NEWS

Missions and Cons...Probably stupid questions, but...

• 17 Replies

Mara

• Ace Runner
« on: <05-09-12/0242:31> »
So,I am looking over the Shadowrun Missions events(both the London Calling Series and the standard Season 4 Missions),
and I have a couple questions:

1) How does one get their Mission Characters approved for use in the series?
2) I would assume that one has to make a separate character for each series, is that correct?

Crash_00

« Reply #1 on: <05-09-12/0252:58> »
I'm not familiar with London Calling at all, but as far as making a missions character, all you have to do is make your character following the Season 4 FAQ rules that can be found here.

Each character has to be retired after they reach 150 karma. If they end a season at less than that, they can fill out a rollover karma log and continue with the same character into the next season but they lose contacts that were season based due to the change in city.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #2 on: <05-09-12/0317:35> »
1)  Characters don't really need to be pre-approved.  Gamemasters may ask to look over your sheet before each game, just to make sure everything looks legal, but beyond that, we're mostly on the honor system.  We trust our players and our gamemasters.

2)  We're doing something a tad different with the Convention Missions this year.  Rather than 8 completely unrelated adventures, we;re doing two sets of adventures that have that are loosely linked.  There are four adventures set in Tir Tairngire that form the Land of Promise Adventure Series, and 4 set in London that form the London Calling Series.  Each set of adventures has some ties to each other (Primarily recurring NPCs and being set in the same location), but do not need to be played in any particular order.  Other than some organization to them, treat these the same as previous years' CMP adventures.

3)  CMPs (Convention Missions) are designed to be "filler" adventures that can fit anywhere into the main seasonal story arcs.  they're side-quests.  The same character can (and should!) play both the regular SRM adventures and the CMP adventures.

Bull

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #3 on: <05-11-12/2252:09> »
If you have a weird character concept, be prepared to explain it, and how it still follows the rules.

I for one run a strange pixie tech-adept, so I actually made up a note card summarizing the character to hand to a GM at the start of an event. Saves on time and allows me to keep some secrets from the other players. :)

-k

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-17-12/0442:21> »
So...what would someone recommend for Contacts? Pick from the official Mission's contacts, or pick from the normal list? or what?

Come to think of it: What sorts of Knowledge skills are recommended(given that it is so open ended..in my group, I would make
sure every knowledge skill picked would be used somewhere...But Missions is a bit more structured then my games, so....)
« Last Edit: <05-17-12/0450:31> by Mara »

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <05-17-12/0502:12> »
The Missions-specific Contacts are going to be more immediately relevant for legwork, for definite.  It's probably worth keeping the majority of your Contacts local to Seattle, and definitely worth having solid gear-getting Contacts (e.g. an Armorer and/or Street Doc for a sammie, Talismonger for a magician, etc. etc.).  Actually, Street Docs are always useful!

As for Knowledge Skills, you might consider Seattle Politics, Ork Underground, Seattle Media, Knight Errant Procedures (always!), Paranormal Threats, Ways In Which Governor Brackhaven Is A Massive Douche, and things like that ;-)
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <05-20-12/0342:38> »
So...how strange are Mission's GM(especially the poor ones at cons) prepared to deal with?
For example, I have a Street Sam build that uses almost exclusively: Squirt Gun and a Battle Rifle with Capsule rounds, Splash and
gas grenades. My stuff ranges from KE IV(for Bug Spirits..always gotta be prepared for Bugs!) to NarcoJect and NeuroStun to Warp.
Would this be a character that, I show up, and the reaction from a Missions GM would be to go "no..just...no!" or would be it "Oh cool! This should be interesting!" (This is, BTW,the character I am planing to bring to the GenCon Missions...)

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <05-20-12/0824:18> »
I can't imagine that those will be a problem.  Then again, my (soon to be retired) Missions character carries a mag of KEIV, as do many other runners.  The stuff is so easy to get and so good at its intended purpose that there's no reason not to carry it.

There are things out there in Missions that are way, way more offbeat and so far I've seen the volunteers at Gencon be great about fitting them in.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #8 on: <05-20-12/1808:12> »
As long as it's legal, should be fine.  The big thing is, don't play a character that ruins the game for other players, or doesn't play well with others.  GMs can and will roll with almost anything, but they have orders to take disruptive players out back and beat them :)

Bull

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #9 on: <05-20-12/1851:10> »
As long as it's legal, should be fine.  The big thing is, don't play a character that ruins the game for other players, or doesn't play well with others.  GMs can and will roll with almost anything, but they have orders to take disruptive players out back and beat them :)

Bull
And I have a cane!  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #10 on: <05-21-12/0519:48> »

Bull
And I have a cane!  ;D

That would have been more intimidating if you have spelled it with a k.

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #11 on: <05-21-12/0537:55> »

Bull
And I have a cane!  ;D

That would have been more intimidating if you have spelled it with a k.

What's so intimidating about having a cake? ;)
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #12 on: <05-21-12/1226:00> »
What's so intimidating about having a cake? ;)
It means I'm pulling GLaDOS out of my personal toy chest.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #13 on: <05-21-12/2352:41> »
So...how strange are Mission's GM(especially the poor ones at cons) prepared to deal with?
For example, I have a Street Sam build that uses almost exclusively: Squirt Gun and a Battle Rifle with Capsule rounds, Splash and
gas grenades. My stuff ranges from KE IV(for Bug Spirits..always gotta be prepared for Bugs!) to NarcoJect and NeuroStun to Warp.
Would this be a character that, I show up, and the reaction from a Missions GM would be to go "no..just...no!" or would be it "Oh cool! This should be interesting!" (This is, BTW,the character I am planing to bring to the GenCon Missions...)

In Missions I play the aforementioned pixie driving a human suit, and a geriatric ninja wizard.

I think you'll be okay.

-k

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <05-22-12/0948:16> »
So...one thing I am curious about...
Say I get into a Missions game thanks to a no-show and generics. In the game is a character who has done Season 3 and a couple
Season 4 Missions, and everyone else is running characters that, maybe, just finished some of the London Calling and Land of Promise series missions.

How does a GM keep the newbie from being stuck being irrelevant because everyone else has more Karma and/or better gear?