split evenly is 3.5 dice.  That's not possible.

Rounding to 3 dice and 4 dice is possible.  But it's not as even as rounding to 3 and 3 dice.

That's the semantic rub.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Battenhatch

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <11-22-20/1524:34> »
Thank you, gentlemen :)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <11-22-20/1558:23> »
Multiple Attacks (I)
A character can attack more than one opponent,
assuming ammunition, reach, and enemy
placement allow it. Split your dice pool evenly
among all targets, or if you are using two different
forms of attack, use half the dice pool for each,
rounded down. This action must be used in conjunction
with an Attack Major Action.

@Xenon: I apologize for missing that p111 mentions it in slightly different language compared to the p42 check that I was referencing. I'll take your apology for your passive-agressive response in cookies.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <11-23-20/1059:39> »
Batten,

Welcome to the forums.  As you may have noticed most everyone is here to help.  At least that is from my personal experience.

Your post cleared something up for me because I had missed the differences in p42 and p111.

Welcome,
Sir Ludwig
« Last Edit: <11-23-20/1102:55> by Sir Ludwig »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <11-23-20/1310:41> »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #9 on: <11-23-20/1726:05> »
Personal attacks are not healthy for a forum. A post has been removed due to this. Please refrain from attacking your fellow forum-mates or bannings will commence.