NEWS

What is the point?...

• 18 Replies

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <12-24-12/0539:30> »
My intent was not to whine, it was more to understand where I stood in regards to purchasing the books I am missing.. I need around 10 books to have everything that was released under 4th.. but since I have so many books to go through already I was trying to understand why they are still releasing what is instantly obsolete books.

Again I wasn't out to offend, just trying to get a grip on what is comming.. If there is only minor tweaking needed to make a piece of gear or a source book make sense no biggy..

Well, there are a number of reasons I can think of.  First, with the sole exception of 4th edition, you could use the same books
from 1st and 2nd editions all the way up until 4th edition came out. This is a bit of the Shadowrun paradigm. I know, my group
used some stuff from RBB right up until Rigger 3 came out...We used some stuff from Street Sams Catalog all the way until Cannon Companion came out, and even then, it was more that the CC reprinted all that stuff..

Second, they know that there is always going to be a delay on a new edition embrace by current edition players. Current edition
players might wait for a couple books to come out before they make decisions on the new edition. If you think D&D Edition wars are bad....I understand that on that other forum, they STILL have mods monitor closely any thread that is starting to
discuss the editions, simply because..SR Edition Wars need LOTS of asbestos undies and lead-lined suits...

Third, well, they still need to make money. And people are going to buy new books for the fluff in them as much as
for any mechanics. I do not care how much the system changes, I will still, for example, use Attitude's first two chapters
as required reading for new players in my group.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #16 on: <12-24-12/1341:07> »
... but since I have so many books to go through already I was trying to understand why they are still releasing what is instantly obsolete books. ... If there is only minor tweaking needed to make a piece of gear or a source book make sense no biggy..

Apparently what we've been saying is 'tl;dr', so your answer is this: because the odds are pretty good that the books being released are fluffy (thematic), not crunchy (rules-heavy).  Capice?
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

_-Target-_

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <12-24-12/1417:24> »
Lol I never tl;dr, I think it is rude, and the counter point to even going to a forum..

I just felt there might be a tone that was making me sound like I was complaining..

Thanks for the clarification about how they handled previous editions.. of course that being said this is the first time Catalyst rev'ed edition correct?

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <12-24-12/1422:02> »
Theoretically you could say it's the second if you count going from SR4 to SR4A.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen