NEWS

March 2015 Grid Update

• 37 Replies

Knightmare

• Administrator
  • Newb
  • Black ICE Division
« on: <03-12-15/1115:34> »
Hi all! KM here with some exciting news: the forum board has been updated! ::insert woo hoo here::

So what does that mean chummer? Well, in addition to all of the backend goodies that will make the forum board load faster, work more efficiently and drop holy ICE on no-good interlopers like actual GOD, we've also added some front end modifications that should make your forum experience more...well...fun.

1. Pretty urls.
No more forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?/squigglysomethingorother=action. Now we have forums.shadowruntabletop.com/forum-business. Old ugly urls will still work just fine—just because you can't read it doesn't mean your deck can't—but the new url should make it easier to remember topics, boards, posts, etc. 

2. PM reporting.
Feeling harassed? Hate those late night PMs filled with runner rage and Humanis-level hate? Well worry no longer my friends! With Wuxing's new Personal Message Reporting Function you can safely rat offensive personal messages directly to the moderation staff for immediate action. So, if you're a sneaky git bent on chastising other forum members privately take notice. You've been warned.

3. Avatar sizing.
We've increased the size of personal avatars to 160 x 180. Why? Because mine looks so good and you're puny little avatars make my eyes hurt.

4. Login Security & Sessions
Ever notice you get dumped from the board after an hour? With our new Renraku Login Security that's a problem of the past. Forever logins are now more secure and better than ever. Just don't forget your password folks. The login system will lock you out for 60 minutes after 3 major missteps and a fourth one will send you into 24 hour territory. We've experienced way too many wannabe Clockworks's trying to geek our system, so we're putting on the brakes.

5. Tapatalk
Just kidding.

6. Suspicious BBC code & Spoiler Tags.
On the WYSIWYG editor there's a new button next to the Horizontal Rule. This is a BBC tag that will keep unwanted bots and spiders from collecting post-specific data. So if you want a URL or text hidden from machine eyes use it. Sorry, it won't hide your nuyen. Spoiler tags, nuff said. Huzzah to their return.

Fin.

One of the "things" we didn't do was update the forum's theme templates. While these themes are woefully out of date—for the most part—they're capable of running the forum software and modifications. However, there may be instances when a particular theme has some stylistic or post editor issue. We're sorry kiddies, but there's nothing we can really do about it at this time. Perhaps down the road we can re-approach. In the interim I'd say just switch themes, but we didn't get into the shadows to tell each other what to do...
« Last Edit: <03-12-15/1119:50> by Knightmare »

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-12-15/1121:06> »
5. Tapatalk
Just kidding.
Ouch, right in the heart, man.

Seriously, though, great work, and a huge thank you to everyone who works to keep the forums up and running.

Knightmare

• Administrator
  • Newb
  • Black ICE Division
« Reply #2 on: <03-12-15/1127:21> »
Ouch, right in the heart, man.

Seriously, though, great work, and a huge thank you to everyone who works to keep the forums up and running.

I mentioned in another thread that I'll consider Tapatalk in a few months. The door is not shut and I'm definitely not opposed to adding it—in fact I use it elsewhere—but I need some time to adequately track and review the forum changes for any problems, and to make sure I'm seeing the expected results.

Chip-truth, this forum has been hammered (and continues to get hammered) by a lot of interweb crap. Adding one more complication at this stage is premature and a recipe for worse problems down the road.

But like I said, if we're issue free for a few months—say summer-ish—I'll re-approach Tapatalk, but I'd much rather update your theme templates first.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #3 on: <03-12-15/1129:22> »
Thanks for this!
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-12-15/1201:13> »
Just a heads up, I went back and noticed that posts by users that I have on my ignore list aren't being ignored.  Previously, the post would show up as "You are ignoring this user's posts.  Click here to show."  Now the posts are just coming through.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-12-15/1227:35> »
Just a heads up, I went back and noticed that posts by users that I have on my ignore list aren't being ignored.  Previously, the post would show up as "You are ignoring this user's posts.  Click here to show."  Now the posts are just coming through.

Your ignore/ buddy lists got wiped.  So did mine. 

Knightmare

• Administrator
  • Newb
  • Black ICE Division
« Reply #6 on: <03-12-15/1232:31> »
Yup, the hooks removed the lists. I forgot to mention that. There might be one or two other temp wipes. I dumped all of the forum's cache and logs.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <03-12-15/1342:08> »
Odd, my ignore list is still intact.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <03-12-15/1531:40> »
Odd, my ignore list is still intact.

Yeah, but I can still see your ugly face!!!!  Just kidding - that was an inside joke.  :P

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-12-15/1630:12> »
Ignore lists don't seem to work anymore.   ???

Edit:  Found out that under Modify Profile => Look and Layout you have to check the box to hide messages from those on your ignore list. 
« Last Edit: <03-12-15/1850:45> by jim1701 »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #10 on: <03-12-15/1836:40> »
One of the "things" we didn't do was update the forum's theme templates. While these themes are woefully out of date—for the most part—they're capable of running the forum software and modifications. However, there may be instances when a particular theme has some stylistic or post editor issue. We're sorry kiddies, but there's nothing we can really do about it at this time. Perhaps down the road we can re-approach. In the interim I'd say just switch themes, but we didn't get into the shadows to tell each other what to do...
Once my job quiets down a bit, I'm going to take a hard look at the themes and see if I can't come up with some spiffy new ones.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <03-13-15/1317:28> »
As a forum administrator (not this forum obviously, but I run serveral others), I want to thank you for all you've done!  (And thank you for not using VB)
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <03-15-15/0122:46> »
Has anyone else noticed issues with hidden size tags being added to posts when using quotes or even when just copying and posting text into the message text box? 

[size=78%]This is what happens when I use the quote button and either just type text or try to copy and paste from somewhere else.[/size]

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <03-15-15/0130:25> »
I've noticed it, but it's totally random for me.  I have a different forum that I'm on for work, and for some reason on that forum, all my quotes and replies are in size 5 point.  Now that's a headache.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #14 on: <03-15-15/1001:45> »
That may be part of the theme you're using. It's usually a "thing" to resize quoted text for style purposes.