NEWS

6th - Shotguns

• 45 Replies

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <10-29-19/2013:31> »
Great insight, guys. To clarify my concern though, if you deployed a bipod/tripod at 40 meters and fired from a stationary position in a firefight, wouldn't you just get shot down in seconds? The bonuses provided from a mechanical standpoint are excellent but I'm having a hard time understanding it immersion-wise. I picture bipods and tripods as being used from "safe" positions, not out in the open at ranges where pistols can shoot the user down (in-game).

Fire-and-Maneuver, bounding overwatch, leapfrogging, and other small unit tactics work quite well in Shadowrun. The basic idea is that if you need to move through a space while being shot at (or you expect to be shot at soon) only half of your group should move and the other half should be shooting.

A combat round in Shadowrun is only meant to represent a few seconds of time, with everyone constantly doing stuff simultaneously and not just politely waiting their turn. So Samurai Sam might sprint forward, drawing his katana and his machine pistol; Molly McMercenary takes a knee behind a crate, steadying her shotgun’s bipod on it, and throws some lead downrange, hopefully suppressing the enemy; and Dickie Decker dives behind hard cover and starts hacking.

Three-ish seconds later, Sam has taken cover behind a forklift, so he throws a suppressive burst towards the enemy; Molly stands up and sprints closer to the enemy, reloading her shotgun as she runs...

Now, ideally, if you have to take a long range shot you’re doing it with long range weapon (or you have a stupendously high dice pool). But even a crappy weapon used by a guy with a tiny dice pool can contribute: every die you roll has a “6” on it, right?
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #31 on: <10-29-19/2152:22> »
Great example. I guess I'm picturing the combat slightly incorrectly, I was under the impression you plant the bipod and then hold the position. I didn't realize bipods and tripods were utilized while on the move as well.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <10-29-19/2214:27> »
Great example. I guess I'm picturing the combat slightly incorrectly, I was under the impression you plant the bipod and then hold the position. I didn't realize bipods and tripods were utilized while on the move as well.

Tripods, not so much, mostly because those tend only to be used (in real life) on crew-served weapons, for example a M2HB heavy machine gun. One man will carry the weapon, another will carry the tripod, and somebody else hauls ammo for it... you’re looking at approximately 130-150 lbs. all told.  You don’t fire these things on the move.

But then again, our armed forces have a distinct lack of Trolls.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <10-30-19/0646:38> »
My character is a troll with 8 strength :D Bipods are for being prone or sitting, tripods are for kneeling or sitting. In Shadowrun, I picture bipods as better if you're holding a position and tripods being better if you're somewhat mobile. I've been considering homebrewing an underbarrel weight that provides 1 AR since I'm pretty sure that's what it'll do in the combat book.Then maybe I can bring a bipod for times when I'm holding a position.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <10-30-19/1123:23> »
You’ve got the bipod/tripod relationship backwards. A bipod is small and light, it’s best if you plan to be on the move a lot; a tripod is large and bulky, it’s best if you’re going to be holding a position.

That’s why you’ll see modern soldiers with bipods on their assault rifles, carbines, and squad automatic weapons and only see tripods on heavy machine guns and the like.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <10-30-19/1203:29> »
According to the book though, bipods are used when prone or sitting, tripods are used when sitting or kneeling. While prone and at a distance, you get a nice boost to AR and some defense dice.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <10-30-19/1336:21> »
This would not be the first time Shadowrun got things muddled in their firearms terminology. We've been waiting for thirty years for them to figure out that "clips" aren't what they think they are...

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #37 on: <10-30-19/1406:43> »
They figured that out ages ago. It's already been addressed in-universe even. Get with the times, oldtimers.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <10-30-19/1419:56> »
This would not be the first time Shadowrun got things muddled in their firearms terminology. We've been waiting for thirty years for them to figure out that "clips" aren't what they think they are...

In the fictional Sixth World, the english language has diverged and "clip" formally DOES mean what we mean in the real world when we say "magazine".
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <10-30-19/1509:32> »
Bah! Kids today with their cyberjacks and augmented reality... and what the drek is an “omae” anyway?! In my day, chummer, we had to share one cyberdeck between six ‘runners and we liked it! We had to drive our Yamaha Rapiers from Tacoma to Downtown — in acid rain! — Uphill!

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #40 on: <10-30-19/1556:01> »
Listen, don't make me close this thread. You all know the rules–"NO DISCUSSING CLIPS/MAGAZINES!"

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #41 on: <11-03-19/0005:48> »

Should have brought Shotguns.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Hechtic

• Newb
« Reply #42 on: <03-09-20/0029:46> »
Did I miss where the cost of the shottie ammo is listed in the book or the errata? I have went over both multiple times and have not found it, but I have also been known to be blind when looking for something specific as well

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #43 on: <03-09-20/1757:54> »
Did I miss where the cost of the shottie ammo is listed in the book or the errata? I have went over both multiple times and have not found it, but I have also been known to be blind when looking for something specific as well.

I assume it's under "Rifles" in the Ammo Costs by Weapon Type table (SR6 p.262).

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <04-04-20/1539:44> »
Shotguns also have an underbarrel mount, which SMGs lack. That means you can use a bipod/tripod, or combine a laser sight / external smartgun with e.g. a scope. If you want to add both a scope and an external smartgun, you can't do that with the Praetor. You can do that with a Roomsweeper.

That said, there's indeed a lot of people that would like some extra rules for Flechette shotgun spreads. No idea if the combat book will have anything, we'll see in time. If not, I expect houserules to run galore. But I can understand the choice to leave such firing modes out of CRB.

I preferred when the roomsweeper was under the pistol category.

I honestly don't know what it is supposed to be now.  Its the highest damage shotgun, it is in the shotgun category so can use underbarrel. Traditionally its pistol sized and it gives a mention of it falling out of a pocket. What size is it for concealing, is it two handed, or one.