NEWS

Jackpointers/Shadowlanders/Whoever you want to know more about

• 176 Replies

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <11-17-11/1943:12> »
When Mirage was going by Psychotrope, she made five and killed a whole bunch of people. It turned out that to make otaku, specifically adult otaku, the subjects needed to have some sort of near-death experience.

Anyway, Mirage/Psychotrope turned five deckers—Red Wraith, Dark Father, Bloodyguts, Lady Death (AKA Hitomi Shiawase), and one other who I can never remember—in the Seattle LTG into otaku on March 19, 2060 when it took over the entire Seattle LTG for ten minutes. Deus' minions killed Dark Father and Bloodyguts. Shiawase was kidnapped but later returned. Red Wraith escaped (he is a badass) and is still alive and kicking in northern Europe.
« Last Edit: <11-17-11/2010:42> by James Meiers »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #31 on: <11-17-11/2036:26> »
Yeah, I never believed that Perri = Peregrine but, like I said, nothing was ever said that they weren't. ;)

I like that Red Wraith is still alive and kicking.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #32 on: <11-17-11/2045:30> »
Yeah. He gets name checked in Spy Games, p.96.

« Reply #33 on: <11-17-11/2053:53> »
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Kham! Heck, someone could take the Sons of Kham group as a contact. The story could maybe be listed as complete since, as an ork, he's possibly dead of old age by now.

Oh, the Anonymous Jackpoint poster, too.
Rule # 1: It's all about me!
Rule # 2: There is nothing that cannot be solved with swift and brutal violence!
Rule # 3: There is nothing that cannot be improved with chocolate!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #34 on: <11-17-11/2055:53> »
Well, that's a given, natch.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #35 on: <11-17-11/2141:54> »
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Kham! Heck, someone could take the Sons of Kham group as a contact. The story could maybe be listed as complete since, as an ork, he's possibly dead of old age by now.

Kham is, I think, dead.  Don't remember where I'd seen this though.

Heh

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #36 on: <11-17-11/2301:33> »
Last we heard, Kham was in an old orks home.  (Runner Havens, Page 99).
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Argent

• Chummer
  • Doh! Wrong ammo clip!
« Reply #37 on: <11-18-11/0010:26> »
Most everybody I would want to see has been posted already with one exception; Smokin' Jo. His posts in Paranormal Animals of Europe made me laugh and inspired me to use more paracritters in games.
Running the shadows since 1989.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #38 on: <11-18-11/0207:21> »
A character I'd like to see an SR4 update on would be Cinder (Renraku Arcology Shutdown, Threats 2). She was an Otaku present when Deus' minions attacked Shadowland and after the Shutdown she was targeted by Pax who said she could 'hear the ressonanace and the dissonance'.
Perri has that ability in the SR4A story, Happy Trails. And Perri has rotated through a ton of names.

I actually had to read this one completely; didn't think it was true.  Ah, well.  :)  Some people are just born unlucky.

I always thought Peregrine/Perri is the same as Fastjack's daughter, who is the same as the sysop at the Nexus. Partly because she gets away with calling him Jack in Spy Games, while Sticks gets booted.
Now, Perri, the technomancer SysAdmin at Denver's Nexus, is apparently the same Perri introduced in Target: Matrix to make the Otaku "public" to Shadowland there. Apparently this is FastJack's daughter, which makes all of Emergence and everything that MUCH more interesting in Jackpoint.

There's never been clarification that they aren't one and the same, and they're both about the same age (at least, the Perri from Target: Matrix in 2055 "sounds" like she's about 12). That would put them both at around 30 in 2073. And about 21 in 2064 when Crash 2.0 hit, which again seems like the right age since Perri's in (a) University at the time. But nothing says they are/aren't one and the same (at least nothing in the books or here I'm not that active on Dumpshock, so I don't know if anything was revealed there).

Just a point here -- Peregrine was 17 during the Arc Shutdown of 2059; if Perri was 12 in 2055, she'd've been 15-16.  Close in age, but the two are definitely not the same.

There's no way Peregrine is Perri. Remember, the first generation of otaku were forgotten, abandoned children who had no families. They made the Matrix their homes, and their tribes were their families. Also, at the time most otaku were concentrated in the Denver Data Haven. Worrying about her father would not be an issue because I doubt she ever knew her real father. If there were otaku in the SCIRE, they were Banded or they were the rare otaku a runner team going into the arc might have with them. Or they're Overwatch, who operated outside of the Arc.

Not ... exactly.  The Denver Data Haven was the most distinct (and thus semi-accepted as being 'the first') collection of them, back in the Denver: City of Shadows boxed set that's placed in 2055; by the time the Arcology closed its doors for the Wannabe's experiments, there were otaku worldwide.  Remember that Jay's background on Demonseed Elite (on SL6) was that he was originally from an otaku group in India; as well, there are canonical tribes in at least Boston at the time, and if the 'survivors' of broken tribes were recruited to make up the sub-groups of Overwatch (which, following the then-rules for tribes, is what they had to have been) it means that there needed to have been scores of otaku tribes worldwide.

IIRC, the DDH actually had two -- one of technoshamans, the other of cyberadepts.  They tended to keep apart, but didn't really dislike each other, per se.

I doubt FastJack is Perri's biological daughter. She doesn't even call him "dad" until the end of Happy Trails when he kills the piece of Jormungand trying to eat her.

This is one of the reasons why I actually think that Perri is Jack's biokid.  Her irreverence for him (specifically in calling him by his given handle) would be both a natural rebellion of a child which was abandoned (or even never known of) by their father, and the sort of professionalism / detachment of a Matrix-centric individual.  After all, naming real names or relationships can be Very Dangerous in the shadows.

However, note that the Jormungand here is a very, very limited one -- a baby, in fact.  I have no doubt that at the start, plenty of corporate deckers / decker teams waxed Jormungand,  And then it respawned, bigger and nastier than ever, the way it did with Fastjack.  The only reason he could put it down for good was that he was in a secured and isolated system that held the code egg.  If it hadn't, he'd've been eventually whacked as it grew beyond the limits of what he could have handled, into the colossal juggernaut that is described in System Failure.  You kill it, it respawns, bigger and nastier than before.

Of particular interest is the fact that this follows, in almost every particular, the story of Thor (old man, hammer -- which returns to him, eh?) battling the Wyrm Jörmungand at Ragnarök, the Doom of the Gods.  Thor is destined to slay the serpent by smashing its head, but will be poisoned by its venom, taking nine steps and dying as well, which is essentially what happens in "Happy Trails".  Pax, in this, plays Hela, who (oddly) welcomes him to Valaskjalf, Odin's hall of the slain, in which rests his high seat.  Would have made that Éljúđnir (Eljudnir), Hela's hall in Niflheim.  Also, Gunningagap is the primordial void between Niflheim (ice) and Muspell (fire), the void into which the rest of the universe is created.  While declaring that the IPO was 'Critical mass. Ground zero.' it would have made more sense to refer to the future event as being Ragnarök, during which all of what was old is destroyed, and after which the universe is created anew -- or at least transformed ...
« Last Edit: <11-18-11/0241:01> by The Wyrm Ouroboros »
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <11-18-11/0731:01> »
Aside from the usual suspects for JackPoint users (like Fastjack, dev/grl, etc.), older Shadowland users (Captain Chaos, members of the Denver Data Have, etc.), and some big names (Ehran, Buttercup, etc.) ... I'd like to see some glimpses into some of the "rank and file" Shadowrunners and what they post and where they post it (what has filled Shadowland's void?)...because it's fun to watch the noobs that survive grow into the prime runners and in 2031 I hope to get the newest Shadowrun book at be able to say "I remember this runner posting in a book that came out in 2012. Hey you kids! Git off mah lawn!"
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #40 on: <11-18-11/1202:19> »
I'd like to know what happened to some of the old posters you don't see as much, if at all. What happened to Nuyen Nick and SPD, for example? I love their information dumping in the sourcebooks.

I'd like to see more of Lyran. She doesn't seem to poke her head out of her enchanting shop much.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #41 on: <11-18-11/1457:08> »
Probably because that dragon is likely still pissed at her for taking a tooth.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #42 on: <11-18-11/1549:03> »
I'd like to know what happened to some of the old posters you don't see as much, if at all. What happened to Nuyen Nick and SPD, for example? I love their information dumping in the sourcebooks.

I'd like to see more of Lyran. She doesn't seem to poke her head out of her enchanting shop much.

NUyen Nick, Chromed Accountant, and the rest seem to have gotten more rare as the number of economics-trained writers thinned. :) I don't know if there are any at this time. I've had a class or three, but it isn't on my list of minors, let alone major.

(I will leave these two things here, however. You're welcome.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0nERTFo-Sk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQnarzmTOc

As for Lyran, she got an excellent write-up in Street Legends, where she wound up being a different character than I had in my head. I had her pegged as a human, instead of a Dwarf, not Awakened, failry small-time, and for some reason middle-aged or more. So, imagine my surprise when the book arrived and I took a gander. D'oh!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #43 on: <11-18-11/1658:03> »
Bah, as Breaking Bad has taught us, all we need to do is look it up on Wikipedia.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <11-18-11/1849:49> »
NUyen Nick, Chromed Accountant, and the rest seem to have gotten more rare as the number of economics-trained writers thinned. :) I don't know if there are any at this time. I've had a class or three, but it isn't on my list of minors, let alone major.

(I will leave these two things here, however. You're welcome.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0nERTFo-Sk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTQnarzmTOc

As for Lyran, she got an excellent write-up in Street Legends, where she wound up being a different character than I had in my head. I had her pegged as a human, instead of a Dwarf, not Awakened, failry small-time, and for some reason middle-aged or more. So, imagine my surprise when the book arrived and I took a gander. D'oh!
Lyran is in 10 JackPointers.

I haven't really had much of a reason to discuss economics, but also my concentration was in international trade and macroeconomics. I don't have the aptitude for financial tricks, as evidenced by how badly Corporate Tax Law kicked my ass. I'm also not inclined to spend word count lecturing at the reader, though I did throw some walls of text at them in early drafts of CT because I do know about dirty tricks in politics.