What no Rob the vedio robot pet?
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

burntheartist

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <09-09-10/1902:44> »
As too a grouping system you do something like log in to the game ok your in a bar with other players (Runners) you use a LFG type thingyou find a few people say 3 to 5 to go with you

then once your grouped up who ever is the leader has their commlink go off it's Mr Johnson he wants to meet with you.

Ok time to run.

Well an ideal Shadowrun game to me would be what people are calling a 'hub MMO' where social areas are set aside for meeting up with people and buying hierlings and what not to set up a 'run'.

If the technology existed going completely Sandbox with some devilish AI and event planners keeping the Sprawl feeling alive; but alas the cost for that sort of system now is outrageous.

But with cloud gaming catching on, perhaps something we've not seen before could be developed.

kinderkrieg

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <09-10-10/0016:29> »
there actually was a group of vid game creators working on an mmo, but microsoft shut em down here's the site explaining the situation.
http://www.shadowrunmmo.com/

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #20 on: <09-10-10/0541:21> »
there actually was a group of vid game creators working on an mmo, but microsoft shut em down here's the site explaining the situation.

Sigh thats M$ for ya.
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #21 on: <09-16-10/2109:39> »
What would be kinda cool is that if you level enough eventually you could become more than just a runner. You could maybe go into different profession such as a Fixer or a Mr. Johnson.

Even the possibility of becoming a Corporate Man would be interesting, then you would not even have to assemble your own teams.
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

VertiGo

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <09-17-10/1527:59> »
This could get interesting for Hacker classes, as they would be spending most of the time in the In-Game version of the Matrix. So at any given time, there are two worlds, one the "real" world, and the other, an internet simulation of... Internet... Simulations... of the internet?

This could get nutty.
"How the hell are we supposed [insert impossible situation]?!"
"Very carefully."

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #23 on: <09-17-10/1711:48> »

Sigh thats M$ for ya.

Was anybody REALLY that surprised by what happened?

With the way trademark laws work in the US, IP owners HAVE to go after violators. They could lose ownership of their property if they don't.

The foolishness was engaging in a significant project like an MMO, WITHOUT securing a license to begin with.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #24 on: <09-18-10/0205:06> »
This could get interesting for Hacker classes, as they would be spending most of the time in the In-Game version of the Matrix. So at any given time, there are two worlds, one the "real" world, and the other, an internet simulation of... Internet... Simulations... of the internet?

This could get nutty.

2 worlds?? try 3 The meat world the astral world and the matrix. Granted not all magic types sit all day in the astral but if your gonna do Shadowrun that 3rd world has to be there too.
Joel "Casazil" Rogers

burntheartist

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <09-18-10/0344:53> »

This could get nutty.

2 worlds?? try 3 The meat world the astral world and the matrix. Granted not all magic types sit all day in the astral but if your gonna do Shadowrun that 3rd world has to be there too.

Eh. Old waters for MMOs to travel. SWG had several quest hubs, large areas for player made content, and literally open space for twitch combat.

I think the hardest part for the IP to translate over is.. What would be an acceptable 'look' to the matrix that could please everyone? I mean we all have our own perceptions of what it looks like and what's capable there. Same with the astral world. Tho' 2nd's Grimoire flavor text and descriptions would be awesome visually rendered.

Krypter

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <09-26-10/1906:33> »
Another problem would be that in traditional fantasy MMOs you end up with a character who can take on gods and demons and romp across the whole world laying waste to it, and in Shadowrun that kind of goes against the whole "street ethos" at the core of cyberpunk. Fighting 3-story robot Red Samurai with nuclear cannons in 20-man raiding teams atop the Renraku Arcology would really ruin the feel for me.

...but some would love it.
"Degrade first the arts if you'd mankind degrade,
Hire idiots to paint with cold light and hot shade."
-WB

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #27 on: <09-28-10/2314:42> »
My biggest worry about a Shadowrun MMO is... the other players.

Nothing is going to ruin immersion than a bunch of jerkwads with probably offensive character names griefing everyone.

-k

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #28 on: <09-28-10/2322:06> »
My biggest worry about a Shadowrun MMO is... the other players.

Nothing is going to ruin immersion than a bunch of jerkwads with probably offensive character names griefing everyone.

-k
Nothing chases me away from an MMO faster than the players that are on it 12 hours a day, playing it for the 'wicked killz' or whatever their calling it nowadays. I've tried WoW, Guild Wars, City of Heroes, LotR Online, D&D Online and ton of other games. They're all lacking the same thing: role-playing. If I'm going to play a game that's supposed to immerse me in their world, I'd like that world to at least pretend to be a place I'd like to visit and not a place where I have to worry that I can't get into guilds or groups because I don't spend eight or ten hours on the game everyday killing orcs and/or elves.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <09-29-10/0452:48> »
There do tend to be dedicated RP servers on most of the games you mention, FJ.  Those tend to have stricter rules concerning such things.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Register