NEWS

Ideas for an AI

• 6 Replies

Tsujigiri

• Newb
« on: <08-28-12/1458:41> »
Hi!

In my next run I wanted my group to infiltrate a building and tamper with its internal systems. We're all pretty new at Shadowrun, so I was going to go relatively easy on them, but I wanted them to encounter an AI that lives in this building.

And this is where I am stuck. The plan was to have the AI interfere with them when they're trying to manipulate the building's systems, but that would be rather boring for the non-hacker players (the group consists of a Hacker, a Shaman and a Samurai). Also, I don't want them to necessarily fight the AI, as the run should be done stealthily and I'd prefer if they could somehow outwit it (I just can't come up with anything).

One idea was that  the AI occassionally makes people disappear for minor "offenses" like smoking outside the designated areas and the players are dangerously close to becoming its latest victims by breaking into the building. Unfortunately, I cannot come up with any ideas on how to not turn this into a fight where only our hacker would have anything to do.

Any ideas?

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <08-28-12/1523:25> »
Cleaning robots, drones, misbehaving elevators and doors. Fire systems.

Some of it depends on the setup your going for. If your making it be a stealth mission your options are going to be pretty limited.

What type of building are they breaking into? Apartment complex? Research building?

One thought, especially if it's an apartment complex, instead of an AI make it a security spider, but not a legitimate one. Think the crazy gossipy neighborhood watch lady who's got herself some decent hacking skills. She's been living there for years so she's got accounts on pretty much everything in the building and even some things that might not be expected. As their tiptoing past one of the apartments that's actually a drug den the PA system suddenly allows "This is the police, open up" que a response of "slot off pig" and rolling initiative.

Basically if your willing to fudge with the core concept to support the ghost in the machine concept there's a lot of fun to be had, it's just a matter of deciding how much power the antagonist has and how loud they can be without jeapordizing your mission hook.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

Tsujigiri

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-28-12/1550:06> »
Thanks for the input. I really like the idea with the PA system!

The building in question is an office building. There's some human security, but because of an earlier run by other, rather violent (NPC) runners, they're not overly keen on investigating strange noises etc.

But you already gave me some nice ideas on how to mess with my players :D

Father_Twilight

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <08-28-12/1644:20> »
an AI idea for you, The Librarian. Seeing as you are in an office, premise of this AI is that its original programming was database management, and since it has become sentient it became obsessed with obtaining and protecting information. As such the hacker may find this AI suddenly hacking into HIS commlink, trying to suck up any information he has, and turning the building defenses against the group if  their actions in any way endanger the databases that he holds more dear then a mother her children.

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« Reply #4 on: <08-28-12/2105:26> »
As Lurker mentioned, there is a lot of ways you can mess with the real world from the 'trix, to give your non-hacker players stuff to do. For inspiration, work backwards through this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/odds/bofh/
"If you are expecting a rousing speech, or a cunning plan that will get us out of this, I will have to disappoint you. I don't have any. We either do this, or we die. And the world dies with us."
"I paid quite a lot to get all of you here. I expect you to give me my money's worth. Shogun out."

Tsujigiri

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <02-10-13/1423:20> »
Kind of late, but I wanted to quickly let you know how it went.

It turned out that I did not need to do much to get my players really paranoid, malfunctioning elevators and a cleaning drone bumping into them all the time was already enough.  ;D

Thanks again!

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #6 on: <02-11-13/0307:48> »
The elements of classic horror are both simple and genius, anything that can happen where a person does not seem to be or was not expected are the best.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!