NEWS

Bright is just Shadowrun ?

• 13 Replies

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« on: <07-23-17/0937:08> »
I wanted to know its not just me but Bright is just shadowrun right ?

Bright | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZCBSsBxko
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

DarkSpade

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <07-23-17/1030:37> »
Damn close.  Just set 60 years too early.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-23-17/1312:35> »
While it may not *be* Shadowrun, it's pretty damn close. I am really looking forward to this and hope it response will be strong enough to warrant future productions.

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #3 on: <07-23-17/1323:41> »
While it may not *be* Shadowrun, it's pretty damn close. I am really looking forward to this and hope it response will be strong enough to warrant future productions.

If this does well you guys might want to make just a short live action shadowrun Film :D
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-23-17/1716:40> »
Unfortunately, in this medium, I am a consumer, not a creator ;D. There are some fantastic short coming out these days...really like some of the stuff Neill Blomkamp and Oats Studios are doing.

Eric da MAJ

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <11-28-17/2342:51> »
I'm a little vexed at the idea of Bright.  I feel the franchise is getting watered down by Shadowrun imitators.  I don't know what's worse.  That it'll be so bad it makes the franchise passé.  Or that it might be so awesome it outshines it.  (Though that would be entertaining)  I'd love for there to be a real and good Shadowrun movie.  Even if it's only a fan made movie on YouTube.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #6 on: <11-29-17/1613:45> »
lets see...

Fantasy races set in a modern setting.
Magic. (At least magic wands..  Although that scene with Will Smith shooting with everything else in slow mo gave me a Physical Adept vibe..)

They throw in some cybernetics, and Inter-global Corporations, and I smell an infringement lawsuit...

On a Brighter side, it does look interesting! 
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-29-17/1830:37> »
The more urban fantasy, the better (caveat: GOOD urban fantasy)  ;D

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #8 on: <12-27-17/1729:16> »
So, Finally watched it.

It was pretty good! Good artwork, could have used a little more back story as they kept alluding to a 2000 year old plot that is only briefly talked about in the first 5 seconds of the movie. It felt like a fleshed out world, and even talked about a could of other races that you didn't see in the movie at all (Dwarves).

Could it be a "shadowrun" movie? IT hits a lot of the bases, and is only really missing 2 Shadowrun key parts - the Matrix and Cyber technology. In both those respects, the world of Bright is very much at the same technology base as us.

It's on Netflix, and worth the 100 minutes of you life.   
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <12-28-17/0928:35> »
Finally got the chance to watch this last night...really enjoyed it. Even more encouraging, so did my daughters. ;D

I am quite happy to hear that they have already signed a sequel...really looking forward to that when it drops.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <12-28-17/1148:02> »
I wanted to know its not just me but Bright is just shadowrun right ?

Bright | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EZCBSsBxko

Meh, just 'cause there's Elfes n' Orks in it ( and Centaur & Dragons) doesn't make it SR .
Its a paralele Universe where Elves and Orks coexist with Humans (and other Races) for at least 2000 + Years

If you have to campare it with an RPG , how about D20 Urban Arcana or GURPS Technomancer ?
it's a nice Action/ Cop-Buddy Movie with its own (unique ? ) Background .
And Rumors have it that a second Part is planned

Hough!
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #11 on: <12-29-17/1916:37> »
It's Shadowrun if the Fourth World never gave way to the Fifth World it seems.   :o
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <12-29-17/2010:19> »
Based on the comments made during the movie, it actually sounds more like the World of Tolkien. But then after the events of Lord of the Rings, the timeline continued into our regular modern day. I don't remember them commenting on religion much so it sounds like the whole "Dark Lord" thing happened instead of the rise of Christ (happened 2000 years ago).

The big thing is that Magic was never common or widespread enough to develop a dependency (the way a lot of D&D settings end up being magic-centric). And it seems like it has gotten rarer and rarer as well.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <12-30-17/1245:13> »
If you have to campare it with an RPG , how about D20 Urban Arcana or GURPS Technomancer ?

And Rumors have it that a second Part is planned

I think you’re spot on with your comparison to Urban Arcana...though the exact same thing while watching.

Multiple media outlets have reported a sequel has been ordered...think it hit 11M+ streams in its opening weekend.