NEWS

Upcoming Shadowrun releases

• 1367 Replies

Boneguard

• Newb
« Reply #1245 on: <07-10-20/0918:34> »
"I like the idea of meta variants being in mini sourcebooks like this"

Why?

This seems a naked cash grab as now you have to buy a ton of small, relatively expensive books to get all the meta-variant options instead of you know, doing what shadowrun has always done and place all the metavariants into a single book at a lower total cost?

That is a valid point and having everything under one header is convinient especially for a gamemaster or a play that enjoys playing a variety of metatype.

However, if we look at it from someone like me who usually play dwarves or orks (or whatever preferred metatype/metasentient) where having all of them is, in a way, a "waste" as it is not being used. So being able to buy a product that offers me the metavariants that I need without those that are of no interest to me is pretty useful and that way the product I own are getting fully used.

There are Pros and cons in both approches
« Last Edit: <07-10-20/1239:52> by Boneguard »

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #1246 on: <07-10-20/1024:33> »
I think that, net, I'm happy to see them try something new for those really fringe rules like meta-variants.

SITZKRIEG

• Newb
« Reply #1247 on: <07-10-20/1152:05> »
I'm a bit torn as I can see the benefit from both sides of the argument as I've sat on each depending on the edition/my involvement with Shadowrun.  Back when I was buying every core book during 2nd/3rd/4th editions, it would have annoyed me that they released these types of rules (specifically the variant meta rules) as individual bite sized PDFs first instead of with a single advanced core print rulebook.  With me recently just getting interested again in SR with 6e (after only buying the main rulebook during 5th) and specifically being interested in trog characters, this release in particular works for me right now.  I can't help but think though that they're doing more for their own reasons in that they can get more regular income for smaller amounts of effort/cost via this style of release as opposed to bigger one time payment physical books.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1248 on: <07-10-20/1208:27> »
I can't help but think though that they're doing more for their own reasons in that they can get more regular income for smaller amounts of effort/cost via this style of release as opposed to bigger one time payment physical books.

Of course they are. They are a company after all. And a particularly unethical one at the top, due Loren Coleman.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

SITZKRIEG

• Newb
« Reply #1249 on: <07-10-20/1316:46> »
I can't comment on that but I can't help but get the impression that 6e isn't particularly popular even by modern SR standards.  I've mainly lurked and occasionally participated in discussions on both small and large completely independent forums and the response is at best meh.  Even my interest in 6e has been waning in preference to Anarchy that I'll be testing out first with some local players (along with other cyberpunk rulesets in case we don't enjoy the experience). 

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1250 on: <07-10-20/1328:43> »
Meh, I'd still go SR6 over SR5 any day.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1251 on: <07-10-20/1427:06> »

Why?

This seems a naked cash grab as now you have to buy a ton of small, relatively expensive books to get all the meta-variant options instead of you know, doing what shadowrun has always done and place all the metavariants into a single book at a lower total cost?

Bite sized chunks ahead of a full sourcebook suits me fine... if I can present my players with more options I’ll be able to lure them away from SR5 a little faster  ::) :o ;D
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1252 on: <07-10-20/1602:57> »

Why?

Bite sized chunks ahead of a full sourcebook suits me fine... if I can present my players with more options I’ll be able to lure them away from SR5 a little faster  ::) :o ;D
Give in to the dark side... 8)

SITZKRIEG

• Newb
« Reply #1253 on: <07-10-20/1627:31> »
Give in to the dark side... 8)

Once you start down the DR/AR path, forever will it dominate your destiny.   The Dark Side of 6e is a pathway to many mechanics some consider to be unnatural.  :)

Sorry, couldn't resist the Star Wars joke.  Like what you like in all seriousness.  If it works for you and others then I'm happy it does (no sarcasm). 

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1254 on: <07-10-20/1638:24> »
SR6 fights flow way faster than SR5 fights and utter newbies quickly get used to the AR-DR thing, plus I'm working on tools to make it even faster to execute. So yeah, I love SR5 and I love SR6, but I know which edition is best for drawing in the newbies.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #1255 on: <07-10-20/1957:33> »
From the perspective of the Brand something is better then nothing. Cash grabs are as old Unearthed Arcana, no shame in it.
But 6e ain't the dark side, it's the road no where. But please do let me know when all those newbies pulled in by how easy 6e is to learn, actually show up.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1256 on: <07-10-20/2101:20> »
From the perspective of the Brand something is better then nothing. Cash grabs are as old Unearthed Arcana, no shame in it.
But 6e ain't the dark side, it's the road no where. But please do let me know when all those newbies pulled in by how easy 6e is to learn, actually show up.
We know your feelings on 6E, since you've been very keen to pop in and announce them every time 6E is talked about. Ever think of taking a break and just letting all the hatred and vitriol go so the rest of us can enjoy the game?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1257 on: <07-11-20/0431:10> »
The newbies have showed up repeatedly, but the vitrol sure didn't help keep them around. :-\

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #1258 on: <07-11-20/0450:14> »
The newbies have showed up repeatedly, but the vitrol sure didn't help keep them around. :-\
Competing hypothesis: they looked at 6e, hit the same stumbling blocks most of the rest of us did, concluded it wasn’t worth their time, and dumped Shadowrun.

Difficult to know which is the prevailing factor but I don’t believe you can rule this scenario out other than through wilful blindness to 6e’s problems.

For the sake of the game, I’d rather people formed a fair first impression and went into it with their eyes open than buying the book, discovering they have issues with it, and getting frustrated. This applies to all editions of Shadowrun, all of which have their warts and ugly bits that people ought to be aware of going in.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1259 on: <07-11-20/0918:30> »
Please remain on topic. We're not going down the path of like/disliking the new rules.