NEWS

6e Technomancer Challenge

• 31 Replies

Tkeela

• Newb
« on: <01-05-20/2141:28> »
I don't know how to build a 6e Technomancer without saving karma for after the first run if that's even allowed?:(
I was searching for a character or two to learn from, but have not seen any posted, was wondering if some non newbs would be up for a posting a Technomancer build or two just for fun? Time and life permitting of course?
If the idea is to post and ask for critique, i'm weary of trolls and am to shy to do it.
So thanks if you can:)

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-06-20/1226:36> »
Basic 6E Technomancer.  Attributes A (honestly all 6E characters are probably Attributes A), Skills or Metatype B then C (whichever see below), Resonance D, Resources E.

Probably Bad Debit and a 4 or 5 Karma on Nuyen.

Analytical Mind Positive Quality. 

Puppeteer and Editor are your go to Complex Forms. 

If you're really just looking to play a Decker without a Deck you can let your Resonance sit at 1 or 2 (Metatype C).  If you're looking to go full on Matrix Wizard you'll want Metatype B and get your Resonance to 6.  You'll want Edge to force the GM to re-roll successes on the multiple opposed checks that are required to do any Host Hacking.

Max out Logic and get Intuition as high as you can, Charisma and Willpower are also important, but don't neglect your physical stats.  Max out your Cracking Skill, then Electronics.  If full Matrix Wizard get Compiling.  Spend Karma to pick up a point in Athletics, Engineering, Influence, Con and Perception when you run out of skill points.  Pick up your Specializations in Cracking and Electronics with Karma.

All good Technomancers do drugs.  Cram, Psyche, Jazz, Kamikaze, Novacoke.  Grab your Hello Kitty backpack full of party favors and make friends.

Gear.  Armored Jacket, crappy vehicle, fake SIN, Commlink.

Advancement, you'll probably want the Echo that lets your Persona create PAN first.  After that, whatever amuses you.

Tkeela

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <01-06-20/1343:24> »
From the bottom of my heart thank you Hobbes:)
I was playing around and followed as suggested, especialy the complex forms. Thank you:)
I had some advancement question...
1) Can a TM skinlink a RCC? post living persona Echo?
2) Is the complex form "Emulate Autosoft" truly at Data Processing rating? Can that be done beyond a drones "pilot" rating?

Thank you:)

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-06-20/1524:34> »
1. Yes, although a TM gains no benefit from Skinlink with an RCC.  A TM can use an RCC just fine without one.  When you're trying to figure out how a TM works mechanically just figure they have a free no essence Data Jack and Commlink already built in.  That is more or less what a Resonance score does, along with Complex Forms and Sprites, and a few other things  : )

And by use an RCC I mean use it to form a PAN with Drones / Vehicles in it and issue commands and share Autosofts loaded on the RCC, protect the Drones with the RCCs Firewall...  The Technomancer will still have a Living Persona doing Matrix and Technomancer things.  You won't be able to Jump In to a Drone or Vehicle until you get the appropriate TM tricks or Rigger Augmentations.

2. Yes and pretty sure Yes.  Although even if you have an RCC you won't be able to "share Autosofts" from this particular Complex Form if I recall the wording correctly. 

A TM Drone Rigger should skip the RCC IMO.  Just get the Echo to form a PAN, slave your Drone to your Living Persona.  Use Sprites and Stupid TM Tricks to make one Drone really, really awesome.  That might just be me though, no particular mechanical reasoning other than it's the easiest and most direct thing for a TM to do.

Tkeela

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <01-06-20/1756:00> »
That's so awesome:)
Thank you
<3

rackhir

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <01-06-20/2307:02> »
Something I noticed is that an elf techonmancer who takes Exceptional Attribute (charisma) and has at least 4 resonance can easily reach an attack rating of 13.  The damage value on a data spike is (attack)/2 round up, so that's a DV of 7.  Seems pretty beefy.

Not really sure how useful that is in general, but with a 9 charisma that technomancer might also make a decent face.  Probably need skills B to pull that off.

dragrubis

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <01-07-20/1139:02> »
Technochallenge build a mainly technomancer with working side skill
Techno face
Techno sam
Techno what ever...

In previous version mancers were the tenth tire of the Van

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-07-20/1612:35> »
6E the Data Spike Techno Elf build was discussed in another thread somewhere.  Very Lulzy.

6E Technomancers are basically in line with other 6E characters in regards to secondary dice pools.  Which is an improvement for Technomancers from 5E to 6E, and a moderate downgrade for everyone else. 

Like I said, if you're good being a Decker without a Deck and skip Sprites and many Complex Forms, Attributes A, Skills B, Meta C, Resonance D, Resources E, and you're in pretty good shape.  You don't have Magic or Augments to buff your secondary skills, but your Hello Kitty Backpack full of party favors for every occasion is always an option.  Bump up your Resonance a couple points, burn out a little bit with some odds and ends....

6E Technomancers are in far better shape than 5E CRB Technomancers.

dmetzkayak

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <01-07-20/1622:56> »
The concept of this character is to use the complex form Emulate to provide remote controlled drones with a dice pool of 16 plus. As your character grows, she/he can continue to add drones, all with will have 16 plus dice in perception, Electronic warfare, evasion (defense tests), athletics, stealth and attack dice.

The apocalyptic build for this would be 18 Nissan Samurai drones with assault rifles all being remote controlled through a control rig, resulting in each Technomancer control action, to net 18 sets of 16 attack dice. It is difficult to hit the drones as 16 dice on a defense test is solid. The drones would also be able to infiltrate and perceive threats on par with the best threats.

This is the only viable drone rigger build I have seen in 6e thus far. It is also a little OP, so check with your GM before playing. Also, consideration of how to get them transported to the run would also have to be made. Ironically only one such drone would be needed to tip the scales in combat for most entry level runs.

Neo
METATYPE: DWARF
 3,  5,  4,  2,  6,  7 (10),  5,  4, EDG 1,  5, ESS 5.3
Initiative/Actions: 9+1D6/1 Major, 2 Minor
Condition Monitor (P/S): 10/11
Defense Rating: 6

Active Skills: Biotech 5 (First Aid +2), Electronics 5, Engineering 5, Perception 1, Tasking 6 (Compiling +2)
Knowledge Skills: Aerospace Technology, Automobile Models, Espionage Techniques, Hacker Groups, Security Systems, Tech Companies, Weapons Manufacturers
Languages: English (Native)
Qualities: Exceptional (Logic), Focused Concentration (3), Honorbound (Bushido), Impaired (4) (Strength), In Debt (Principal 40,000¥, Interest 4,000¥), Incompetent (Con), Thermographic Vision, Toxin Resistance
Complex Forms: Emulate (Clearsight) (7), Emulate (Electronic Warfare) (7), Emulate (Evasion) (7), Emulate (Nissan Samurai Maneuvering) (7), Emulate (Nissan Samurai Stealth) (7), Emulate (Targeting (AK-97)) (7)
Contacts: Fixer (C4/L4), Mechanic (C4/L4), Mr. Johnson (C4/L4)
Augmentations:
   Cerebral Booster (3)
   Sleep Regulator
Vehicles:
   Nissan Samurai [Handling 3/4, Accel 10, Spd Int 10, Tp Spd 30, Body 6, Armor 6, Pilot 3, Sensor 2]
      Gear:
         Rigger Interface
Gear:
   Antidote Patch x5
   Armor Clothing
      Chemical Protection (1)
      Cold Resistance (1)
      Electricity Resistance (1)
      Fire Resistance (1)
   Biomonitor
   Chemical Protection (1)
   Cold Resistance (1)
   Electricity Resistance (1)
   Fire Resistance (1)
   Gas Mask
   Grease w/ Fake License (6), Fake License (6), Fake License (6), Fake License (6), Fake SIN (6), (1 month) Middle Lifestyle
   Helmet w/ Flare Compensation, Image Link, Low-Light Vision, Ultrasound Link
   Medkit (6)
   Medkit Supplies x5
   Meta Link
   Satellite Link
   Shop, Engineering
   Stealth Tags x10
   Stim Patch (6) x5
   Tool Kit, Engineering
   Transys Eidolon
   Trauma Patch x5
Starting Nuyen: 3,245¥

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at https://www.wolflair.com
Shadowrun © 2005-2019 The Topps Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Shadowrun is a registered trademark of The Topps Company, Inc.

dmetzkayak

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <01-07-20/1657:08> »
Thnxs Stainless Steel, that is def. how the rules regarding autosofts worked in the 5e rulebook. My guess is that most GMs would agree with your judgement.

The 6e rules do not mention the value maxing out at 6, instead the rule book says the maximum value is set to the technomancer's current Data Processing rating. Page 203 cover autosoft rules, they leave out any mention of a maximum. The character in question has a Data Processing rating of 15 (10 logic + 5 res)

Page 191 covers the rules for emulate and specifically state that "This form can be purchased multiple times; each time you can choose 1 program to run. Includes auto-softs, whose rating equals the technomancer’s current Data Processing rating" 

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-07-20/1658:02> »
eh, I deleted my comment.  Looks like as of 6we, they did not put a cap on the rating limit.  Very interesting possibilities, since Autosofts don't have to be at or lower than the Pilot rating.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <01-07-20/1737:09> »
How are you sustaining that many Complex Forms for a single drone, much less a dozen plus?  At a certain point in time you've got so many penalties you can't scrape up a single dice for Threading another CF.

And yes.  Buff the heck out of a single Drone.  Throw lots of dice.  Honestly not a big deal as fragile as drones are.

Rigger with appropriate stat boosters is going to have similar dice pools on a single drone (either Jumped in or directly controling.)  and will be able to use an RCC to run multiple killer robots with smaller dice pools.  I haven't played around with drone dice pools but when you're firing off a half dozen High Explosive Grenades I don't think it really matters.   ;D

In general the squad of killer robots is going to be table dependent.  The GM/Players will need to buy in that they're playing an RTS game with a dozen plus pets.  The Rigger will totally dominate combat time, unless the Mage brings along a three pack of invincible Samurai/Wizards to compete.   ;)    (Summoning, also totally broken if you want it to be).

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-07-20/1745:08> »
It's not a requirement in the CRB that swarms of drones resolve their combat action as grunt groups, but that's how I'd require it when I run :D

(ditto if the mage has a swarm of low force spirits, for that matter...)
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <01-07-20/1757:15> »
If they're all firing Grenade Launchers I'm not sure dice pools matter.   : )

I can't imagine the security response to a dozen machine guns is going to somehow be less than a walking barrage of grenades.  Either would be "Harshest fastest response available".

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <01-07-20/1807:01> »
If they're all firing Grenade Launchers I'm not sure dice pools matter.   : )

I can't imagine the security response to a dozen machine guns is going to somehow be less than a walking barrage of grenades.  Either would be "Harshest fastest response available".

I'm thinking an EMP device that fries all drones within that city block...