NEWS

Next purchase?

• 19 Replies

grimjaws

• Chummer
« on: <04-05-11/1530:15> »
So, lucky day today, I found an old BN gift card and have decided to treat myself to a Shadowrun book. I have the main rule book, the four core supplements (Street Magic, Unwired, Augmentation, Arsenal), Runner's Companion, Seattle 2072 and Almanac of the Sixth World. I'd really like to pick up Attitude but it is not in the BN database (yet?). I guess I am suffering a bit from choice paralysis. I really like the setting and do not require a good book to be filled with rules. For now the main contenders are the Corporate Guide or Running Wild, though I am intreagued by the "exotic" locales of Feral Cities and War.
SR1+ SR2 SR3 SR4++ SR5+++ h b++ B-- UB- IE- RN--- !W sa++ ma++ sh+++ ad+++ m+++ e- o++ t++ gm+ M- P-

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <04-05-11/1550:18> »
I can't advise anyone to buy War!.  (Sorry folks, but the only reason I was able to get through it was a 9-hour stay in an ER Waiting room.).

Feral Cities is good if your group travels.  Running Wild is good if you like critters, but is weak on Shadowtalk (A major minus to some people.).  Corporate Guide is good to get a feel for the Megas as they are in the 2070s, especially the new kid on the block, Horizon.

Who is just too damned squeaky clean!

Edit:  Corporate Guide also has a first for an RPG Book:  Morning Sickness in digital format!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Pathica

• Newb
  • Eats paint chips
« Reply #2 on: <04-05-11/1900:26> »
I'm a die hard for Seattle, and as said; Feral Cities is mainly for groups that travel a lot. I say it isn't a must have. (though I have it just to read :P ) Hated the Chicago update in it, but that's a rant for another thread...

Running Wild I loved. Many times the fact SR has paranormal creatures is over looked, having the book around reminds you to use them!

Corporate Guide can help with setting/mood, giving the corps you hit more 'flavor' for your group.

War: Meh.

Attitude:  Don't have it, want it, need it, must have it... *Foams at mouth*
~There is no gravity, the world just sucks.~

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #3 on: <04-05-11/1927:24> »
So, lucky day today, I found an old BN gift card and have decided to treat myself to a Shadowrun book. I have the main rule book, the four core supplements (Street Magic, Unwired, Augmentation, Arsenal), Runner's Companion, Seattle 2072 and Almanac of the Sixth World. I'd really like to pick up Attitude but it is not in the BN database (yet?). I guess I am suffering a bit from choice paralysis. I really like the setting and do not require a good book to be filled with rules. For now the main contenders are the Corporate Guide or Running Wild, though I am intreagued by the "exotic" locales of Feral Cities and War.

Attitude is, I think, at the printers but there's no release date for it yet (after years of missing release dates at FASA and FanPro, they finally wised up and just don't give adate until they know for certain they can hit it).  The down side to that is that without a firm release date, it won't show up in a lot of stores databases yet.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #4 on: <04-05-11/2002:32> »
Attitude (I have the PDF) is an excellent Fluff Book, as is Vice.

Attitude for the world in general, Vice for Organized Crime.  And Disorganized Crime.  And everyone else that is an Aztechnology competitor.  ZING!   :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Wesley Street

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <04-06-11/0937:55> »

You'll get more use out of Running Wild than Corporate Guide, Feral Cities or War!. But Feral Cities would be my second choice for the awesome Chicago write-up.

Raventrickster

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <04-06-11/1424:09> »
Well they had print copies of Attitude show up at Catalyst HQ today according to the Facebook page, which means a street date announcement should be up within the week most likely.

grimjaws

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <04-06-11/1612:34> »
Well they had print copies of Attitude show up at Catalyst HQ today according to the Facebook page, which means a street date announcement should be up within the week most likely.
Oh, then I think I'll hold off for just a couple of days and see what is up. Otherwise I think I'll pick up Running Wild as I really do like the out of doors and one day want to run a fairly wilderness focused game, potentially centered on the Cascade Orks or the Black Forest Troll Kingdom (looking to pick up some German supplements eventually as well).
SR1+ SR2 SR3 SR4++ SR5+++ h b++ B-- UB- IE- RN--- !W sa++ ma++ sh+++ ad+++ m+++ e- o++ t++ gm+ M- P-

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #8 on: <04-06-11/1725:32> »
Two great tastes of Trog that are even better together!  :D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

DesVoeux

• Newb
  • Accipe Hoc
« Reply #9 on: <04-09-11/0125:24> »
If you haven't already bought Running Wild, I'll vote for Corporate Guide. It will be the most useful, as the megacorps are nearly always going to factor into your campaigns. Running Wild would be my second choice, as it adds a lot of flavor the Sixth World.

Feral Cities was so-so, and just stay away from War!. Feral Cities is basically Runner Havens redux, in cities you're much less likely to visit, let alone base a campaign in. War! is basically the Bogotá section of Feral Cities on steroids with surprising little about wars. (None of the other "warzones" featured are actually at war, for instance.)
"No one starts a war; or rather, no one in his senses ought to do so; without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it." - Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz

grimjaws

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <04-12-11/1101:02> »
Thanks for all of the input. I finally decided to go with the Corporate Guide, as much as I like the wilderness, most players around here are much more citified. I'll be ordering Attitude and Running Wild from my FLGS soon. The Runner's Toolkit a bit later, and then on to some of the German language books from Pegasus.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #11 on: <04-12-11/1109:52> »
Enjoy!  Attitude is a really fun read!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #12 on: <04-12-11/1131:08> »
If you in Seattle then the Seattle hardcover is a must.  I vote if it's between Running Wild and Corporate guide it's Running Wild all the way.  Nothing in corporate guide that makes me say must have (on my shelf but I'm a completest).  Attitude great if you need inspiration.
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

Wesley Street

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <04-19-11/0948:43> »
If you can find a copy in a used bookstore or on eBay I'd recommend picking up Corporate Shadowguide. While it's 20 years out-of-date and takes a broader view, a more thorough exploration of how SR corporations work, including the legal insanity of extraterritoriality, you will never find.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #14 on: <04-19-11/1010:24> »
Legal insanity is right!

"There's AA fire coming from that Parkade!  Why does a Parkade have CIWS?"  "Oh, yeah, I keep forgetting that place is owned by Lone Star and they strictly enforce their no fly zone..."

#ThisTaserGoesTo11