NEWS

AR Glove Implants?

• 17 Replies

Booze

• Chummer
  • Johny Walker, the street name Booze came by itself
« Reply #15 on: <03-08-14/0615:21> »
In my opinion the discusion about datajack is pointles. Even if it has wireless capabilities your martix persona would be made of glass, so advertising spam could kill it [i hope you were not crazy to sim or hot sim in such mode]. So you conect it to commlink as it is ment to work, and you will have nice firewall ;) [datajack has a 1 meter data ceble for this pourpose]
Booze's VU93 Profile
Im From EU, so my time zone is +7 from forum time, when you sleep I read ;)

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <03-08-14/0634:33> »
Out of curiosity, where does that cable go when not used? Retracts back into your head?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <03-08-14/0707:51> »
Not true, a DNI requires a physical link. These would allow for totally wireless interaction.
Wait.. what?
No, in order to properly link your DNI you need wireless ON.
In SR5 things goes slower if you use a physical link (free actions become simple actions).

Not arguing that DNI's can be built without cables. But I don't see how DNI's can go wireless without some sort of broadcasting device.
In SR5 all devices have wireless capabilities.
No device in SR5 require that you first hook them up to a commlink
In fact, in SR5 it is not even clear if you can hook up a device to a commlink and get wireless capability by proxy.

In SR4 this was mandatory. You connected all your devices to a router that throttled all your wireless communication. In SR5, this is not at all the case.

In SR4 your devices acted more like a wireless network devices connected to a single matrix hot-spot node.
In SR5 devices act more like blue-tooth devices (but with unlimited range), making matrix connections (and routing traffic for other matrix devices) on their own.

...What's the order of operation on that? If you have a standard datajack and are in an area with Noise Rating 3, does the datajack's wireless bonus still work (reducing the Noise to level 2 which would equal the DR for a standard datajack) or does the noise shut off the wireless bonus (and thus not grant the Noise Reduction?)
It apply it's noise reduction first.
Clarified by Aaron in the FAQ thread.

In my opinion the discusion about datajack is pointles. Even if it has wireless capabilities your martix persona would be made of glass, so advertising spam could kill it [i hope you were not crazy to sim or hot sim in such mode]. So you conect it to commlink as it is ment to work, and you will have nice firewall ;) [datajack has a 1 meter data ceble for this pourpose]
You can't use just a Data Jack to replace AR Gloves.
You can not use cold-sim or hot-sim VR with just a datajack.
You need a sim module.
Data Jack does not come with sim module nor can they be upgraded to fit one.

To get a sim module you need a cyberdeck, control rig or a commlink upgraded with a sim module.

You connect your datajack with your commlink wireless (not by wire).
This is SR5.
The cable is just there if you want to establish a direct connection with another device.
For example if you want to have a private mental conversation that can not be hacked.

Out of curiosity, where does that cable go when not used? Retracts back into your head?
Yes.
The data jack have a physical access port. Often on the side of your skull.
« Last Edit: <03-08-14/0739:09> by Xenon »