NEWS

Sprawl Gangers???

• 26 Replies

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <07-26-14/0314:52> »
I wouldn't bet on it.  Something being made of white plastic doesn't mean it's really very much like the Bones line, and even with the Bones line, the "no priming" claim is a little shaky, all depending on what paint you use (I've had to prime all of mine to get anything halfway even and smooth, for instance).

So...yeah.  I wouldn't bet on it.

Well, that's a bit disappointing. What brand of paint have you had the best luck with, when painting the Bones figures?

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #16 on: <07-26-14/0555:04> »
I wouldn't bet on it.  Something being made of white plastic doesn't mean it's really very much like the Bones line, and even with the Bones line, the "no priming" claim is a little shaky, all depending on what paint you use (I've had to prime all of mine to get anything halfway even and smooth, for instance).

So...yeah.  I wouldn't bet on it.

Well, that's a bit disappointing. What brand of paint have you had the best luck with, when painting the Bones figures?
I've based mine (Army Painter brand primers, and I mostly use P3 paints).  I've heard -- all just secondhand, so don't hold me to it, but that "secondhand" is a regular gaming buddy who's gone to several Reaper events here in Dallas, so it's not just some random internet stuff -- that the "no priming" thing is mostly true with Reaper's own brand of paints.  They do go on pretty well even without primer, and you can paint up the Bones line pretty okay with 'em.  Some fancy-schmancy chemical stuff, I don't have to understand it to believe him.  ;)  But yeah, for my Bones minis, I've just sucked it up and painted 'em like I do everything else.

Now, as a quick reminder, none of this is me saying your speculation/hope is misguided.  For all I know, the Sprawl Ganger minis might be the same sort of thing, where (theoretically) no base coat is required.  I've been involved with other aspects, not the miniature production side of things, so I'm certainly not officially saying anything, here.  Just...I don't want'cha to get your hopes up, just based on them being white plastic, y'know?  ;)

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <07-26-14/0912:35> »
Pretty much what Critias said ;)

Also note that these are rapid prototypes (assuming 3D printed), production samples, so expect the material to be different. I'm curious as to whether CGL is going with injection molded plastics, or cast resin/plastic. I "think" most of the BT and Leviathans minis were injection molded, but not sure if the costs and volume will be same for the Sprawl Gangers minis.

SmilinIrish

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <07-26-14/1427:56> »
I was assuming they would be prepainted.  Oh well, didn't really have the cash for a new minis game anyway.
Speech  Thought   Matrix/Comms

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <07-26-14/1518:30> »
Pretty sure that CGL has confirmed that will not be pre-painted minis. However, I believe that in one of the last updates, they indicated that the minis would be released in smaller "packs". Not exactly sure what the actual release plan is, but there might be some lower price points for buying in.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <07-26-14/2127:42> »

Also note that these are rapid prototypes (assuming 3D printed), production samples, so expect the material to be different. I'm curious as to whether CGL is going with injection molded plastics, or cast resin/plastic. I "think" most of the BT and Leviathans minis were injection molded, but not sure if the costs and volume will be same for the Sprawl Gangers minis.

I am not sure, but I would be surprised if they went with cast resin/plastics. If they are expecting any volume of sales, cast miniatures are
going to be slower to make. Admittedly, this is just speculation based on what I have heard from other companies(such as: despite moving
production to their texas facility, Reaper still had to hire a Chinese company to make their bones for their kickstarters due to the number of
minis exceeded what they could do with their spin-casters in Texas. On top of that is all the problems that GW ran into with their
now-seemingly-discontinued Finecast line)

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <07-27-14/0652:13> »

Now, as a quick reminder, none of this is me saying your speculation/hope is misguided.  For all I know, the Sprawl Ganger minis might be the same sort of thing, where (theoretically) no base coat is required.  I've been involved with other aspects, not the miniature production side of things, so I'm certainly not officially saying anything, here.  Just...I don't want'cha to get your hopes up, just based on them being white plastic, y'know?  ;)

No worries, as long as I have an idea of what to expect it's all good. I have a brush on primer I prefer, so I'll just go ahead and use that rather than taking a chance on the paint coming off later (and on the Bones figures as well).

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <07-27-14/1026:08> »
I am not sure, but I would be surprised if they went with cast resin/plastics. If they are expecting any volume of sales, cast miniatures are going to be slower to make.

Completely agree, but there are big differences between the "hard" plastics you see from model manufactured and GW and the "softer" plastics from Privateer Press, Mantic and others. Not sure if any one is better than the other (though I do like the finer detail with hard plastics), really more function of the back end economics (volumes), sculpting and mold design. One of the nice things about resin is that the amount of detail that can be captured is insane...but likely way beyond the scope of this sculpts. Of course, I've now pretty much covered my limit of actual knowledge on this...sigh... ::)

Sipowitz

• Omae
  • Smile for the camera
« Reply #23 on: <07-29-14/0304:56> »

I am not sure, but I would be surprised if they went with cast resin/plastics. If they are expecting any volume of sales, cast miniatures are
going to be slower to make. Admittedly, this is just speculation based on what I have heard from other companies(such as: despite moving
production to their texas facility, Reaper still had to hire a Chinese company to make their bones for their kickstarters due to the number of
minis exceeded what they could do with their spin-casters in Texas. On top of that is all the problems that GW ran into with their
now-seemingly-discontinued Finecast line)
Injection molding has a high initial cost. molds can be any wheres from 3k-150k

You can get a complete metal spin cast setup(2 casters) for around 12k. Molds are 15-90$ a pop.

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #24 on: <06-22-20/1255:08> »
For those who felt excited about Sprawlgangers,
can I interest you in a bright, shiny, new, Gangs of the Undercity?
I'm a Shadowrun writer and developer, and a long time wargamer, and our new company, Fragging Unicorns, has decided to quench the thirst of those longing for a cyberpunk/fantasy skirmish game. I'd love for you to check it out. Kickstarter launches July 15.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/285099/gangs-undercity

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <05-05-22/0430:49> »
Has Sprawl Gangers been officially canceled yet? Or is it still being worked on to some degree?

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #26 on: <05-20-22/2213:30> »
They did actually release the SR miniatures for Sprawl Gangers on the GCL store.

I ordered a set, and am a bit sad that Sledge's sword is bent. But it's still pretty cool. I think there was also suppose to be a female Holloweener with a gun or molotov or something. But not included with this set.

I also believe the rules were released online since the project has been abandoned by CGL. But I never saw a link, only remember people talking about it.