NEWS

new to tabletop RPGs

• 19 Replies

Ashley002

• Newb
« on: <01-05-11/1807:42> »
heyo all, im new to tabletop rpgs, never played one before and i wanna start playing shadowrun but ive absolutely no idea on how to play and everything is so confusing :(  please help :(

SpiderWord

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <01-05-11/1941:03> »
Best things you can do is to look for an active group. Find it, get in and learn. Simply play. It's easiest way and I presume that most roleplayers started in that way. Goodluck!
"Where's the Dragon?" *Stomped*

Switch

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <01-05-11/1952:50> »
ive been involved with sr for a few years both playing and gming any specific questions feel free to private message :)       XxswitchxX

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <01-05-11/2036:43> »
Welcome Ashley!

If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask away. As for where to start, here's some quickstart rules to get you and your friends started.

Wyldknight

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <01-05-11/2256:49> »
Do you know of anyone who would be interested in playing? Gaming stores are a good place to look if there are any near by.

Ashley002

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <01-05-11/2323:25> »
Do you know of anyone who would be interested in playing? Gaming stores are a good place to look if there are any near by.

well i have a fair few friends so i could ask them if they want to play but i know of no local hadowrun players, i guess id just have to teach my friends the rules (once i learn them of course :))

oh and btw thanks for the quickstart guide, its told me everything i need to know :)

also what things do i need to play? books, how many dice etc, thanks :)
« Last Edit: <01-05-11/2327:06> by Ashley002 »

Wyldknight

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <01-06-11/0121:29> »
All you technically need is the core Shadowrun 4th Edition rule book. After that you can get the books that expand on these rules. Those are Augmentation (for implants, medical rules, nanotech, and genetech), Street Magic (it's all in the name, this expands on magical stuff), Unwired (For all matrix/technomancer needs), and Arsenal (rules on modifying weapons, vehicles, and drones. More weapons, vehicles/drones, and gear.) Runners Companion offers a bunch of new options when it comes to life style rules, playable races, and qualities but some of the stuff should be kept from the players until they have a better gasp of the rules.

My advice is run a test campaign where you all learn the system and how you like to play it. If the players want to use stuff they couldn't before from RC then do a "retcon" of sorts where they can remake the characters a little to give them access to that stuff and play like it was always like that. Making completely new characters can be a pain after all.

Everyone should probably have at least 12 dice with them. That's not hard to find. All you need besides that are character sheets, something to keep track of information during the game, a place to play, and some willing players.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-06-11/0332:58> »
And I would adviice to Start with a very easy adventure
Food Fight would be my recommendation

HougH!
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #8 on: <01-06-11/0438:46> »
I'd go a step farther. Use the Quick Start with premade characters the first time. Gives you a rough overview and you know what to expect. Use Food Fight the first time you're comfortable letting people make their own characters.

Ashley002

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <01-06-11/0653:43> »
thanks guys :) so i only need the rulebook and food fight (and a heck load of dice xD)? anyone know a good english site where i can get the books for cheap? they are quite expensive on amazon (£20) each and im kind of on a budget so any suggestions would be good :)

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #10 on: <01-06-11/0734:27> »
And I would adviice to Start with a very easy adventure
Food Fight would be my recommendation

HougH!
Medicineman
What Meds said. For a good idea how the adventure might play out I posted a short story of how our Food Fight went!

I truly think it will give you things you'll remember for years to come!

???Fizzy Meat ??? Thats all I have to say about that!
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #11 on: <01-06-11/0901:16> »
About 12 six-sided dice. I'd recommend just picking up the Core Rulebook and hold off on the others until you get more into the game. If you want to get the books for cheaper, they are available in PDF form on BattleCorps and DriveThruRPG.

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <01-06-11/0916:15> »
Have a look to see if there's a FLGS* in your area, and go into there; it might not be any cheaper, but you'll probably meet some people there who might be interested in playing Shadowrun with you and could be really helpful.

*: friendly local gaming store
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Wolfboy

• Omae
  • life sucks, deal with it
« Reply #13 on: <01-06-11/1008:17> »
ebay and half priced books.com could be good online sources for used material.
May god grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the firepower to make the difference.

Suicide is never the answer, now homicide on the other hand, that has posibilities.

7.62 Russian, when it absolutely has to be done under budget

ssjevot

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <01-06-11/1012:18> »
I'd recommend getting the Anniversary Edition of the Core Rulebook.

That's this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Shadowrun-20th-Anniversary-Catalyst-Game/dp/1934857319/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294326667&sr=8-1

Although you can use the older version, the Anniversary Edition is one of the best Shadowrun products ever produced.