NEWS

How life influences our SR.... (Don't read if you live in Oregon!)

• 6 Replies

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« on: <10-08-19/0352:57> »
So,

I have been away for a few months working in the middle of No Where, BC. at the Mica dam doing an install...

Since this install requires me to directly work with both NERC officials, AND government employees... you can imagine how this went.. ("So, of Monday we have a meeting, for the meeting, about the meeting for the meeting, that we will be having on Tuesday. Tuesday we have 6 meetings to cover the details of Wednesday's meetings.. which we will get into details about on the meeting on thursday.... maybe next week we can do some actual work. After we have a meeting to detail the work, that is." SHOOT. ME. NOW.)

But in my absolute frustration, random boredom between our much needed meetings. I got to do things...

like sit on top of the dam crest (which is actually a road)... and look 800m down into basically the start the of the Columbia river, fed by the Mica Spill way....

And I started to do some simple, wild, crazy, idle maths. Would you like to do some with me?

Lake Kinbasket, which is on the other side of the Mica dam is roughly 150km long, and averages 1 km wide, and is 700m deep on average.

1 cubic meter of water weighs 1 ton.
Uncontrolled volumes of liquid can travel up to 180km/hr...

Sleep tight!
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

ZeroSum

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <10-08-19/0443:01> »
Do you need a handyman for anything? That sounds peaceful. I'm on my way.

Also, sounds like a good idea for a run. Prevent / cause a dam collapse. Portland needs a flush!

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <10-08-19/1112:58> »
In SR, all it would take is one toxic mage with an axe to grind.

There are 18 hydro dams along the Columbia River accounting for 44% of North Americian energy production....

If Mica were to ever let go..... half of Oregon would be scraped to the bedrock in the resulting trillion tones of water and waste that would be released.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-08-19/1435:51> »
Wasn't this an active concern during World War II? "If the Japanese are smart, they won't bomb Boeing, they'll take out Grand Coulee Dam and let 9 million cubic meters of water do the rest." (Not an actual quote.) Not only would the environmental damage be catastrophic, but it would seriously curtail all of the downstream dependencies on hydroelectric power, like the smelters producing metals to support the war effort.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #4 on: <10-08-19/1721:14> »
Wasn't this an active concern during World War II? "If the Japanese are smart, they won't bomb Boeing, they'll take out Grand Coulee Dam and let 9 million cubic meters of water do the rest." (Not an actual quote.) Not only would the environmental damage be catastrophic, but it would seriously curtail all of the downstream dependencies on hydroelectric power, like the smelters producing metals to support the war effort.

It should have been a concern, given that the British did it to the Germans https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise#targetText=Operation%20Chastise%20was%20an%20attack,bomb%22%20developed%20by%20Barnes%20Wallis.
(granted, the dams were less humungous, so the casualties were 'only' in the low four figures) 

Seras

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <10-08-19/1725:18> »

The allies did this to the germans during WW II . They bombed the Edertalsperre with a specially designed round bomb, that bounced on water....Why you ask ?

Because it would flood the town I grew up in Kassel ( where lots of Warproduction was going on...)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edersee_Dam
I apologise for my posts beeing weird to read, I am fluent in english, but almost never write in english anymore :-(

Seras

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <10-08-19/1726:02> »
Damm too slow  ;)
I apologise for my posts beeing weird to read, I am fluent in english, but almost never write in english anymore :-(